Practicing Faces

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I know that I am one to do it and I've seen people in the television box do it also but I wonder really how many other people practice facial expressions. I do it a lot of the times when I'm bored or anytime that I am looking into a mirror and know that I am alone. I practice my happy face and my sad face of course but I like to try to work on the faces for those emotions that are a little more complex such as disappointment or regret or disapproval or hearing some sort of serious news. I like to know what my face looks like to other people when I react to what is going on.

I use this as a tool very often to react how I think people around me is appropriate with little effort and without having today anything. I suppose that In a way this could be considered lying but I decided long ago that sometimes you need to lie in order to get yourself away from a place or situation that you don't need to be in or are just uncomfortable with.

What are your opinions on this and what are some emotions that you would suggest are good to work on displaying? Do you have any stories where doing this has helped you out in particular?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I have been practicing my grouchy look non stop for about the last 10 years.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I find a trusting face to be very useful. it sounds vague, so here goes.
    Basically, when you are out, and possibly on the pull or just generally talking to someone, get them to believe you by having a sort of "poker face". An expressionless, emotionless (to an extent) expression. It backs up any bullshit or elaborate tale you may heve just told.
    For example, if I were to use my old smuggling adventures to chat up a girl, and add an air of mystery to my already "onion-like personality"*, I'd follow it with a short eye contact stare and a trusting nod or bland expression. Nothing too "I love myself" or whatever as you don't want to come across as a bullshitter, just someone who takes everything in his stride.

* - I was told this by a girl at a party, and took it as a compliment.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    That seems like it might be a little more difficult. Usually people trust me anyway bit it wouldn't hurt to be able to squash any doubts. I'll work on it.