40 hours no sleep

(nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Apparently its possible...

Well, I'm 15 minutes past my 39th hour. So far so good.

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited December 2011
    are you using anything to help you out like caffeine etc?
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited December 2011
    So far, I'm just on my second Monster Energy Drink.

I might have cheated though as I have taken a 5 minute power nap when I was shitting.

25 more minutes then I'm on my 40th hour.

Honestly I feel like I'm stoned. I actually have the munchies. I've been nibbling on chicharon.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited December 2011
    its weird tiredness. I remember doing night shift at work and having weirdest hypo buzz lol I dont know if a power nap is cheating really, I dont think you get anu proper sleep till your in REM sleep.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    I once drove from Detroit to Las Vegas in 52 hours with no sleep on nothing but sandwiches and coffee.
    edited December 2011
    Yup. Pulled it off. Im gonna shower then sleep.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited December 2011
    Black Coffee is King when it comes to staying up for long periods of time. I once went somewhere between 6-7 days without sleep. I read some thing about it making you hallucinate and I was a dumb kid. After 3 days, I no longer felt tired, I just felt... "there" if that makes any sense. Mafiabro may remember it. I was around day 6 when we were all hanging out. I was more or less totally zombified, I was hearing shit that wasn't there and I called it quits. After we all went home that night I finally went to sleep and slept like a god damn baby.
    edited December 2011
    Also, it's true that reciting the alphabet gets exponentially harder after not sleeping for 24 hours.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited December 2011
    Have you slept yet?

As it's 8am and I haven't been to bed yet I think I might go for another day and night awake. I've always wanted to try the Ganzfield experiment whilst sleep deprived to see if the two hallucinogenic states compound each other - I think I'll give it a go tomorrow.
  • DisguisedRebelDisguisedRebel Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2011
    Ive heard its possible to die from lack of sleep....wonder if its true.

googling

Meh
    It's possible that given enough time, sleep deprivation can kill you. While no human being is known to have died from staying awake, animal research strongly suggests it could happen

I think youd probably just pass out before you died
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited December 2011
    I've never really kept count of the exact amount of time but I have gone roughly 3 days with only a couple of 5 or 10 minute dozes. I really dig that surreal feeling you get after a while it really does feel quite similar to being stoned. Last time I stayed up to that point I got it in my head that I was going to be all deep and shit and meditate, I ended up crashed in my living room floor with a pool of drool on my shirt, my wife came in from work and found me that way, she face palmed.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited December 2011
    Ive heard its possible to die from lack of sleep....wonder if its true.

googling

Meh

I think youd probably just pass out before you died

I believe the magic number is 11 days without sleep to kill you. The human brain wont let that happen though, after a certain amount of time the brain shuts off for ~5 minute intervals to give the body "micro-naps".
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited December 2011
    I wonder exactly how 11 days without sleep kills? Would the brain hypothetically just permanently shut down or does it cause some sort of stress to other vital organs?
    edited December 2011
    I find that when I pulled off my 40 hours, I was having this sensation on my chest.

Maybe it was hypertension.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    I avoid pulling these stunts mainly I can't afford doing that and if something happens, I will get hurt badly.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    I just beat you. I had surgery for a hernia and did not sleep for 49 hours afterwards.