New Planet: An Earth-Like World, 600 Light-Years Away?

white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
NASA's Kepler space telescope has found a new planet -- the most Earth-like yet -- circling a yellow star similar to Earth's sun and 600 light-years away, according to the space agency.

The most promising thing about this world, called Kepler-22b for now, is that it's in the so-called Goldilocks zone around its host star. Its surface temperature is estimated at an average of 72 degrees, which means liquid water -- considered essential for life as we know it -- would be possible there.

"We are certain that it is in the habitable zone and if it has a surface, it ought to have a nice temperature," said Bill Borucki, the Kepler principal investigator at NASA's Ames Research Center.

But just how realistic are the prospects for life on that distant world? Even in their excitement, the researchers caution that they have found no proof that we are not alone.
Are We Alone in the Universe? Watch Video
Scientists Discover Earth-Like Planet Watch Video
Mission to Mars Watch Video

The Kepler team has done a prodigious job of detection and mathematical calculation, but Kepler has not actually seen the planet or taken any chemical measurements. They know its host star is slightly smaller and cooler than the sun, and they found that its light dims ever so slightly once every 290 Earth days. That means the dot of the planet is passing in front of it. It's a little closer to its sun than we are to our sun.

From there, they can extrapolate. For the planet to be in a nice, nearly circular orbit, not too hot and not too cold, they figured out that it's probably 2.4 times the diameter of Earth.

That makes it among the smallest planets yet found orbiting other stars, but it's a smidgen larger than an ideal candidate for extraterrestrial life would be.

"That smidgen makes all the difference," said Geoff Marcy of the University of California, Berkeley, who is one of the pioneers of planet-hunting outside Earth's solar system, and a member of the Kepler team.

Scientists know, from looking at Earth's solar system, that rocky worlds like the Earth's are a precious commodity. If a world is too small (think of Mercury or Earth's moon), any atmosphere will escape into space before life could possibly form. If a world is too large (think of Jupiter or Neptune) it's likely to be all atmosphere, a giant ball of gas or slush that thickens quickly as you plunge beneath its cloud tops, but probably has no solid surface where living things could thrive.

Kepler-22b might be the right temperature, but it is probably closer in mass to icy Neptune than to Earth. "I would bet my telescope that there is no hard, rocky surface to walk on," Marcy told the Associated Press.

Still, the discovery sets scientists' minds racing. "This discovery shows that we Homo sapiens are straining our reach into the universe to find planets that remind us of home," Marcy said. "We are almost there."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/planet-found-600-light-years-nasa-kepler-telescope/story?id=15094976#.Tt6GsnoYGu4

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I saw this earlier on the news and I was really excited :) if only there wasn't a ban on Nuclear Explosions in space (lol, the Sun), we could get there pretty fast in space terms.
    Genuinely pissed off we can't get there. I'd do all I could (if I knew how to) in order to go and explore it.

Obligatory Carl Sagan. Related.

I wish he was still alive :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    ^This guy seems a bit odd. Nothing I can quite put my finger on but odd nonetheless. Aside from that he is wrong. The methods he describes are not how we will conquer space. We will only do that when we learn to warp space by accessing and amplifying gravity.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited December 2011
    i wish eric von dankien was still alive