Anybody interested in a Totse beat battle?

LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I know there are a couple of members here that make beats, I thought it might be fun to have a beat battle.

I figured I could put together a sample pack with drum hits, instruments and sound FX in .WAV format and the only requirement would be using say the drum samples or something like that but you could use any synth you wanted or any of your own samples as well and leave it open for any genre. Then the community could vote on which they liked best.

I'd like to advertise it on Zoklet and Totse 2 as well because I know members of all 3 communities that would be interested. I will have the voting and link to the sample pack here.

I'm posting it here first but if I don't get a few of you to say you are in I'll have to take the whole thing over to Zoklet, and nobody wants that.

So let me know if you are interested! If I get a few of you to commit, I'll get the sample pack together and make an official thread about it. If this works out, hopefully we can do it monthly or bi-monthly. I'm open to changing the format as well in case most people just want to do hip hop, or dubstep or something link that.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    That sounds like fun! If I can use FL Studio, then I'm in for sure :)
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    That sounds like fun! If I can use FL Studio, then I'm in for sure :)

Thats what I use, mostly. Like I said the pack would be in .WAV format so anybody using any DAW would be able to use and sequence the samples.
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome. I'm not sure what you mean by DAW, but I'm up for the challenge providing I can actually use FL well enough to create something worthwhile. I'll give it a shot though, nonetheless.
    edited March 2011
    Awesome. I'm not sure what you mean by DAW, but I'm up for the challenge providing I can actually use FL well enough to create something worthwhile. I'll give it a shot though, nonetheless.

Digital Audio Workstation. FL studio, Reason, Ableton, Cubase all DAWS.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    ;)You build me up
    You break me down
    My heart, it pounds
    Yeah, you got me
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to participate. Are we allowed to have a melody and a bass line?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    I am not interested in participating in the this but it does posses a certain spectator appeal. From that point of view I would suggest that all entries be posted in a thread with a poll and allow the users to vote for the winner. Maybe make it a contest with a custom user title as the prize. On that note I would suggest the user title of Totse Masterbeater.
  • ImmaChrgnMaLAZRImmaChrgnMaLAZR Regular
    edited March 2011
    I am not interested in participating in the this but it does posses a certain spectator appeal. From that point of view I would suggest that all entries be posted in a thread with a poll and allow the users to vote for the winner. Maybe make it a contest with a custom user title as the prize. On that note I would suggest the user title of Totse Masterbeater.

Listen to this man...er....rodent.
  • edited March 2011
    Alright, so are you going to go ahead with this and make a nice WAV pack for us to use? I hope it actually all goes to plan and I can create something worth listening to... It's going to be all techno-y and shit.
    edited March 2011
    Gallows wrote: »
    I'd like to participate. Are we allowed to have a melody and a bass line?

Yea, I'm thinking the only requirement is everybody has to use the drum kit. Though you could arrange it however you wanted. Whatever else you wanted to do to your track is up to you.
    edited March 2011
    burroughs wrote: »
    Ohai cypher, yes I will battle you and your default FL studio beats. :D

LOL. Glad you came by Burroughs, I will kill you last. ;)

You guys will have to give me a few days to get started on this. I'm cleaning up after a fucked up malware infection and I haven't got everything working again. Plus Once I make the .WAV pack I'm going to advertise over on Zoklet and Totse2.
  • edited March 2011
    Malwarebytes FTW - Hope you get it all cleaned up soon bro. I really need to work on my FL skills by the way, so don't expect a very good tune from me. In fact, it will probably be terrible :) Is there going to be a deadline?
    edited March 2011
    burroughs wrote: »
    To be honest a drum kit is a bit broad. Maybe a required bassline or melody that has to be used at least once?

That was kind of the point. You can arrange the drums any way you want at any bpm or time signature and still have room to be creative with the melody and bassline. I'm afraid if we required everybody to use a melody and bassline we would get a bunch of entries that sound pretty much the same with different drum arrangements.
  • edited March 2011
    Personally, I really like the original idea which was presented in the OP - even more than the one which Burroughs has suggested. That's not saying it's a bad idea though, I can totally see where you're coming from and it's a good point which you made. I'm not sure though, I think I'd be happier working with some drums but that's just me :D
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited March 2011
    I am definitely interested!! I do have some experience in drums, have used FL studio in the past..! Can the OP make it more clearer on who is interesting by having a list of the contenders?
  • edited March 2011
    I want to try... Though everything I've made is rather shit. Partially because I only put 15 minutes in at a time.

Well, FL studio does take a lot of effort and getting used to, especially when you're just starting out. I've been using it for about 3 years now, and I'm still a complete noob. I've only just started being bothered to learn how I can make a decent sounding synth and bass and up until now, I've been making sounds with the presets :facepalm:

I reckon you should give it a shot dude, you never know what you might whip up.
    edited March 2011
    Alright, I've got my computer mostly cleaned up, enough I can use all my programs without any problems, so I'm going to start on the sample pack tomorrow after work when I have some time. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so to put together and find hosting for, I'll make a new official thread and then I'll need a volunteer to repost the thread over on Zoklet for me, I got banned again. I'll post it over on Totse2, and we'll get this thing started.

Once I make the official thread, I'll set a time limit for roll call and we'll have a week from the end of the sign up deadline to complete our entries. I'll set up a special Soundcloud account to host the entries and I'll pm the email adress and password to everyone involved so you can upload your tune. I figure after the deadline we'll make a new official voting thread with a soundcloud track from every participant embedded in the thread and let people vote for the winner.

I think DFG has ruled against custom user titles in the past but I'm going to see if we can change that for this contest. I don't see what other kind of prize we could really give anyone. Then again if we do end up doing this semi regularly I doubt he would be do give a new custum user title to every person that ends up winning, so mabye we should just forget a prize all together and be happy with bragging rights?

Anyway, we have almost 48 hours before the official thread goes up so if anyone has any questions, concerns or suggestions lets hear them now! I'm down to change it up in any way but once the official thread goes up I want to stick with our decisions.

I'd like to hear some ideas on the voting too, I'm thinking since we might or might not get a decent number of voters allow participants to vote as well? Some people obviously might vote on their own track, but it shouldn't affect things that much and frankly its all in good fun anyway. My main goal for this thing is to get people motivated to make tunes, be creative and hone their skills. Also I'm thinking we should have a required track length of at least 3 minutes?
  • edited March 2011
    Sounds great to me! Hopefully the fact that I'm away from home on the weekend doesn't slow me down too much with the creation process. I hope this is awesome! :D
    edited March 2011
    Sorry about the delay, been getting my ass kicked at work. I'm heading home soon and I'll get the sample pack together by tonight. Burroughs what do you mean by "remix"?
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry about the delay, been getting my ass kicked at work. I'm heading home soon and I'll get the sample pack together by tonight. Burroughs what do you mean by "remix"?

Basically, he's wondering if we have to make up our own melodies or remix ones from other songs. For example, instead of writing my own tune, I could just sample a Bob Dylan riff or some shit.

At least, I think that's what he's getting at.
    edited March 2011
    Basically, he's wondering if we have to make up our own melodies or remix ones from other songs. For example, instead of writing my own tune, I could just sample a Bob Dylan riff or some shit.

At least, I think that's what he's getting at.

Yea sure, go for shit. The idea of requiring people to use the drum packs is just to give everybody a common handicap, and to make sure nobody is just entering one of their old tracks, or worse someone elses.
    edited March 2011
    Sorry about the delay on this everybody, I'm currently banned from Zoklet so I wanted to wait until I can make a thread and pull some people from there into the battle. I'm unbanned saturday so expect the official thread on Monday or tuesday at the latest!
    edited March 2011
    http://youwillget.in/thevan/forfiles/TransRaper.mp3

I am astounded by my own maturity

LMFAO

Sorry I'm such a flaky scumbag guys. I swear I will throw something together tonight. Were going to get this going soon.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    ^that, winner gets a special mention and the resulting product will be featured on a special totse page.
    edited April 2011
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I keep forgetting about this. I will get this shit together but I'm looking at working 14 hours a day for at least the next three days. My executive chef broke her leg meaning my life is basically destroyed. sorry guys its coming, keep harrasing me about it.
  • edited April 2011
    It better be coming soon, because I'm starting to forget how to use Fruityloops! In fact, I haven't used it in a good month or two now :facepalm:
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited April 2011
    If anybody wants to make me some personalised hip-hop/ rap beats I'd really appreciate it. A totse collab?
    If you do tell me and I'll send you a few of my songs, let you form your opinion. If you like my style, and think you could work with it, I'll send you an acapella or two. And if I get back to laying down some new vocals more often we can start working together properly.
    I'll make my own thread so this one doesn't get too off topic.