How does the CMS work?

RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
edited August 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I was just reading through a few of the articles on there and I am very impressed! I was wondering what I need to do in order to get my own stuff published on there? I don't see a submissions form or anything...

Bit of help please?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    You don't see any submission forms because we don't have them at the moment. I believe that one will be implemented very soon though (get on it Dfg) which will allow you to submit things directly through the CMS. For now though, you'll need to post your content to the forum and give it an appropriate prefix :) Then, an editor (like me) will come along, copy your content over to the CMS and link the two together :)

Hope that helps.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Awesome :) I was wondering myself actually!
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    For real? I just thought it was the general "this is a good guide, let's CMS it" :)
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    For real? I just thought it was the general "this is a good guide, let's CMS it" :)
    That's the way I've been approaching it.

I like the way we handle the CMS. Having the article on the forum allows for easier discussion, and having it in the CMS keeps our content organized with easy tags.
  • edited August 2011
    RemadE wrote: »

Well yeah, if a good guide comes along then we'll stick it onto the CMS. A submission's page would be useful for the guys who haven't signed up to the forums though.
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Well yeah, if a good guide comes along then we'll stick it onto the CMS. A submission's page would be useful for the guys who haven't signed up to the forums though.

Truedat.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Well, I am working on the submission page but it will increase chances of spam and exploits.
    edited August 2011
    Have it the same way the original totse had it, where it had to be approved by a mod before it got published.

Like I said in Teamspeak, guys. GM is bang on here.
  • edited August 2011
    I think that before an article is published, the section moderator has to come along and make a note in the thread saying that the article has been approved for use on the CMS. I just raised this issue in Teamspeak and we're discussing it right now :)
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for your information guys! I was going to write some backtrack stuff but I just realized that its already been done :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »

If they want to contribute they can do it in the forums. Leaving the CMS content up to any tom dick or harry that stumbles across the site is just foolish.
  • edited August 2011
    We would have both types of submission open, but the straight CMS submission style would be moderated to keep the spam and such down.

We were discussing this last night, and it became very apparent that the editors would have their work cut out. The feature would get spammed to shit by anyone and everyone, and Editors' email inboxes would be filled to the brim. I don't think it's such a good idea any more :(
  • edited August 2011
    There's a difference between having extra work to do and sifting through potentially millions of spam articles consisting of nothing but garbage. I really like the idea of having the submission form but I think that we need some heavy flood protection on it, including a strong captcha system, a restriction time so that the form can't be used more than once every 5 minutes by a single person, etc etc.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    We could give it a trial run and see if it works out. As for it being more work, I think I'm up to the challenge.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    I will try to implement this system today. It may or may not function.
  • edited August 2011
    Dfg, make sure that it has a captcha and strong flood control. I'm not sure if you need validation on there as well seeing as it's sending to an email address, but look into it anyway.