Make Ranch Dressing, and others. [Published]

edited July 2011 in Life
Our new contributor Psychotogen, the angry Sous Chef, loves ranch dressing so much, I figured I would post a method.:p I do all our salad dressings and dips from scratch at work, and the real product is usually much better than store bought, except for Asian Sesame, just can't figure that one out for some reason. I know I am in a kitchen full of talentless shmucks if they are buying things like cocktail sauce, and chipotle mayo, both of which can be made in under a minute, by a monkey, a handicapped monkey.

Lets start with Ranch dressing.

You will need;
1 cup mayo, not Miracle Whip, it's too sweet.
1/2 cup sour cream.
2/3 cup buttermilk.
dash of salt, might not need this depending on how salty the mayo you use is.
black pepper, fresh ground, to taste
1 teaspoon minced parsley.
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
optional; 1/8 tsp fine minced shallot, 1/8 tsp fine minced red pepper.

Mix it, taste it, tweak it, serve it to inbreds, use as suntan lotion, or to soothe ass chafe, it is very multi purpose.

Feel free to post salad dressing and dip recipe's here, I will bump the thread with a new addition now and then. If anyone has a good Asian Sesame dressing recipe, I would really appreciate it.

C/O
"asian sesame, I'm stumped, nothing I make tastes right, I attribute it to a lack of polysyllabic food additives"

Comments

• HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    you should make your own mayo, sour cream, and buttermilk too.
  • edited June 2011
    you should make your own mayo, sour cream, and buttermilk too.

Mayo, no problem, it degrades quickly on contact with air without the chemical stabilizers though. Sour cream I would assume uses the same method as yogurt, so it could be done, and I might try it. Where I would get the raw ingredient for buttermilk though is beyond me. I did just find out that all you need to do to make ricotta cheese is mix equal parts 2% milk and buttermilk, let them sit for an hour, bring to a boil and strain through cheesecloth (cheesecloth, it's for making cheese apparently), and I am going to try this soon.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited June 2011
    (cheesecloth, it's for making cheese apparently)

I'll be damned.

I never thought about making my own ranch dressing. Thanks for posting this. Something else for me to fuck up in the kitchen.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited June 2011
    thanks a lot douchebag :D.

I made a sesame vinagrette last week heres how:

It's more of a guide then a recipe.

Champagne Vinager
    Toasted sesame seeds
    ginger
    soy sauce
    white pepper

emulsify w/ sesame oil
  • edited June 2011
    thanks a lot douchebag :D.

I made a sesame vinagrette last week heres how:

It's more of a guide then a recipe.

Champagne Vinager
    Toasted sesame seeds
    ginger
    soy sauce
    white pepper

emulsify w/ sesame oil

I'll give it a go, I have been basing most of my attempts around a hoi sin, soy, ginger, rice vinegar, sesame oil base. This seems nice and simple, and maybe I have been trying too hard, thanks mang!
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited June 2011
    aye, try it man. hoisin almost seems like too deep a flavor. CHINESE KETCHUP!
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2011
    Taken from: Oral Indulgences
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Best dressing ever:
    3 parts red wine vinegar
    2 parts vegetable oil
    Get a ladle to measure and in the first ladle of vinegar dissolve salt in it until it turns from transparent red to a clouded pink.
    Add garlic salt, and other herbs to taste
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    Boomslang wrote: »
    Best dressing ever:
    3 parts red wine vinegar
    2 parts vegetable oil
    Get a ladle to measure and in the first ladle of vinegar dissolve salt in it until it turns from transparent red to a clouded pink.
    Add garlic salt, and other herbs to taste

In mine I use fresh rosemary, thyme, minced garlic, dijon mustard, honey and a dash of lemon juice. Blenders work wonderfully for emulsifying vinaigrettes.
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I'm not a fan of mustard but i will def give the herbs a shot. adding lemon juice to this is what my syrian relatives do.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    Mustard should be used sparingly, but it also acts as an emulsifier.