Autism

PennywisePennywise Regular
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have this friend who is kinda different. A strange bird some would say. One day I just blurted out that he was autistic, and I was being sarcastic. Somehow he decided to self diagnose himself as having a form of autism called aspergers syndrome. "In Asperger's Disorder, affected individuals are characterized by social isolation and eccentric behavior in childhood. There are impairments in two-sided social interaction and non-verbal communication. Though grammatical, their speech may sound peculiar due to abnormalities of inflection and a repetitive pattern. Clumsiness may be prominent both in their articulation and gross motor behavior."

So now he uses this assburgers self diagnosis to purposly act stupid, like the other day I asked him to pack my smokes. Now he smoke and has packed his ciggarettes everytime he buys a pack and so he acted like he didnt know what "packing" was. And i dismissed this because he was acting out his assburgers symptoms. He needs attention. Anyway I was talking to him about shit and he was defending himdelf using the incident about the fact that he didnt know how to pack ciggarettes, im just about to give up on him, obviously he has a dissorder but its not assburgers syndrome. Is stupidity. Damnit. I dont know what to do. He's a shit head. What do y'all think?

Comments

• TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd say 50% or more of the people who claim to have it don't and are self-diagnosed.

That's why people treat it like a joke, it's has become a trend for losers with no social skills to justify their worthlessness.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    TSAoD wrote: »
    I'd say 50% or more of the people who claim to have it don't and are self-diagnosed.

That's why people treat it like a joke, it's has become a trend for losers with no social skills to justify their worthlessness.

This. Generally anybody who self diagnoses mental disorder is a worthless faggot. Sadly since everybody has the internet it's a common practice now.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    We have someone with Asperger's on here.
  • TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited February 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    We have someone with Asperger's on here.

Who?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm schizophrenic.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    I know several people who claim to have Asperger's and are self diagnosed. I can't stand to be around most of them. Go off on your friend. Tell him what you really think about it. I say if someone is going to ctovhave have a clinical disorder they need the prescription and doctor to back it up.
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited February 2011
    Who?

There's probably more than a few on these types of forums.

It's really a quite complex mental condition. The symptoms present themselves in different ways, so it's hard to self diagnose. A lot of people who claim to have it simply lack social skills and confidence, which is one of the primary traits, but not an indicator on its own.

I was diagnosed on 2 separate occasions. Once when I was 6 and my parents were trying to determine why I spent every day in my bedroom reading educational books and building odd contraptions, and again in high school when I had to be psychoanalyzed before the administration would let me back into the school district. (Long story involving energetic materials, several fires, and accidental destruction of government property. Will provide story upon request.)

I do posses many of the traits, but I'm not entirely convinced by their diagnosis. I'm fairly socially isolated, but it's more by choice than anything; I find the majority of humanity to be uninteresting and painfully predictable. The majority of my knowledge does consist of information ordinary people have never heard of and likely never will should they manage to avoid crossing paths with me in life, but I simply enjoy learning about obscure topics. I also find many of the things normal people consider routine to be impossibly difficult or straight up retarded, but that's my logical mind at work. All of this does inhibit my social interactions, but I actually prefer the company of Totse to that of 90% of individuals IRL...

Shit, maybe those damn psychologists are right after all.
  • edited February 2011
    For anyone who does have a genuine disorder of the brain, my sympathies. There are several conditions stemming from either developmental problems or neurochemical imbalances that can be invisible to the casual observer but highly damaging to the social life of the person afflicted. It is hard to relate to those around you if your cognitive processes do not match what is considered normal. I hope any totseans with a genuine problem finds some solace in these forums, where we are judged differently than IRL.

On the other hand, people who use mental illness as an excuse like the one in the OP are fucking faggots and should be slapped silly. I have a buddy that I have known for the last 25 years that has just decided he is bi-polar. And he shopped through a dozen doctors until he found one that he could con into agreeing with him. Now he "can't work until he gets his meds straightened out" and thinks he is not responsible for all the dickhead shit he pulled over the last few years. Truth is the guy just wants an easy answer to a complex problem.

His problem is both a lack of self discipline, and self respect. He wants to have an easy way of not being responsible for his actions. In my opinion, if a person blames their problems on an outside source they deny themselves the opportunity to improve their situation. You can't change your upbringing, and sometimes we are all damn uncomfortable in the bed we have made for ourselves, but unless you can accept that your behavior is a self determined thing and not a result of the past, how do you expect to change it?

I love my drugs and booze, and if anyone asks me why I do them I give them the straight goods, I love drugs and booze. I am not self medicating, I am not using them to deal with problems from my childhood I have repressed(although I did justify my behavior that way for a while, I gave it up when I decided to be responsible for my own actions), I just love drugs and booze, that simple.

Feeling shitty and edgy, snapping at your friends, being an irresponsible jerk, it's all you. You can backtrack and find the source sometimes, especially for the things that really set you off, but in the end it's all you. I used to complain incessantly about work to the point where it was pissing people off, I realized I was doing this and although I could not change the stress I was getting from work, I could change the way I dealt with it. And instead of getting some pills to "even me out", I learned to leave work at work.

Some people refuse to take responsibility for their own well being, and as a result the pharmaceutical industry has twice the customers it should.

C/O
    "so if after this post if anyone has a lot of benzos they figure they don't need anymore, please pm me"
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, I find that somewhat offensive, because I actually have been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, and spend most of my time trying to come off as "normal", if there is such a thing. It really ticks me off that people like me get classed as idiots because the real idiots try to come of as "impaired" or "intellectually challenged" just because some fuckers want to come off as smart while looking like an idiot. Now at work I get made fun of because I cant really carry on a real conversation with the other people on my sort, but I'm one of the most respected people because I know my stuff and have helped shape many of the practices we currently use at my facility. I know my sort inside and out and have analyzed just about every detail and can pretty much predict anything short of a power failure. Our current crew is pretty new, but everyone knows to ask me if they want a straight answer about whats going on. I hide my (dis)ability fairly well, Any only two or three people currently know about it. I've gone through too much shit as a kid, and as an adult because of people like him :angry:
    Excuses are for the weak.
  • edited February 2011
    Ok, I find that somewhat offensive, because I actually have been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, and spend most of my time trying to come off as "normal", if there is such a thing. It really ticks me off that people like me get classed as idiots because the real idiots try to come of as "impaired" or "intellectually challenged" just because some fuckers want to come off as smart while looking like an idiot. Now at work I get made fun of because I cant really carry on a real conversation with the other people on my sort, but I'm one of the most respected people because I know my stuff and have helped shape many of the practices we currently use at my facility. I know my sort inside and out and have analyzed just about every detail and can pretty much predict anything short of a power failure. Our current crew is pretty new, but everyone knows to ask me if they want a straight answer about whats going on. I hide my (dis)ability fairly well, Any only two or three people currently know about it. I've gone through too much shit as a kid, and as an adult because of people like him :angry:

:thumbsup:fuck the fucking fuckers
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    This. Generally anybody who self diagnoses mental disorder is a worthless faggot. Sadly since everybody has the internet it's a common practice now.

Quote for truth. I have a medical condition and deal with it, and it fucks me up at times. However, people who either have conditions, syndromes or whatever that could be self-diagnosed, then use them to piss people off ar ejust scum. Should be killed on sight.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited February 2011
    I generally find this to be the most accurate appraisal of the condition.
  • PennywisePennywise Regular
    edited February 2011

Right on, that's what pissed me off.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited February 2011

Not going to read the rest of this BS, but I worked with a guy that had aspergers. He was strange all around. But you knew he wasn't 100% right. It wasn't a big surprise. He only did his ticks when he though no one was looking. Socially he was very very awkward. I think he was 26 and looked about 18yr old. Lived with his mom.

But it was how he behaved when he thought we wasn't being watched. It wasn't creep shit. it was just a very strange gait, things he did with his hands, ect.

Smart kid actually, just socially inept. Had to fire him :facepalm:(wasn't my decision, I got no call in the matter)
    edited February 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Not going to read the rest of this BS, but I worked with a guy that had aspergers. He was strange all around. But you knew he wasn't 100% right. It wasn't a big surprise. He only did his ticks when he though no one was looking. Socially he was very very awkward. I think he was 26 and looked about 18yr old. Lived with his mom.

But it was how he behaved when he thought we wasn't being watched. It wasn't creep shit. it was just a very strange gait, things he did with his hands, ect.

Smart kid actually, just socially inept. Had to fire him :facepalm:(wasn't my decision, I got no call in the matter)

Wow Acid... I think you may have known him. :eek:
    edited February 2011
    Caesar wrote: »
    I generally find this to be the most accurate appraisal of the condition.

That is freakin awesome!!!