My Speakers Just Picked Up a Very Unsettling Voice...

edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was just getting ready to get into bed after switching the computer off and feeding the fish, when I bent down to pick up my laptop. Suddenly I heard a really fucked up noise coming from above me. I thought it was the pump in the fish tank, but I checked it and everything was fine. Suddenly, the noise happened again, louder this time and more prolonged. I noticed it was coming from the speakers, so I put my ear right next to it.

What I heard was totally messed up and pretty scary, it was just like in the movies. It sounded like someone talking, but it wasn't in English. In fact, it wasn't in any particular language from what I could tell. It sounded extremely alien, just like in the movies... I'm shitting it right now, lol :D

Is it possible for speakers to pick up sounds or signals and then amplify them?

The weirdest thing was, the speakers weren't even turned on...

Comments

• white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    its very possiable braces have beenknown to pick up radio signals or maybe it was the little people who play the music inside the speakers
  • edited August 2011
    Braces? Wtf? I'm talking about speakers :facepalm:

Is it possible for my SPEAKERS to pick up external noises and signals?
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    if braces can pick up radio signals then im sure speakers can my speakers have made random noices before

the noises are usualy caused by power surges kinda like plugging a speaker directly in a wall. which looks pretty cool

magnets can pic up a lot of signals
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah where the fuck do you think they get their signals from? From inside the speakers?
  • edited August 2011
    I'm just wondering what the hell they're picking up, and why it was so strange-sounding. Plus, why did it happen when the speakers were turned off?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    My tv makes noise when it's turned off sometimes.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited August 2011
    was it dfg in teamspeak? His voice is disturbing and not entirely human
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I recall back in the 80's I lived with this chick who managed a Radio Shack store. I was in there one day waiting for her to finish her shift and fucking with some of the RC cars they had in stock. I picked up one of them that was not switched on and heard noises coming from it. I put up to my ear and could hear faint voices coming out of it. I removed the batteries and the voices were still there. I just always assumed it was an effect similar to a crystal radio set.
  • IllAdvisedIllAdvised Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    I used to live in a house right next to a major highway and I had a set of speakers that would pick up CB radio transmissions. Sometimes I could hear the voices very distinctly other times it would be garbled or distorted.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    My speakers pick up some AM broadcasts ocassionally. I think it's from the local radio station.

What you heard may have been electrical interference.

I remember being able to pick up number stations on my ancient radio.

It also could have been microscopic aliens from out of space who mistook your speakers for the worlds international communications system. They may have been trying to warn us about our impending doom. They could be flying home now, thinking that they have saved humanity.
  • EmilyEmily Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    My speakers pick up my cell phone signal all the time. Texts, calls, I did once hear my call amplified by the speakers before, but only once. So maybe someones cell?
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011

haha this
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    haha this

I was going to same thing. OP, it could be just some static charge, you have told everyone that you like having Laptop on your laps while working. Your boner + Laptop = Rubbing = Charge.

That makes sense.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I've had this happen to me once with my speakers. I cannot tell you how fucking freaked out I was as a 17 year old who had any illegal items he owned in his house and posted on &T. I thought it was the Po-Po.
    Could have just been a neighbour with an amateur radio and my speakers picking it all up.
  • edited August 2011
    I think I've found out the cause of the problem... I was walking down the street earlier and a guy living nearby has very recently mounted a huge fucking aerial to his house, which I assume he uses for CB radio or something similar. Maybe what I heard was him talking over the radio :facepalm: What he was doing awake at 1am is still a mystery though, he's pretty old.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I think I've found out the cause of the problem... I was walking down the street earlier and a guy living nearby has very recently mounted a huge fucking aerial to his house, which I assume he uses for CB radio or something similar. Maybe what I heard was him talking over the radio :facepalm: What he was doing awake at 1am is still a mystery though, he's pretty old.

I have a 2 watt hand held UHF CB radio which interferes with my amplifier whenever I use it. Normally I will hear a clicking noise which is caused by it. If it is an older 27 MHz CB then most likely you will hear him talking as AM is far easier to receive than FM modulated signals. Since my hand held is a 477 MHz FM CB it just causes noise to be received since an amplifier can't demodulate FM as well as it can AM.

tl/dr

Yeah it most likely is your neighbour and your amp is acting as a radio receiver. Fucking CBers ;).