My dog had to be put down...

edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
About a week ago she just stopped eating and was throwing up constantly so I took her to the vet where it turned out she had a ruptured spleen. They did the operation to remove it and it was HUGE - I'd say about the size of both your forearms - I'll see if I can find the photo later if you don't believe me. Anyway, they did general tests and it came back that she had liver cancer and something else to do with the bone marrow. I know fuckall about medicine or anatomy so I didn't make much effort to understand the science of it.

She was fine for a few days afterwards but then started just randomly falling over and crying. We were hoping it was just the stitches and staples that were hurting but it turned out to be way more serious. Treatment-wise, there was honestly nothing to be done that wouldn't make her worse, if anything, so it wasn't just an issue of not wanting to spend the money. It was really painful to watch at the end. :sad:

She was never an entirely healthy dog but out of nowhere (well obviously it was 'brewing' silently in the background but it never showed like this before) she just started going down. She was 7.5 which is about late middle age for the breed, I would guess.

What always bothers me is I wonder what they think as they're looking at you and suddenly feel themselves being injected and dying... :(

R.I.P Gina: 2003 - 2011

1ylr1i.jpg

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    That sucks mang :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    RIP Gina :(. Time heals everything.
  • edited May 2011
    Ouch, sorry for your loss mang :thumbsdown:
  • WANWAN Regular
    edited May 2011
    she was a cute dog, sorry to hear that
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    My condolences dude :(
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks all.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    its just a dog,

who cares go buy another one.
  • edited May 2011
    That's a haunting photo.

My condolences.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    sucks bro, i've had to put down my dog before :sad:
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited May 2011
    Dude, I'm sorry. That's awful, she was a beautiful dog. We just had to put my dog down the other day, actually. He was 14, and he just got too old. He was loosing his continence, had horrible arthritis, had a tumor removed from his ear, the whole works. At the end, he just wasn't eating, and he couldn't even get out of his doghouse. He died in the sideyard, covered in his own urine, surrounded by flies. The vet got there at the last second to put him out of his misery. :(
  • SemSem Regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sorry to hear this Dark Kaiser Redux. I had to put down our cat a few months as he had caught the feline calicivirus from strays spraying our front door.

About every couple of months he'd sneeze, cough, and vomit up blood to the point that we'd come home and our apartment would look like a murder scene. We ended up making probably one of my hardest decesions to put him to sleep as he was in so much pain.

I held this cat in higher value than most people and I still feel guilty about it as aside from his mini-ebola's he was perfectly fine. At the very least take solace in the fact that there was no other choice and that your dog is no longer in pain.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited May 2011
    Not that I don't honor the memories of the mentioned pets, although it is rather coincidental that a thread concerning this topic was made.

I recently saw a cat put down for the first time.

Held down in a quick manner on his side, stuck, then tossed in a neighboring cage in which it fell asleep.

A few minutes later it was removed from said cage checked for a pulse, injected with more fluid, during which I was requested to retrieve a white trash bag in which to dispose of the body in the back freezer.

For a rather ornery feline as it was while living, it went rather peacefully.
    Although I can't help but respect the man more after the vet started to whistle moments after leaving the room :)
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry for your loss.

We had to put our cat down a few years ago, after having loads of tests and even samples sent to a leading uni they still were unsure what was wrong. His skin was swolen up with watery puss and he refused to walk on the ground, and his fur was coming out in clumps.

I burried him under his favourite tree.