Just bought an Arduino

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited November 2011 in Life
It'll arrive with the usual eBay delay. It was $25.00. It's an Arduino Mega, the one with the ATmega1280 microcontroller.
It was a little cheaper than the mega2560. I hope it was the right choice, should have consulted you guys first. It was an impluse purchase.

Anything I should know? Does anyone have any book recommendations?

also, prepare to be inindated with "look what i can do with my Arduino" threads when i get it.

Comments

• white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    what you going to use it for
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    Anything that sparks my interest really.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    well iv seen these beforean i know there programable but what do they do lol and what are they used for
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    I have one. There is plenty you can do with them, I haven't really done anything big with it apart from a motor speed controller.
    edited November 2011
    well iv seen these beforean i know there programable but what do they do lol and what are they used for

The things are reprogrammable. Think of it as the heart of a design. It's basically responsible for the logic and power.
    you can hook us sensors, LCDs, lights and buttons.

One example to illustrate the usage is Christmas lights: you can connect a bunch of LEDs to the things and program the micro-controller to turn on and off the voltage for each LED at will, making a pattern.
    edited November 2011
    An update: eBay notified me that the product was a counterfeit. For $25.00 i kinda assumed that. The seller and I have agreed to continue with the transaction. It's not really counterfeit anyway, as it's open hardware. It probably violated trademarks.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    An update: eBay notified me that the product was a counterfeit. For $25.00 i kinda assumed that. The seller and I have agreed to continue with the transaction. It's not really counterfeit anyway, as it's open hardware. It probably violated trademarks.

Yeah there is the official arduino board then there are the non official boards floating around. They are still based on the same AT Mega controller and run the arduino bootloader. The differences are merely cosmetic.