How do you oxygenate fish-tank water?

edited February 2011 in Life
I've already got a plant in my fish tank which helps to oxygenate the water, but I was wondering how else I could get some more oxygen into the water. I've read about those bubblers which you can place in the tank, but wont they be noisy?

Are there any other ways?

Comments

• HellishHellish Regular
    edited February 2011
    Powerhead such as a Vortech MP10 would be silent and add oxygen.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited February 2011
    What type of filtration do you use?
    Usually anything that causes surface agitation will be plenty,that is where the gas exchange happens.
    You also could place a small powerhead near the bottom of the tank so that there is good circulation throughout the tank.
    What type of fish do you keep?
  • edited February 2011
    Put a straw in the water and blow
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    Put a straw in the water and blow

this, or snorkles
  • edited February 2011
    this, or snorkles

LOL TROLLED U FUCKER PPL EXHALE CO2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    i didn't say nething bout blowing in it :o
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    One of those "waterfall" filters will do just fine, and you don't get that annoying bubbler hum.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    Get a bubbler anyways, they're so pretty. I had a castle that bubbled, complete with opening drawbridge :hai:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    BBBMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

air-pump3.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    If you use the waterfall, the noise is like someone taking an endless piss, I prefer the hum of the air pump, but thats just me. What would be interesting is to have a small tank of aquatic plants beside your fishtank, and some kind of a solar powered pump that would use the expansion of air heated by sunlight to exchange water back and forth. The fish poop feeds the plants, the plants oxygenate the water. Kind of a pocket ecosystem.