Japan upgrades nuclear crisis to same level as Chernobyl.

edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Of course this being the Guardian the can't resist some liberal smarter-than-thou contrary comment:
Some experts criticised the move as excessive. "I think raising it to the level of Chernobyl is excessive," said Murray Jennex, associate professor at San Diego State University. "It's nowhere near that level. Chernobyl was terrible – it blew and they had no containment, and they were stuck.

"The containment has been holding, the only thing that hasn't is the fuel pool that caught fire. I don't see those as the same event. If they want to do that, that's fine. I think they're being overly pessimistic."

Source.

But given how the Japanese government has been trying to save international public face from the outset I wouldn't overerestimate any of their 'reassuring' statements, because the situation is not yet stable and probably won't be for some time:
“If the leaks continue, the total radiation from the reactors may exceed” that from Chernobyl, Junichi Matsumoto, general manager of one of the utility's nuclear divisions, said in Tokyo today.

Source.

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Never believe the levels the media says. Believe it when you see it on a geiger-counter.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Well, considering how the Tempco didn't come through about the situation before, I do fear the levels might be higher than expected. Since the major fuck up happened, it's hard to beleive what TEMPCO says anymore.

Word to the wise, stay away from Japan.
  • edited April 2011
    Well, I definitely don't believe this ridiculous Chernobyl claim for a second. If it was THAT bad, everyone would have gotten the fuck out of there already and bunkered up somewhere safe.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Are they gonna made a COD map out of it? That would be sooooo cool!
  • edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Are they gonna made a COD map out of it? That would be sooooo cool!

They should make a level which starts just before the quake hits. You then have to race to complete objectives before the Tsunami hits and the nuclear plant explodes, or something.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    They should make a level which starts just before the quake hits. You then have to race to complete objectives before the Tsunami hits and the nuclear plant explodes, or something.

Or survive after it ;)
    I have a feeling, given a few years, that something with a small link to this event will be released. Some may say "well the Boxing Day tsunami didn't have a game made out of it"...but who the fuck cares? They were brown people. This was a Westernised Nation!

:rolleyes: