"Piracy is hurting music sales."

ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I recently held a survey on my music download blog. I've concluded that music piracy doesn't hurt music sales at all, but instead actually benefits sales as I already suspected from my personal experience. At least the, increase sales of music that is actually good. Many people who pirate music, myself included, buy the albums we like the most and would not buy nearly as much as we do now, or would just end up buying more albums we dislike.

Don't tell this to the big labels and the RIAA though. They're just out to make a buck by suing people who pirate music to "protect the rights" of the artist who doesn't see much of the money from the sales anyway and are often pro-piracy themselves, some vocal advocates being Trent Reznor of NiN and Fleet Foxes who thank piracy for their success. Sure, the artists at the top of the food chain lose some sales, but the sheer majority benefit.

What about you guys?

Comments

• MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    i get a lot of songs on the web. i hate buying a cd with only a few songs i like, so i do check it out online, even if it is on youtube that i check on.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I spend money going to Gigs instead of buying CDs. You end up spending more at Gigs and enjoy the atmosphere tenfold. Music bosses can go do one if they think we are harming their revenue. BAWW.
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I spend money going to Gigs instead of buying CDs. You end up spending more at Gigs and enjoy the atmosphere tenfold. Music bosses can go do one if they think we are harming their revenue. BAWW.

One advantage to going to a live show is that significant revenue actually goes to the artist.
    Srsly. Fuck record companies.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Record companies still need to catch up with the times. Piracy isn't going anywhere no matter what they do, so they might as well take advantage of it to promote music.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I agree with this ^ :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2011
    Artists aren't complaining.

Producers aren't complaining.

Managers aren't complaining.

Only the very richest men at the top are bitching and whining because they're not getting every possible cent that they could be. Cry me a river, RIAA, and Americas largest entertainment corporations.

EDIT: Also, they're against filesharing in general. Even if they found a means to stop us from downloading and sharing their copyrighted files, they wouldn't stop there. They want everyone to go through them to get music and entertainment.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    Artists aren't complaining.

Producers aren't complaining.

Managers aren't complaining.

Only the very richest men at the top are bitching and whining because they're not getting every possible cent that they could be. Cry me a river, RIAA, and Americas largest entertainment corporations.

EDIT: Also, they're against filesharing in general. Even if they found a means to stop us from downloading and sharing their copyrighted files, they wouldn't stop there. They want everyone to go through them to get music and entertainment.
    QFT! :angry:
    Since the big fat suits are teary eyed our governments are holding out their shoulders for them to cry on. Corporation & governmental unions are so fuckin bullshit it makes me wanna rage.
    Closing down a website just because they have a link to a torrent site.....& not even a direct link to any torrent. Is BS of the highest quality. All because some fat fucking suit is loosing out on revenue. No one else gives a shit, just the suits.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    I agree with everything that's been posted itt.

Fuck record companies. I support the artists I like by going to their shows and buying merchandise. If I bought all the albums from every artist that I liked every time they came out I wouldn't be able to pay my bills. Plus every album is a gamble, you never know if it's going to be worth it or not.
    Record companies still need to catch up with the times. Piracy isn't going anywhere no matter what they do, so they might as well take advantage of it to promote music.