Shatterproof Windows?

LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
Got an Idea yesterday about Bulletproof or Shatterproof car windows. is this at all possible for a vehicle? By shatterproof I dont mean anti theft tint, Think about passenger windows made out of strong plexigalss or something bulletproof. something that would resist a crowbar or baton. Rear and front windows would seem like a tricky thing but what about passenger windows. I dont think there are such things as Bullet Proof or shatter proof kits. what if there was a way to diy.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    It can be custom installed if that's what you're asking.
  • edited May 2011
    Custom installed plexiglass would work, although it might look a bit retarded. I'm pretty sure police use it somewhere, but I can't remember where I've seen it :facepalm:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Can be done easily, will add weight in some cases, might need to expand the Window slots but it will cost you and it will offer your protection in some cases.
  • edited May 2011
    I think the hardest part would be cutting the plexiglass to make sure it's a perfect fit. How the fuck are you gonna do that?
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I think the hardest part would be cutting the plexiglass to make sure it's a perfect fit. How the fuck are you gonna do that?

Seems like it would be a hard task, and getting them custom installed would be some mega $$$$$. There are supposed Heavy duty "Security Tints" but i've heard mixed reviews, but seems like the cheapest option atm.
  • Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    you might want to look into adding a layer of plexi glass behind the existing glass, screwed into the door if that's at all possible.

I would also add a mesh of holes for the sake of breath ability.

Yes it would look stupid, but it could work and, would be a much cheaper way to use the plexi glass.