To the people who believe jobs are "secure"

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
To the 95% of people who work for the top 5%..Why do you believe that a job is secure?

You have no control over whether you stay or go..if the CEO can't afford you he will let you go..even if he's your best friend, when it comes to business...a CEO's own asset matters more than friendship..

*Others might believe that we need to get a job that has "stability" within the corporate world..

But I am sure that's what employees at Sony Erikson, Sears, Borders (etc.) thought of until they got a notice that their company/department was shutting down..

*Some people might believe that a stable company is determined by having a lot of employees..

But having a lot of employees gives you a lesser chance of being noticed..and a better chance of you staying at the bottom of the corporate pyramid.

*Some people believe that they will eventually climb the corporate ladder by getting a degree and working their way to the top..

But that is not realistic. The top of the pyramid is owning the asset which the CEO will never give to a complete stranger. You will always be capped at VP while making a fraction of what the CEO makes.

Don't get me wrong..as a VP you may be able to buy a nice home and a nice car...but you have to keep working to get the next car and home..

So why do people believe jobs are secure?

Comments

• LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    So why do people believe jobs are secure?

LOL. They do?
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok..so if you believe that jobs are not secure..wouldn't it be logical to have something that you are in control of?
    edited July 2011
    What is secure?
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2011
    If you said "LOL. They do?" then I am sure you have some understanding..unless you have no idea what you are talking about?
    edited July 2011
    If you said "LOL. They do?" then I am sure you have some understanding..unless you have no idea what you are talking about?

Do you really believe I'm asking for a definintion? Or are you avoiding my rhetorical question?
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited July 2011
    ha. No intelligent person in nebraska thinks their job is secure. We're a right to work state. If your boss thinks you wear the wrong color tie, you can get fired. Without notice. In fact, so long as no discrimination case can be made, you can be fired for no reason at all, legitimate or not.

I'm not saying all bosses here are pricks that would play spin the bottle with your employment, but unless you sign some well worded contracts covering your ass, there is no job security here.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow this is a depressing way to look at it. But so very true. My dad works at a factory where they lay off 400 plus people randomly all the time. He thinks his job is secure but it's only a matter of time.
  • edited July 2011
    I My jobs are never secure, restaurants fail, kitchens become toxic, shit happens
    and I am out on the street handing out resumes again. Thankfully I have been in my industry for a long time and developed a varied and versatile skill set, as well as a long list of good references. I have no fear of my job suddenly evaporating, in fact as long as I get my last check, I usually look at it as an unplanned vacation.

I am prepared to move to find work, and will continue to lower my expectations until I find something, even if it is a 'two check temp' to work while I find something better.

I have arranged my life to suit my chosen industry, and the ups and downs inherent to it. I have zero debt load, and can live on $20 a week for food if I have to, so as long as I can make rent and keep the lights on, I can get by until something pops up.

My point is; Lethargica is right, nothing is secure, so don't act like it is. Your only protection against catastrophe is to invest in your self by accumulating skills, experience, and references. Not only does a broad skill set usually make you more valuable to your employer, it will help you find work if your current industry takes a turn for the worse and you have to find a new job.

My girlfriend is a great example, she knows her current job at a lighting manufacturer could end suddenly if the company decides to move the plant or start outsourcing. She has taken every opportunity to get 'tickets' like Hazardous Materials Handler, Industrial First Aid, and Forklift Operator. She has also been very aggressive about getting her employer to move her around the plant so she is proficient with as much of the operations structure and machinery as possible, even though it has meant starting at the bottom of each new department. If they have to downsize, they will ditch the people who are less versatile first, because smaller operations need more versatile workers.

C/O
    "my GF rocks!"
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Nothing is secure when it comes to jobs man unless you make your own company and run it. It's the only way otherwise good luck job hunting.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited July 2011
    who the fuck would think this in an economy that's fucked?
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok..so if you believe that jobs are not secure..wouldn't it be logical to have something that you are in control of?

Yes, that is why I started growing my own food as much as possible.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2011
    Ya'll need to watch The Company Men. Pretty good flick that never got the attention it deserved, probably because it came out with depressing reality of the "New Economy" while we just went into Depression 2.0. That movie points out so many reality checks that even a blind person would have a hard time not understand how full of shit corporations are. As long as the man above you can keep his job, high pay, impress his superiors, and or investors. You don't matter. That's the bottom line. In the end they do exactly that, start their own business.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    I work a at a food factory, and allthough our company just closed another factory with the loss of 200 jobs, Im still secure with my job.
    The only way of my job being lost is if the whole company going bust, and as one of the worlds biggest food companys thats not going to happen.

Like C/Os missus Im constantly looking to improve my CV with courses, and working on diffrent lines and machines.
    How ever I will never switch departments, as my department keeps our factory going, it supplies 4 other departments with product to keep them going, along with 4 other smaller factorys.

We are having millons spent on us in the coming years, upgrading and having new lines put in.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    My dad is head of his department in a company that sells Windows to over 100 different companies and 1000s of businesses and homes around the United States. And I know for certain his job can end any day. It is not the company the provides secure jobs. But anything can turn around without a warning. This is a depressing world we live in. And the quicker people learn this the quicker everyone will learn to coupe with this life.