LandRover Defender repplacement pics.

dr rockerdr rocker Regular
edited August 2011 in Man Cave
LandRover have anounced (again kind of) their replacement for the current Defender. The Defender is the LandRover utility vehicle and and its DNA goes all the way back to 1948.

land-rover-series-1.jpg

This is the original type - a series one.

New-Land-Rover-Defender-SVX-review-17489.jpg

This is one of the current Defenders - the one in the picture is on a 90" chassis. They are available as a 90" chassis, 110" chassis and 130" chassis, the first two being available as station wagons and panel vans and pick ups, the 110 and 130 also being available as double cab pick ups or just with the cab and a bare chassis so you can build what you want.

Ladder frame design, great aftermarket parts supply - you can basically buy a new chassis if you need one over the counter. The bodywork it for the main part, aluminium pannel that is riveted together, so if you want to change the body, you just need a drill, some new body parts and some rivets. Added to that the ease with major components from most years can easily be fitted to any one of them.

Here is a picture / mock up of the new one, due to be unvailed at the Frankfurt motorshow next month.

14kw2op.jpg

It looks like it wont be as easy to take apart and it also looks like something you might be bothered about scratching rather than what it is supposed to be - a utility vehicle. LandRover have said they will take input on its design before production begins, but I think it looks like a piece of shit. Sure, their has to be some rake to the front and windscreen for pedestrian safety, but it just seems to contain none of the original DNA - the thing that designed and dictated the vehicle.

If I want a new 4x4 pickup in the future, looks like I am going to have to go Jap. That or buy an old Defender and rebuild it.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Vomit. It looks like a pimped out Freelander...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    I don't see any issues with the old design. They could have changed some elements but a makeover isn't needed.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    The fucking wheels and tires bother me. Like most of their vehicles here in the US, they are no longer made for going anywhere, but instead cater more to soccer moms who will never even drive down a dirt road.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    Vomit. It looks like a pimped out Freelander...

The Freelander - especially the new one - is top class for what it is, but yeah, vomit. The defender is a utility / work vehicle at the end of the day. The only person going to work in the design above would be a mobile hairdresser. That is unless they are still targetting the works market - but the Freelander covers that segment that requires a styled 4x4.
    buddha wrote: »
    The fucking wheels and tires bother me. Like most of their vehicles here in the US, they are no longer made for going anywhere, but instead cater more to soccer moms who will never even drive down a dirt road.

Exactly - it is like they are not recognising the market that the customer base exists in.