Anyone need a guide to music theory?

GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was wondering if anyone be interested in a guide to music theory, how to read notation, key signatures, transposition and that kind of thing (It would progress from the basics to harder stuff). Or would that be wasted? Also I could do a guide around the mixing desk, the different sections maybe.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Go for it. I studied music theory when I was younger but I forgot it all :o
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Go for it. I studied music theory when I was younger but I forgot it all :o

Fair enough, its not the most exciting thing on earth lol But I suppose it has to be learnt :) I constantly have to refresh my memory, otherwise I will forget!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Never learned it but it would be awesome I got some general information about it. Thanks.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I can google.

Thanks anyways.
  • ak-49ak-49 New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    Go for it. It would be nice if you could find a good mix of making it a detailed guide while also making it conversational and easy to read. I've glimpsed at a couple of music theory guides and I get bored pretty quick.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    I was wondering if anyone be interested in a guide to music theory, how to read notation, key signatures, transposition and that kind of thing (It would progress from the basics to harder stuff). Or would that be wasted? Also I could do a guide around the mixing desk, the different sections maybe.

Don't look at it as waste, OP.
    If you find information to be useful, chances are that someone will browse through the site and find it useful as well. :D
    edited April 2011
    Don't look at it as waste, OP.
    If you find information to be useful, chances are that someone will browse through the site and find it useful as well. :D

Well said, I hadn't thought of that :) I think I'll start it then!
    edited April 2011
    ak-49 wrote: »
    Go for it. It would be nice if you could find a good mix of making it a detailed guide while also making it conversational and easy to read. I've glimpsed at a couple of music theory guides and I get bored pretty quick.

Thanks for the input, will do :) (Will try to make it more readable than the ABRSM theory books anyway, now they are dry!!! lol)
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited April 2011
    OP, I was about to trash this because it seemed like you were setting up a scam, but I realized you hadnt written the guide yet and was just asking the community if they would appreciate it.

Next time, dont ask, just do it. OF COURSE the community would GREATLY appreciate a guide on music theory. We could use some fresh material around here. Check out the other threads, all we have is people posting threads about bands they like, and that gets boring after a while.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited April 2011

I've been itching to know for a long time. Just as a quetion:how has music theory helped you with song writing, if you have written/improved music in the past?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    I think this would be a great addition to CMS and would like to read it myself. I have been plunking around on the bass for about 3 years but I really don't understand much of what I am doing.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited April 2011
    Yes, you should definitely write a guide on music theory. Im sure several people would get something out of it.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited April 2011
    Please do write a guide, I'm sure it'd be appreciated by others as well.
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I have never really cared to learn. I grew up around musicians and learned by ear but I would check it out just to see if i'm missing anything.
    edited April 2011
    OP, I was about to trash this because it seemed like you were setting up a scam, but I realized you hadnt written the guide yet and was just asking the community if they would appreciate it.

Next time, dont ask, just do it. OF COURSE the community would GREATLY appreciate a guide on music theory. We could use some fresh material around here. Check out the other threads, all we have is people posting threads about bands they like, and that gets boring after a while.

Sorry mate, I am new to this and I suppose I dont know the correct procedure for doing things like this.
    edited April 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    I've been itching to know for a long time. Just as a quetion:how has music theory helped you with song writing, if you have written/improved music in the past?

I love writing music! I am relatively slow at coming up with new compositions, and so I havent done many to date, mostly they are piano based compositions which I do in my spare time but for A levels I did a wind quartet piece and now Im getting to grips with Logic and Cubase.

To answer your question, the main way theory has helped me is that I notate the music that I create onto score. This enables me to keep a record of it, allow other people to play it, and also it allows me to orchestrate it so that it becomes more interesting. Example, I could create a composition on the piano, the right hand could be in the clarinet or the flute, and the left hand could use the French horns. I know that I could use use Logic to do that, but to do it on a scoring program like Sibelius I can do so much more like adding in the dynamics, and only print off the instrument parts that I need (like 2nd violins)!! To do that I need theory :)

Not only that, but if your writing for singers then its handy to know how to score music for that (Soprano, Alto,Tenor, Bass) in SATB score. Also, if you learn about modes, then you can compose the music to sound totally different while still in the same key signature! E.g if you take D major scale, and instead of starting on the D, start on the E instead with the same key signature (F sharp and C sharp) :) you'll get a new sound!

Though, the method of composition is still the same, I dont compose music sitting at the computer, I compose it while sitting at my instrument :)
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited April 2011
    I love writing music! I am relatively slow at coming up with new compositions, and so I havent done many to date, mostly they are piano based compositions which I do in my spare time but for A levels I did a wind quartet piece and now Im getting to grips with Logic and Cubase.

To answer your question, the main way theory has helped me is that I notate the music that I create onto score. This enables me to keep a record of it, allow other people to play it, and also it allows me to orchestrate it so that it becomes more interesting. Example, I could create a composition on the piano, the right hand could be in the clarinet or the flute, and the left hand could use the French horns. I know that I could use use Logic to do that, but to do it on a scoring program like Sibelius I can do so much more like adding in the dynamics, and only print off the instrument parts that I need (like 2nd violins)!! To do that I need theory :)

Not only that, but if your writing for singers then its handy to know how to score music for that (Soprano, Alto,Tenor, Bass) in SATB score. Also, if you learn about modes, then you can compose the music to sound totally different while still in the same key signature! E.g if you take D major scale, and instead of starting on the D, start on the E instead with the same key signature (F sharp and C sharp) :) you'll get a new sound!

Though, the method of composition is still the same, I dont compose music sitting at the computer, I compose it while sitting at my instrument :)

Your passion is catching :thumbsup:
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited May 2011
  • JackJack Regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd love a guide that shows me music theory and shows me why I should care by relating it to, if you will, lay music -- by which I mean I play bass and organ, by ear, tab, and simple sheet music, and I find it hard to be interested in music theory because it seems largely irrelevant to actually doing the music.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    If you wanted to be a good writer and make a name for yourself it would be essential to know about basic grammar and writing technique, the same is true with music. You don't need to flood your head with music theory, but if you don't know the essentials then you will never be a great musician.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited May 2011
    I know about basic grammar and writing technique, just as I know some basic music theory (the principle of scales, types of chords, the idea of keys, tempo, volume, some points of style, etc.) -- but while I can string good sentences together and even proofread, I am no grammarian. Along the same lines, I don't know a lot of music theory and I don't know why I need to. I can play music just fine without understanding the circle of fifths or what frequency so-and-so note is at or whatever the fuck.