Idle in Team Fortress 2 - The BEST Way! [Published]

edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This guide will teach you how to idle in TF2 without affecting your stats at all! It allows you to join a match as a spectator (so your class stats aren't touched) and you can sit there for as long as you want without being kicked, dropped from the server, or anything else. The best part is, it runs using launch commands which you can run using a batch file. As far as I can tell, this is the best way of idling in TF2.

What is Idling?
Idling simply refers to connecting to a game server and sitting there, waiting for weapon drops. You can idle for as long as you want, meaning you can leave your game idling all night and day if you need to. As of right now, the drop system ticks over every Thursday at 00:01am - That's just after midnight on Wednesday! After this time, you can unlock items and weapons until you reach your limit, which is usually around 12 items. As drops are made randomly, the more you idle, the bigger chance you have of getting items!

Is Idling Considered Cheating?
This is a very gray area, as it's neither a yes or no answer. In the past, there was a time where an executable file was brought out, allowing everyone to idle and unlock stuff. Due to the fact that this was an executable file and wasn't part of the actual game, Valve clamped down on it and called it cheating. They also went and removed all the items earned by idling from everyone's backpacks, and gave the innocent players special hats.

The way of idling that I'm presenting to you doesn't use ANY hacks, mods or executable files. It simply uses launch commands to run the game in a command shell, connect to a server and spectate. This means that IT ISN'T CHEATING! Yup, it's a perfectly cheat-free way of idling on TF2.

How Do I Idle in TF2?
Open up Notepad, and type in the following;
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"
start steam.exe -applaunch 440 -console -textmode -novid -nosound -nopreload -nojoy -noshader +map_background ctf_2fort

Replace that directory location with the directory of your Steam folder if you need to, as it might be different to mine. Once you're done, name it and save it as a batch file! (That's .bat to all you nubs, and don't forget to select the "all file types" option in the drop down box.)

Is that... really all I need to do?
Yes, it really is. When you open up the batch file (note that you might need to run it as an administrator for it to work), a command shell should pop up on screen which should look like this...
W7.png

If it takes ages for you to get to that stage, don't worry. It will get there in the end :)

And that's how to idle in TF2 using launch commands, without cheating. Please note that I do not accept any responsibility for how this information is used. In the unlikely event that you get VAC banned or something, it's not my fault. That said, I really doubt you will, so happy idling!

Comments

• CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to copy and paste it, not type it, and there's nothing you can do about it, bitch. Good job, though :D
  • edited July 2011
    It's also important to realize that if you're a Free-to-Play player then even you can idle! It's just the same as idling as a premium player, and you can still get weapon drops just the same. Try it out!
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    It's also important to realize that if you're a Free-to-Play player then you don't get item drops anyway, so unless you upgrade your TF2 to a premium version then idling is pointless.

Are you F2P or did you buy the game/buy items in game?

I bought the game, bro, I already told you.... Unless.... You're not Medic?!? I just hadn't played it for a long time :o
  • edited July 2011
    ^ My bad, for some reason I didn't take in your username when I read your post :facepalm: Anyway, it's still useful information for any F2Pers around here!
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2011
    I am f2p...and I got items that weren't from achievements...

I have all the new heavy weps..it's just that i can't trade with people
  • edited July 2011
    Fuck. Well apparently F2Pers CAN get drops then, shit. Thanks for the information, now I need to go and edit that misinformation :facepalm:
    edited July 2011
    Fuck. Well apparently F2Pers CAN get drops then, shit. Thanks for the information, now I need to go and edit that misinformation :facepalm:

They can get drops, but only weapons. They also can't trade, so it's pretty fucking pointless, except I guess getting a "shortcut" to other weapons, which is bad for them anyway because the achievement and drop system is made that newbies start learning with the good/balanced weapons and slowly develop their unique play style. TF2 isn't your usual FPS and our fucking CoD addled assholes don't need "shortcuts". In any case, basically all the weapons are "sidegrades" rather than upgrades and some are straight downgrades. The "straight Upgrades" are few and far in between and only "straight upgrades" in the shittest fashion.

e.g. the Solemn Vow, which is basically the bonesaw but allows you to se enemy health.

TL;DR: F2Pers REALLY don't NEED to and SHOULD NOT idle.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    Does anyone have any good spy items? I have some shit I can trade for them :P
  • edited July 2011
    ^ Get on IRC and we will discuss it :) I'm still needing The Enforcer for the spy but I've got everything else.

ALSO, it's THURSDAY tomorrow! This means that starting from 00:01 tonight/tomorrow morning, you can idle in Team Fortress 2 and get lots of lovely weapon drops! I'm looking forward to it.
    edited July 2011
    Spy items?? All you need is the ambass/reg and the dead ringer..nothing else..
  • edited July 2011
    Uh, what about all of these? http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Spy#Weapons

There's a lot to unlock, and a lot of them are really awesome weapons to play with. Personally I play using the Cloak and Dagger a lot, with the ambassador as I like headshotting people with it.
    edited July 2011
    Uh, what about all of these? http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Spy#Weapons

There's a lot to unlock, and a lot of them are really awesome weapons to play with. Personally I play using the Cloak and Dagger a lot, with the ambassador as I like headshotting people with it.

Fuck C&D. Not dying =/= being a credit to the team. Even if you stab a pocket medic and get killed, once per life and every life, you're still being a credit, as opposed to sitting in a corner with your thumb up your ass. Dead Ringer is the BOSS.
  • edited July 2011
    Man, I NEVER sit in a corner when using the Cloak and Dagger. Fuck that shit, that's pointless and like you said, it's not helpful to anybody. I use the C&D well, I can assure you. I practice a lot, I'm always on the move and I get plenty of kills. Plus, I find the C&D to be very useful when taking down sentry nests as you can wait until exactly the right moment before you strike, without worrying about losing your cloak.

I'll make a video sometime for you using the new replay editor :) I might actually make a few videos and start a thread about it.
    edited July 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Well all I have at the moment is Ambassador and Clock and Dagger.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey man - it's drop night tonight so why not idle all morning long? That's what I'll be doing :) You never know, you might get some spy items drop.
    edited July 2011
    Well actually I'm running Ubuntu right now. My windows shit the bed so I decided to make the switch last night. I'm setting it up to dual-boot Windows so I can game right now.
    edited July 2011
    Well, the CND REALLY cuts your mobility. I'm an engineer maining motherfucker, so I'm all about killing spies. I use my sentries as bait for my Frontier Justice crits to be spent on :P
  • edited July 2011
    When using the cloak and dagger, you've got to learn how to find a balance between being cloaked and being visible and disguised otherwise you do find yourself hiding quite a lot. It's good practice to learn how to play a good role of an enemy to minimize the chances that you'll get spychecked. I love uncloaking amongst a battle, although hidden somewhere. I sometimes pop out, call for medic which is even more convincing to other enemy team members, and then do my business of stabbing/sapping before the medic even has a chance to switch to his syringe gun.

I really need to start playing with the dead ringer and even the invisibility watch a little more though, they're both fun to use. I find that with a limited cloaking time, you tend to be a lot more in the middle of the action as you're always moving, cloaking, uncloaking, disguising, stabbing, etc etc etc. It's a lot more fast paced :thumbsup:
    edited July 2011
    You ARE going to get detected if you're visible, plus uncloaking is fucking loud. You ARE going to get hit by friendly fire and pyros. Best you can do is use Cloak and Dagger. People WILL yell "spy" when they get stabbed. If you're using the IW, you stab, sap and gtfo. CND is pretty much pointless IMO. But to each his own, I guess.
    edited July 2011
    You say that people will yell spy but in all honesty, There's a large number of noobs on nowadays because its F2P now. They don't know better :P
  • edited July 2011
    I don't have much trouble with spychecking when using the CND and I play on a server with a lot of good players. I suppose I've gotten used to it though, and you're right - it's each to his own. I use quite a few tricks to avoid confrontation with enemies if they do spot me. But yeah, I'll try playing a little more with the dead ringer :) I'll try making a video soon.
    edited July 2011
    Cloak and Dagger was MADE for people to camp.

Honestly the only time I use cloak and dagger is when there are set-up times. I cloak to spots so the other team can't spot me if they peeked out of the gate..and if I die afterwards... I change PDA's. If you are going to roam around you might as well use the invisibility watch and take all the scrap on the floor..

But seriously DR is the best spy PDA hands down. you can take ANYTHING for 1-4 damage..and possibly avoid pyros. It's made for very aggressive play and allows you to go back in the fight much faster..

Honestly..most of the new weapons in TF2 are not very good and they divert the core values of each class and make it more gimmicky/situational..

Perfect example: All the solly equipments reduce the damage potential he can deal out. (with the exception of the OP rocket jumper in the older days and the equalizer) reg all the way :P

Edit: I just played with crusty and rumple earlier and they saw me top frag with spy every round..I only use DR..
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011

Edit: I just played with crusty and rumple earlier and they saw me top frag with spy every round..I only use DR..

you cant top the top spy. lethargica was kicking ass earlier today
  • edited July 2011
    Haha, that's awesome. I need to add that guy to my steam friends list :)
    edited July 2011
    lol@you. I kick spies asses with Pyro. Dead Ringer means shit to me :D
  • edited July 2011
    What I really don't like about the dead ringer is how unbelievably LOUD that thing is when you uncloak! You can hear it from the other side of the map, and that's not an exaggeration. As soon as I hear a dead ringer uncloaking I turn round to the direction it came from and it's obvious who the spy is.

I love my 5.1 surround :D
    edited July 2011
    lol@you. I kick spies asses with Pyro. Dead Ringer means shit to me :D

The only SERIOUS problem I have is the super paranoid pyros in competitive play..all they do is spam fire around the engie buildings..so i can't get close...
    I have to take out the engie first with the ambassador..and then try to go in..

If I see a pyro..i'll stick around and fight..revolvers are one of the most underrated weapons in the game

So..you shouldn't see pyros as someone you should avoid all the time...the real problem are the scouts :(
  • NmYNmY Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2011
    hey, is this the right way it should look like?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/148/tstp.jpg/

This 00:01 on tuesday thing is on us daytime? (i'm on gmt+1)

Thx
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited August 2011
    It's a shame my internet keeps going out so when I try idling it disconnects me :facepalm: but it's good when it doesn't disconnect. Thanks bro :D
  • edited August 2011
    NmY wrote: »
    hey, is this the right way it should look like?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/148/tstp.jpg/

This 00:01 on tuesday thing is on us daytime? (i'm on gmt+1)

Thx

That's what it should look like dude :thumbsup: If everything goes successfully, the last thing it will say is "YOUR USERNAME connected!" or something similar to that. You then just leave the batch file running for as long as you want to be idling for :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011

I am going to kill you on any server if I find you playing. I have been pwned by one faggot using a dead ringer. It wasn't nice.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    There are also special Achivemet/Idle servers where no script is required. Just turn of all the filters in the server browser and arrange the list by map name. You will see them at the top of the list.