Burn first aid

ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
edited August 2011 in Man Cave
I post this guide on every forum I go that has a pyrotechnics forum. It's essential to know how to treat a burn if you're going to deal with pyrotechnics. Feel free to contribute anything else you know on the subject!

Identification
First, you need to be able to identify the degree of the burn. First degree burns are the least serious, only the outer layer of skin known as the epidermis is burned. In addition to pain it is characterized by:

-Redness

-Dry skin

Here's a picture.
m99368.jpg

Second degree burns are more severe than first degree burns, both the first layer and second layer of skin are burned and is much more painful than a first degree burn.

- The area swells and blisters.
- Red splotchy appearance
- White charred skin

Picture:
fl92tj.jpg

Third degree burns are painless and involve all skin layers. The area might be charred black or appear white. Fat and bone might be affected as well.

jpfs7a.jpg

If you have a fourth degree burn, you're fucked. Simple as that. The skin is charred black with no flexibility and the burn may damage tendons and bone as well. Pain is minimal.

First aid

For minor burns (first degree burns and second degree burns no larger than three inches that are not on the face, groin, hands, feet, or ass or a major joint) cool the burn by running it under cold water at least 5 minutes or immersing the burn in cool water. Wrap it in a sterile gauze bandage loosely, but don't use cotton which will irritate the skin. This reduces pain and protects the blistered skin. Take a OTC pain reliever and you'll be fine. DO NOT use butter, grease, oil, or anything like that on a burn. That causes more damage and irritation. It is best to use cool water. Only treat first degree burns with those ointments and sprays that you can buy. On more severe burns they can do more harm than good.

Don't be an idiot and use ice unless you want frostbite. Don't break blisters either.

For severe burns call for emergency medical assistance immediately. Until they arrive, DON'T remove burnt clothing although make sure the victim is no longer in contact with smoldering materials. DONT put cold water on a burn more severe than 1st degree. Cover the burn in a cool moist sterile bandage or a clean moist cloth.

Burns that completely circle arms, wrists, ankles, or legs can cause such severe swelling that blood flow can be restricted causing even more damage. If you get a burn around something and experience a tingling sensation and numbness, discoloration (blue, purple, black), or 'fall asleep' call 911.

Burns to the neck and face can also cause breathing problems. If difficulty breathing is experienced call 911.

If the damaged area is bigger than your arm or abdomen call 911.

Chemical Burns

First remove the cause of the burn. Brush off any excess if the chemical is dry and remove all contaminated clothing, being sure not to get any in your eye. Flush the chemical off the skin surface by running cool running water for 15 minutes, in the shower is probably best. Apply cool wet compresses to help relieve pain and wrap the affected area is dry sterile dressing or a clean cloth.

If the chemical gets in your eyes, flush them with running water for 15 minutes and get medical help ASAP. After washing the eyes cover them with loose moist dressings.

If the chemical burn is minor you shouldn't have to get medical help, but if the chemical burn is 2nd degree + or has an overall body reaction you should seek medical help.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Aloe Vera is good for superficial burns. When I was in middle school my attempt to build a bomb went wrong and I got an incendiary blast to the face and that shit worked well. That and these first aid burn packets i found.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    Was considering writing something similar, I remember this post from a few other places.

I find that, for superficial burns, touching the burnt area to a small camping propane tank really, really helps with the pain. Cool metal is the best, I carried one around with me when I burned my whole palm and it blistered a while back.
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    I propose this be turned into a general first aid thread and stickied.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2010
    cooling and wrapping a burn in plastic wrap to exclude oxygen works well at minimising the pain.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2010
    I propose this be turned into a general first aid thread and stickied.

Agreed.

Stickied. :D
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    cooling and wrapping a burn in plastic wrap to exclude oxygen works well at minimising the pain. we learned it on a first aid course and it really does work

Really? I'll have to try that next time I have an accident.
    Paco wrote: »
    Agreed.

Stickied. :D

Much thanks.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    Good thread. This shit is important.
  • Loveyourbody008Loveyourbody008 Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2011
    A first degree burn is superficial and causes local inflammation of the skin. Sunburns often are categorized as first degree burns. The inflammation is characterized by pain, redness, and a mild amount of swelling. The skin may be very tender to touch.

Second degree burns are deeper and in addition to the pain, redness and inflammation, there is also blistering of the skin.

Third degree burns are deeper still, involving all layers of the skin, in effect killing that area of skin. Because the nerves and blood vessels are damaged, third degree burns appear white and leathery and tend to be relatively painless.

Burns are not static and may mature. Over a few hours a first degree burn may involve deeper structures and become second degree. Think of a sunburn that blisters the next day. Similarly, second degree burns may evolve into third degree burns.

Regardless of the type of burn, inflammation and fluid accumulation in and around the wound occur. Moreover, it should be noted that the skin is the body's first defense against infection by microorganisms. A burn is also a break in the skin, and the risk of infection exists both at the site of the injury and potentially throughout the body.

Only the epidermis has the ability to regenerate itself. Burns that extend deeper may cause permanent injury and scarring and not allow the skin in that area to return to normal function.

third-degree-burn

second-degree-burns

first-degree-burn