Uganda's space program

edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2069222/Not-exactly-NASA-Ugandan-space-chief-builds-test-craft-mothers-yard-says-shuttle-orbit-2015.html

I admire his ambition and determination and the thing actually looks pretty cool and he's obviously not a stupid guy so I can't understand how he thinks this will actually work. Propellors don't work in space.

I certainly wouldn't volunteer to go up in it. Even if he does get it into space it's not coming back.
And when asked how he plans to simulate zero gravity for training, he said it would be 'easy'.

He added: 'I've got a jet engine on order so I'm planning to build a tunnel, put the engine at one end and when I throw a guy in he'll float in a similar way to how he would in space.'

More likely the guy will get sucked in and end up as chared mince.

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    There are no propellers?
    At 80,000 feet there is still some air, not much, but there still is some. Mig's can fly at 80000 feet so a jet engine can operate.
    Looks like the jet engine may be multi purpose. Stick it in the plane when it's done frying the crew.

There are no control surfaces on the wings either LOL
    How is he going to steer it hahaha

ETA Just found this, James May in space. The pilot is so polite LOL
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, this just makes me think of Borat doing a Space program

"Yes, we just-a chuck man in tube with jet engine at one end"
    Would be good if they get it off the ground though. Maybe they'd do something the West would never think of.
  • boggleboggle Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    Looking forward to pictures of the crash.
    edited December 2011
    Loads of people are at it.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited December 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Would be good if they get it off the ground though. Maybe they'd do something the West would never think of.

Yes. They would fly into the sun, thinking it was a shiny and thieve-able object.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I know about that chippy, but sending up a DIY weather balloon with a camera on it is totally different from creating an actual manable craft and sending someone up in it.
    edited December 2011
    Oh for sure. I can see someone dying attempting this.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    He added: 'I've got a jet engine on order so I'm planning to build a tunnel, put the engine at one end and when I throw a guy in he'll float in a similar way to how he would in space.'

Are they getting Polish volunteers to train for this?