Adhesives Thread

RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
Haven't seen one yet, and I'm sure it'd come in handy. I'll list different materials and the adhesives I find most useful for the application. I'll try sticking to stuff you can buy at a big box chain, and as close to mix-free as i can.

Wood
Titebond
Usually just use the yellow, but Titebond 2 and 3 have their applications. I believe 3 works very well for anything that sees a lot of water. It's cheap, it holds incredibly well, and if you ever have to take your project apart, the bond can be melted with steam. Also, has a decent working time. Still have to let it cure for 24 hours, but your project can be moved lightly within 45 minutes, typically.

Gorilla Glue
A decent alternative (much stronger), but I generally stay away simply because it's not industry friendly for me.

Metal
LockTite
Comes in varying thicknesses and heat ratings. It's really more for thread locking, but you can get by with some smaller applications if you don't know how to/want to weld or solder something. I've had some of this on a few...finicky connections on an AR15 mounted near the barrel. Don't recall the heat rating I used, but that shit held on.

JB Weld
Much thicker than the aforementioned. It's a 2 part mix, for the more commonly sold one. Holds really well, in my experience. Only problem I ever ran into was the heat rating was somewhat low. For most applications, it's not much of an issue, but when you're trying to ghetto rig your exhaust pipe to your busted catalytic converter, it doesn't hold up so well.

Vinyl
3M 77/90 Spray
There are alternatives and vinyl specific adhesives, but this is probably the best multi-purpose that works incredibly well on vinyl. Just did a guitar case doing wood to vinyl. Worked very well, and the vinyl isn't budging.

Plastics
Krazy Glue
Shit. If you need something that takes some abuse, stay away. It can work in a pinch, but I can't fucking stand this stuff.

Gorilla Super Glue
Holds reasonably well. Work time is usually 5 minutes or less. This can be good or bad, depending on your situation. Not my personal favorite, but a solid go-to when it's all I've got lying around.

Extreme Power
Love this stuff. Fairly cheap. Comes in 3 (known) thicknesses. Holds very well. It is a 2 parter, but the catalyst is in the form of an accelerant spray. After spraying, takes about 15 seconds tops for the glue to dry. Far harsher vapors than the above two. Personally, with the added work time prior to the spray, I can live with that.

Edit: I don't have any experience with cement glues or very much with epoxies. If anyone does and can post, I'll add it to the top with your name cited so everything is in a neat 'n tidy place.

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll try sticking to stuff

Do that. Also, this thread should be a sticky.

I don't have much experience with epoxy, other than that a mix of 3/4 epoxy with 1/4 thermal paste makes a nice thermal epoxy to pot electronics in (like a thumbdrive for example).