Today is a sad day for NZ

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
There are ways around it though. So fuck the government. :angry:
Today the governments Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Act, colloquially know as the Skynet Act, comes into effect, as Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in New Zealand start to log internet users copyright 'infringements'.

The amendment becomes law on the 1st of September but ISPs can use activity detected 21 days before this date in any infringement notices issued from the 1st of September.

The initial detection of 'illegal' file-sharing is done by the 'rights holder' - think of of large media conglomerates such as Sony, Disney, Time-Warner - who then contact ISPs with 'activity' they think may be suspect.

The main target of these media companies are users of bittorent, a peer-to-peer filesharing system that distributed files over a network of computers. Multinationals have previously contracted out this detection to companies such as MediaDefender and the RIAA and will certainly be using companies like these here in New Zealand.

The main tactic used by these contractors to catch bittorrent users is by intentionally sharing copyrighted material and then logging the ip address of every computer that downloads from them. These ip addresses are given to internet users by their ISPs, who now, under the Skynet Act, have to divulge the name and contact details of the real user to rights holders.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    This is just another example of the international influence the the entertainment industry has stuffed down the throats of the people. Most of the copyrighted material does not originate in NZ nor does it directly stimulate the NZ economy. Yet somehow the legislators in NZ feel this is an important enough issue to invade their peoples privacy without probable cause or even reasonable suspicion. This really points out who the legislators of the various national governments represent.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    Every day is a sad day for nz hohohoho
    As long as our lap puppy to the super powers type government is still giving the illusion of leadership. Then your comment is well justified. :thumbsup:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    They effectively have the power to cripple NZ entertainment markets, though, potentially pushing certain types of business out of business.

That is how they operate, buy or bully whatever they want.
    edited September 2011
    They effectively have the power to cripple NZ entertainment markets, though, potentially pushing certain types of business out of business.
    The world wide economy almost lost us the Hobbit because of the price of our dollar. It was cheaper for hollyweird to go to another country with 3rd world child labor.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    Fuck, and here I was thinking of going through. Nope, I will stay the fuck away.
    edited September 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Fuck, and here I was thinking of going through. Nope, I will stay the fuck away.
    I was kidding...Everything is fine here....:(
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    There is a chance this might happen here. The courts have determined that ISPs are not required to monitor their user traffic. The MPAA is furious and thinking about appealing

Sounds good but in this country if the courts don't produce the 'correct' outcome, the lobbyists try to pass a law though parliament.

A recent wikileak has revealed some sheer bastardry:

1) They targeted a smallish ISP with less money to fight back.
    2) They tried to hide the fact that they were the MPAA - they used some Aussie companies as the face of the trial.
    3) They are pretty cozy with the government.

http://www.wikileaks.org/cable/2008/11/08CANBERRA1197.html
    edited September 2011
    There is a chance this might happen here. The courts have determined that ISPs are not required to monitor their user traffic. The MPAA is furious and thinking about appealing

Sounds good but in this country if the courts don't produce the 'correct' outcome, the lobbyists try to pass a law though parliament.

A recent wikileak has revealed some sheer bastardry:

1) They targeted a smallish ISP with less money to fight back.
    2) They tried to hide the fact that they were the MPAA - they used some Aussie companies as the face of the trial.
    3) They are pretty cozy with the government.

http://www.wikileaks.org/cable/2008/11/08CANBERRA1197.html
    They targeted a large ISP here. "Telecom" Telecom held the monopoly for all the lines and refused to share them with other ISPs. The government forced Telecom and as a sign of faith (payment) the other ISPs hand over monitoring info to our government.
    Our government has always had access to our ISPs. But that access is pointless without a law passed stating they can use it. They also kept it quiet from the public. Apparently, once they sign over full access to them, it's impossible to turn back.
  • edited September 2011
    Wow, that's really fucking terrible. They want to stop file sharing but at the end of the day, THEY are the ones who are seeing illegal files to people? :facepalm: Where's the fucking logic in that? They'd probably stop 90% more filesharing if they didn't put their latest releases on Bittorrent in the first place... Unless they pack the download with something fake, which isn't the movie?
    edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Wow, that's really fucking terrible. They want to stop file sharing but at the end of the day, THEY are the ones who are seeing illegal files to people? :facepalm: Where's the fucking logic in that? They'd probably stop 90% more filesharing if they didn't put their latest releases on Bittorrent in the first place... Unless they pack the download with something fake, which isn't the movie?
    File sharing is merely an excuse. Access to all information is the key here. Our ISPs have to pass over all information. They are the watchdogs for our government.
    My previous ISP made the mistake by letting some information slip out. What they don't tell the public is they have all links we view. I had a B&M about my speed & mentioned if they were monitoring yet. He said the law hadn't passed yet & they didn't have access to what we viewed, just how much bandwidth was being used. i quoted something from a blog I was reading about government monitoring, like a dumbass he said he was reading it @ the moment. WTF! i didn't mention what blog I was on or the url. Are you monitoring my internet? He's like, 'Aaahh I'll get my supervisor to contact you'.