Fucking Magpies/Crows

BurnBurn Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
*Possible B&M thread*

I'm seriously getting sick of magpies and crows. They invade my yard and leave nothing but a trail of carnage and bird shit.

I'm currently growing Mulberry trees (both white and black) and I've only managed to get about 3 off it, when 50+ have matured. The fucking magpies eat them straight off the tree! I was sitting inside watching them do this. They also eat my strawberries and cherry tomatoes. I have tried every method to get rid of them (besides killing them) but it just isn't working. Today, I saw the last straw. They were sitting on my clothesline, trying to pull my socks off it! Seriously, what the fuck? I suppose they were trying it to get threads or something for their nests, but come on. If this keeps goin on, I'm getting my slingshot out.

I hate senseless killing of animals, and generally will only kill if I intend to eat them. But magpie tastes like shit (I know from experience) and I'm just over their bullshit.

tl;dr magpies and crows, FUCK OFF:angry::angry:

Comments

• jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    Dude, stop being a pussy and just kill them already. You don't have any other options unless you want to climb a tree to make your mulberries taste like shit. I'm don't know if they have banned guns in Australia or not but if they haven't then you need to purchase one. A slingshot... Really? What are you, 7 yo? There is a second reason to use a gun if you can: guns are fun. I know ammo can be expensive though or maybe its just that you don't want to hit the side of your neighbor's home possibly killing them or onebof their kids. In any case, thus wouldn't be a senseless killing of animals IMO because these particular animals are being a bad nuisance. I promise you if you started fucking with their homes they would attack you.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    Buy an air rifle and shoot them. They are vermin.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Do you live in urban, suburban, or rural area. I am assuming that you live in either a rural or possibly a suburban area based on the persistence of fowl. If you do live in a rural area may want to consider simply getting three or four tomcats. Keep them fed and watered so they stay close by and the crows won't be nearly as brazen.
  • JackedJacked Regular
    edited October 2011
    Have u tried a mesh net tied around tree? Looks shit but looks don't feed you. Make a peg gun, lol , peice of stick with a grove at the end of one end, a strong elastic band, using a clothes peg as a trigger and the metal coil from another peg as ammunition. Works pretty good an accurate too, since I doubt u want to go to the trouble of owning a firearm
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    I live in a heavily suburban area, guns are 100% out of the question. Firing at the crows with anything gives the possibly chance of a wayward shot and breaking a surrounding house's window. I also live in a complex, which has a strict 'no pets' rule:facepalm:

I've tried a number of deterrents, but none have worked. Time to get some DT25....
    edited October 2011
    Spray like rat poison on the plants ... If you can't eat it no one can ...
  • edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    Spray like rat poison on the plants ... If you can't eat it no one can ...
    AND SALT THE EARTH SO NOTHING SHALL EVER GROW AGAIN!!!

No more crows.
    edited October 2011
    build a massive cage around your whole complex
  • edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    build a massive cage around your whole complex

I think this is actually a serious idea if you replace cage with bird net and complex with tree.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    Too hot for mulberries now, so I don't have this problem anymore. I ended up getting about 50 white and 20 black, so I suppose it was ok.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    You may find this site useful, everything from scarecrows to lasers.

We used to use black cotton stretched over the strawberries with bits of tin foil tied to it. that was quite effective.

http://www.birdscarers.org/
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    Thanks chip.

I attached foil to both my trees with 6lb fishing line. Had little to no effect. Foil was still there, but the mulberries were still going.

Thanks again for that website.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    Actually, now I come to think of it, we never suffered from crows and magpies. The silver paper will probably attract magpies LOL
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    Hahahahaha, well that's probably where I went wrong. There's already a fuckload of magpies around though, as one of the houses nearby feed them bread, which they bring to my little pond to eat. I have to clean three or four bits of bread out of my pond each day, and it seriously gives me the shits.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    my uncle makes "magpie trip traps" they use no call bird, just some bait and your good to go
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Around here they use fishing line to keep the birds out. Around resturants on the beach seagulls are a problem. They run fishing line in a grid like fashion above the outside sitting area.

This video seems good.

or

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    • Air rifle
    • Firecrackers
    • Cats (mine are awesome hunters)
    • Running round naked

Crows here are considered a pest (UK) due to them reproducing at a huge rate, and if you are going to shoot them with a 12ft/lb air rifle, aim for the head. Not only is it more humane, but they are practically indestructable.