Terribly Vague Sci-Fi Movie Reviews

EchidnaEchidna Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I know a lot of people are always asking about good sci-fi movies, and it seems like there just aren't enough of them. Luckily, I have watched a shit load of movies and here's some that I would recommend and short reviews from memory without any spoilers. Yeah I used a list of movies. This will be sectioned by year so I'll seperate each post by a couple of years, starting from the present going back in time. Each movie is tagged with what kind of sci-fi it is.

The Book of Eli [APOCOLYPSE<RELIGION<PARANORMAL]
- Starring Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis, in a post-apocalyptic world, a man struggles to his destination with a book in hand.

The Crazies [GOVERMENT<PARANORMAL<SCIENCE]
- That guy from Deadwood (the sherrif) and Hitman is in a town where shit gets fucked up and people get nuts.

Daybreakers [FUTURE<VAMPIRES<SCIENCE]
- Ethan Hawke is a vampire as is most of the world, he is a scientist who struggles to find help for his dying race because they all need human blood to live.

Iron Man 2 [SCIENCE<SUPERHERO]
- Robert Downy Jr. as Tony stark faces bad guys and his past, while trying to fix what's wrong in his personal life and business life.

Legion [RELIGION]
- The forces of God storm upon earth to see who is worth it.

Repo Men [FUTURE<SCIENCE]
- Artificial parts for the human body are plentiful but come at a high price. When you cannot make payments, you get hunted down and they take the parts back. Starring Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker

Splice [SCIENCE<ALIEN]
- A couple who are scientists develop breakthrough technology in genetic mixing. When their funding is shut down and project scrapped, they see if they can go a bit further.

"2012" [APOCOLYPSE<STUPIDMOVIE]
- I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone as it has the worst acting I have ever seen in a wanna be blockbuster. Basic 2012 scares come into effect. Fuck you John Cusack.

"9" [APOCOLYPSE<PARANORMAL<SCIENCE]
- A little guy named 9 tries to find anyone in a desolate world and how he came to be, and how to change his world. The little beanbag guy.

Astroboy [ANIMATED<SCIENCE<FUTURE]
- A boy dies but his father scientist attempts to recreate him in a robot form. The boy tries to find out who he is and the world and shit. More lame voice acting by Nicolas Cage.

Avatar [SCIENCE<FUTURE<ALIEN<AWESOME]
- I've seen this a few times, really amazing. A marine travels to another planet to take the body of an alien. He discovers the truth about that world and his part in it. Starring Sam Washington, Sigourney Weaver.

Battle for Terra [ANIMATED<ALIEN<FAMILY]
- I don't remember much about this movie but it was good enough to sit through.

The Box [PARANORMAL<PAST]
- A terribly underrated film. I enjoyed the shit out of this. A couple is presented with a box. If you press it, good things happen, and bad things happen. This is a great film by the way it is shot like it's old, but the science aspect is awesome. Starring James Mardsen and Cameron Diaz.

District 9 [ALIENS>PARANORMAL]
- Aliens land on Earth and are lost but terribly mistreated. A man put in charge of moving them to a permanent camp gets entangled in their mess.

Gamer [FUTURE<COMPUTER<GAMING]
-In the future, the players in the games are actually real. A convict in prison is the top character and fights for his freedom. Starring Gerald Butler from 300

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra [FUTURE<WAR<SCIENCE]
- A team of elite soldiers work together to stop a threat to the entire world. They get cool gadgets and shit. Starring that asshole from Step Up and some washed up Waynes brother.

Knowing [APOCOLYPSE<PARANORMAL<SCIENCE]
- A drunken scientist and his son discover a secret from the past. Starring Nicolas Cage.

Land of the Lost [PARANORMAL<COMEDY]
- A scientist develops a device to shift through dimensions. Starring Will Ferrel and Danny McBride

Monsters vs. Aliens [ANIMATED<PARANOMAL<FAMILY<ALIEN]
- A woman becomes giant and teams with others to stop a threat to the Earth.

Moon [FUTURE<SPACE]
- A man on a moon mining station grows tired at his job and makes discoveries. Starring Sam Rockwell.

Pandorum [SPACE<FUTURE<AWESOME]
- Terribly awesome movie. A soldier awakens from a deep slumber on a dark spaceship with no knowledge of anything. The spaceship is fucked up and he figures some shit out.

Planet 51 [ALIEN<SPACE<FAMILY]
- This movie is only like an hour long but it's alright. An earthling crashes on another planet and an alien boy work together to fix stuff.

Push [COMIC<SUPERHERO]
- A guy with the power to move things at will teams with others and discovers secrets. starring Chris Evans, Camille Belle, and that bitch who screamed the whole damn movie in The War of the Worlds.

The Road [APOCOLYPTIC]
- A man and his son struggle to stay alive in a post-apocolytpic world.

Star Trek [SPACE<SCIENCE<ALIENS]
- A young James Kirk and Spock find thier way to eachother and do shit in space.

Surrogates [FUTURE<SCIENCE]
- A man in a false robot body is also a cop and he does shit to end the war between those in robot bodies and human bodies. Starring Bruce Willis.

Terminator Salvation [FUTURE<SCIENCE<ROBOTS]
- Two stories mesh into one, John Conner wants to end skynet and their robot army, while an new character joins him with a twist.

The Time Travelers Wife [PARANORMAL]
- A man born with a gene that forces him to travel through time randomly tries to have a normal life as well as his wife.

Transformers: Revenege of the Fallen [ROBOTS<WAR]
- Sam Witwicky is back and so are his robot friends. They face a new threat, including college and more robots.

Watchmen [COMIC<PAST<SUPERHERO]
- Lots of former superheroes reminisce on their lives and attempt to figure out their future.

Comments

• ArcadeArcade Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I appreciate this thread since I haven't seen some of these movies and will check them out based on the recommendation... but I'm a little skeptical because GI Joe rise of the cobra is in there, which in my opinion was just fuckin terrible...u really liked it???
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it was pretty bad but it's worth a watch. Me and all my friends watched it seperately and came back and said it was shit. But I'm glad I saw it.

"Starring that asshole from Step Up and some washed up Waynes brother."