L.A. Noire [2011]

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited July 2012 in Spurious Generalities
LA-Noire-Box-Art.jpg
A dark and violent crime thriller, set against the backdrop of 1940ΓΓé¼Γäós Los Angeles and utilizing revolutionary new facial animation technology, L.A. Noire blends the breathtaking action of chases and shootouts with true detective work including interrogations and clue-finding, as newly-minted officer Cole Phelps embarks on a desperate search for truth in a city where everyone has something to hide.

No torrents nowadays, sorry to say. There is a public system to communicate with, much like a telegram, which may be utilised I believe though :rolleyes:
- RemadE

Official Site

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Got this on IPT, still on Download queue.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Necro bump! Searched instead of making my own and edited out the torrent link as per site protocol in this new, crappy era. BUT I am playing this game now (currently on the 4th Homicide Mission, and it is awesome! Unlike GTA you get docked points for crashing into cars, and I love the setting, as can be seen in this video.

Also what can be seen in the video is the backbone of the game - questioning. When talking to a suspect/witness you ask questions pertaining to evidence/clues you found or were tipped off to (alibi) earlier in the case (mission). The reason Rockstar and Bondi games went to so much detail (as linked later on in the pros/Cons bit) is the entire half of the person being questioned by you, because you have the ability to decide whether a suspect/witness is telling the truth, there is some doubt and they aren't telling the whole story or they are lying - in which case you can either back out of the accusation or present evidence that proves they are lying.
    The effort went into the facial movements, no matter how subtle, as they can give their doubtful or flat-out lying answers away and so that is why so much effort was put into the game, especially this aspect for this groundbreaking detail - which I really like as it makes a change from Rockstar's cheesy GTA graphics and shows they are at least taking things a bit more seriously now. So much so that I may actually pay for it if I want it on console (not a fan of buying games for a long time until after they come out due to money and walkthroughs become available lol), so without further-a-do:

Also another good point I like - the view of Women. Gotta love calling them "Broads" etc. It's actually quite a funny game when you listen to what people shout out when you're chasing after a criminal/suspect.

In a nutshell:

Pros:
    • Gameplay I have never experienced before in the sense of questioning suspects, plus the use of evidence (Rockstar and co-producer, Bondi Games went to a LOT of effort to get the level of detail and effects they achieved).
    • Great cars.
    • Very good AI.
    • Really good noire feel to it, with the music and feel of corruption.
    • Hybrid of third-person shooter/action, critical thinking skills and the need for attention to detail.
    • Great back-story of Phelps' (the main characters) background in WW2.
    • The option to take on street crimes such as shoot-outs, car chases, running on foot or negotiation when called in over the radio.
    • You are assigned a Partner who can aid in chases, shoot-outs, fights and finding evidence/clues for each "Desk" (aka promotion), ie. Patrol, Homicide, Vice, Arson etc. They can be found on the link in this bulletpoint, but does contain spoilers.

Cons:
    • Can be a bit intense on a laptop or desktop, but can be adjusted under "Settings".
    • More shootouts could be good, but then again I am only a third through the game.
    • Driving can prove tricky and if you cause more damage than a certain amount, your final case report can be effected quite severely. The same goes with injuring people, be it in a shoot-out or injuring them with a car during a chase.
    • Investigating cases becomes repetitive after a while -
      collect evidence at the crime scene, go to places/persons of interest, question and find the most likely, maybe attend a street crime, get a conviction.
    • Your Character has a Family, and although his Wife is the cause for his desk change (to Homicide or Vice, for example) she doesn't have any real appearance, and is usually the butt of a conversation (refer to the "Broad" part of describing Women I wrote earlier).
    • Exploring the awesomely detailed City can take some time, and you are always involved in a case, so I recommend driving round when on the way to a destination if you decide to play it.
    • Serious lack of weapon variety, but hey, this isn't GTA. It's designed and is carried off as a much more serious game.

Overall, this is a great game which I have found myself playing for at least an hour since I "got" it around a week ago.
    My rating? A firm 8/10.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    I downloaded the game months ago but wasn't into it. Reading your review, I am tempted.
    edited July 2012
    Honestly, give it a shot. Some parts are quite funny. I took a few "phoneshots" (as print screen doesn't work)...may these wet your whistle, Sire?
    Panties%20teehee.jpg

L.A%20Noire%20rape.jpg
    ‎"The tissues of the anus were bruised about one-eighth of an inch, but no trace of semen in the..."

next part of subtitles - "...stomach"

Distinguished.jpg

Brokeback%20Mountain.jpg
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited July 2012
    I knew you'd fish out those bits Remade ;)

I didn't really find those parts funny- I was far too into the game and really in the role to laugh. I found it more like a shocking clue if anything.
    edited July 2012
    Well in all honesty, I do take the game rather seriously. I only took those bits to show mates that it has a fun side to it (like here). But I do really get into the whole "no stone unturned" part as well as mumbling at the screen when in a chase at just how crap my car always is and that I can never seem to swerve the bad guy out and catch them until the roadblocks are set up.
    Also I really enjoy the street crimes. Nothing like a good ol' shootout with a bit of tactical thinking in there.

Plus Dfg can pretend he is in the West! Freedom! :paki: :p