How do you create an unprivileged user in BackTrack 5?

duuudeduuude Regular
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
Whenever I use adduser and log in to my unprivileged user everything is all fucked up and the OS back to Ubuntu with a grey background on the desktop.

Then I tried to use this guide: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-howtos/1741-howto-create-unprivileged-non-root-user-backtrack.html but it's for BackTrack 4 and when I tried it I couldn't get the first command to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2011
    I'm not familiar with the gnome version of BT5 but here we go anyways

The version of BT5 you are using is based on ubuntu. Therefore think of it as ubuntu & not BT.

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/serverguide/C/user-management.html

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/10/18/guest-session-and-guest-user-accounts-in-ubuntu/
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    Umm can't you just enable the guest account?
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    now you need to copy over any relevant .configs from your original user's profile. Don't forget to chown them.

Pretty sure this is all I need to do I just don't know what to move and where. Trying this GNOME version isn't helping either I think everything is too different from the guides I'm reading to figure out.

Edit: I think I figured it out.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Weird. My experience with Ubuntu-based distros and the mkuser and passwd commands kept the root system the same and allowed an underprivileged user read access to it instead of creating a new "profile" ala Windows and such.
    edited August 2011
    An unrelated question: why does everyone use Backtrack? The packages are available to any *nix distro. There's a blog that even has a script setup to automagically add the shortcuts to the menu in the same fashion AND update all of the tools to the newest version.
  • edited August 2011
    majeurevis wrote: »
    An unrelated question: why does everyone use Backtrack? The packages are available to any *nix distro. There's a blog that even has a script setup to automagically add the shortcuts to the menu in the same fashion AND update all of the tools to the newest version.

I use it because of how easy it is to just download a complete distro which already has all the tools I'll ever need, plus a whole load more of them which I can learn to use as well. It's just effective in all ways for me really, and it's a really fun OS to get to grips with.
    edited August 2011
    I'm still learning those tools, myself, but I just have a different OS preference... ok, I won't lie, I don't have a drive in my tablet and my thumb drive's too small. :'(
  • edited August 2011
    I love these backtrack threads, and it's cool that we've got a few people here now who also use Backtrack :) If anyone has any questions about the OS then you should post them up and get some Backtrack related discussion flowing :D