Looks like I just scored another free laptop

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
That will make three, plus I'll be buying a new one soon anyway as I need something a little more powerful, while keeping the portability. My friends just get new machines and don't know what to do with the old ones, which is when I just come up with the idea that they should give it to me :D I guess the trend has caught on, as I just received another text saying that "I've got you another old laptop to play with" :thumbsup: I'm not sure what I'll do with this one, but I'll put some specifications up as well as some screenshots showing what I'm doing with it. I figured that I might as well create a guide on cleaning up and optimizing a computer. "From crap to pristine in 10 minutes" or something :)

Anyway, more details to come.

Comments

• PacoPaco me administrator
    edited August 2011
    You should hook me up with a free laptop, brah. ;)
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    How about turning it into a webserver or something? Then again, it would be pointless considering that it wouldn't get any real use... I'd also suggest a hacktop (hacking laptop) but judging by your Backtrack guides, you don't need that either! Fuck man, there's a lot you could do with it though. Let's wait until you get the specs, and maybe that will give us a clearer indication as to what you can do with it :D
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    I've got a bunch of laptops too. All in different stages of disrepair. I have one with all of my programming stuff on it. One I was using for work. I've got 2 that don't work anymore (too lazy to fix) and one I use for surfing the web.
    How about turning it into a webserver or something? Then again, it would be pointless considering that it wouldn't get any real use...
    There are tons of free webhosts out there. It's not worth the electricity to keep a laptop on 24/7.
    I'd also suggest a hacktop (hacking laptop) but judging by your Backtrack guides, you don't need that either!
    I've had issues with random laptops and linux. Some won't load up at all, some won't detect the wifi cards, etc.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited August 2011
    use them as coasters. Or shoot them with guns. Old laptops are worthless. thats why they gave them to you.
  • edited August 2011
    I fucking LOL'd when I saw this laptop... It's a BRICK. It's running Windows Milennium Edition and it looks as though it was made in the stone age. Also the screen doesn't work properly, and the Q and W keys are missing. I think I might end up exploding it before I get some decent use out of it :facepalm:
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    easy-e wrote: »
    I've had issues with random laptops and linux. Some won't load up at all, some won't detect the wifi cards, etc.

I've had some of the same issues. My shitty laptop doesn't like a lot of linux distros.
    trx100 wrote: »
    I fucking LOL'd when I saw this laptop... It's a BRICK. It's running Windows Milennium Edition and it looks as though it was made in the stone age. Also the screen doesn't work properly, and the Q and W keys are missing. I think I might end up exploding it before I get some decent use out of it :facepalm:

lol I guess in that case you might should actually take Psychotogen's advice.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Haha, Windows Millenium. Who has that anymore??? You could probably sell it to some poor sucker, or to a computer shop. Lots of people buy second hand laptops like that just to use for the internet or creating documents.