Canadian Police Impound $2 Million Worth of Luxury Cars After Street*Race

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
LoL! fucking rich kids.
screen-shot-2011-09-03-at-4-40-33-pm.png

This news pains our Top Gear-loving souls.

Police in Vancouver say they hauled away 13 sports cars worth $2 million after a dangerous street race that witnesses say reached speeds of 125 mph (200 kph).

Facing off on a busy highway on Wednesday afternoon, the 13 drivers were easily picked up by police.* That's because they were driving cars many of us could never afford. “The majority of them had personalized plates as well and were souped-up, so they're fairly distinguished,” Inspector Bryon Massie of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police told the CBC.

All told, the haul-away consisted of a Ferrari, three Lamborghinis, three Nissans, two Maseratis, two Mercedes, an Audi and an Aston Martin, together totaling more than $2 million.

Surely the drivers can afford their impound fees and ticket costs given their luxury wheels, right? But it turns out many might be hitting up their parents for the cash. That's because none of the drivers was older than 21, and six of them were brand new drivers, still sporting British Columbia's mandatory “N” decal denoting a novice driver who's been learning for fewer than two years.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/03/canadian-police-impound-2-million-worth-of-luxury-cars-after-street-race/?iid=moreonnf

Comments

• TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    I thought the police can't do shit unless they actually catch you speeding? I mean anyone can dial 911 and say so-and-so was doing 150 in a school zone or something.

Also, if I had a Ferrari/Lamborghini/Other I would not let the police pull me over. They'd have to keep up with me through one hell of a police chase if they really wanted to catch me.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    I thought the police can't do shit unless they actually catch you speeding? I mean anyone can dial 911 and say so-and-so was doing 150 in a school zone or something.

Also, if I had a Ferrari/Lamborghini/Other I would not let the police pull me over. They'd have to keep up with me through one hell of a police chase if they really wanted to catch me.
    Police, though, say the fines won't be as exorbitant as they would have hoped, since no actual cops caught the speeders. "We have to really depend on third-party individuals who had called in," RCMP Superintendant Norm Gaumont told the Vancouver Sun. Because of the current lack of evidence, the 13 drivers face a ticket of only $196, charged with “driving without due consideration for others.”

It would have been a good revenue quota for the cops involved if they had caught them. :)
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited September 2011
    If you own a Ferrari I don't think you wold worry to much about it. How much would the impound fee/court cost? 2,000 at the most probably. If you can afford those cars im sure a good lawyer and some court fees wont wrinkle your dick.
  • edited September 2011
    Forget running from the cops, even if you DO have a fast car. Those police choppers will be on your case in minutes, and can stay with you until you either give up or crash your car. Seeing this kind of thing makes me annoyed though - these idiots are one reason why car insurance is so expensive.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    Depends on how good you can drive and how lucky you are. You might be able to lose the cops before the chopper comes, or it might be close to running out of fuel when it gets to you.

Also, I read a news story before about some kid that was speeding in his dads Bugatti Veyron (That's a million dollar car in case you don't know) and ending up getting caught. I'm think the dad wasn't going to get the car back either. I bet he was pretty livid.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Forget running from the cops, even if you DO have a fast car. Those police choppers will be on your case in minutes, and can stay with you until you either give up or crash your car. Seeing this kind of thing makes me annoyed though - these idiots are one reason why car insurance is so expensive.

Its not too hard to evade a police helicopter, its the stingers they throw across the roads and dogs that then send after you when you ditch the car that fuck you. Also, those guys above will have no imopact at all on car unsurance. Being as they caused no accidents, their will be no insurance claims and as such, no increase in premiums for anyone except the drivers who may see an increase in premium to to having driving convictions.