attack reveals BitTorrent users on Tor network

MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/04/not-anonymous-attack-reveals-bittorrent-users-on-tor-network.ars

This only applies to those who use Tor for torrenting, which you shouldn't do anyway because that hogs the network. Those of us who use it for elsewhere should still be good. Personally I'm probably going to buy a Virtual Private Network soon so I can torrent anonymously quickly and for other browsing purposes.

Onionheads beware when using Tor for torrents, if you think you can't be sued for copyright just because you use Tor you're just lulling yourself in to a false sense of security. I'd suggest a VPN for these purposes, because of their speed and anonymity.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    How about a seedbox?
  • edited April 2011
    I can't stand it when I hear that people are torrenting on TOR. It's a waste of good bandwidth, and is incredibly selfish. If I catch anyone torrenting when they're using TOR, I make sure to give them a good seeing to :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Deepfreeze and cleanslate are better alternatives to that ^

My friend has been using deepfreeze in his cafe for 5 years and is been working perfectly.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    At Kent State University I had 12 systems in a training room that were always getting trashed and required constant support. That is until I installed Deep Freeze on them. That was the end of support issues for those 12 systems other than hardware failures.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    I use bittorrent and piratebay. do i have to worry?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the lol nick
    edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    TDR , you don't understand, I ...don't....want....to...freeze....I ...want....control....:)

Thanks though for your opinion.

With Deep Freeze you have full control. You can unfreeze at will and make changes. Then lock it back up and drag it through viral hell and back with no harm done.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Laptop + public WiFi

Cheers. But I'm low on cash ;)
    As for people who torrent on TOR, fuck you. It's slow enough at times, and people need to keep it open.
    edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    Lol..where did my reply go...oHHH forgot...have the automatic refresh on lol:facepalm:

anyway...will try the DF, it's free right ?:D, actually free it will be.:rolleyes:..lol..evaluate..?:eek:..what is that?:facepalm:

I thought all software was free? :confused:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember DeepFreeze 5 had some major bug with Vista back in '08. The icon would 'hide' itself when the cursor would hover over it making it impossible to 'thaw.' The keyboard combo wouldn't work either and running the setup to uninstall would give an error forcing the user to reformat.
    Be sure to download the latest version.
    edited April 2011
    Or just be sure to not run Vista.