How to decipher Fault codes

SpinsterSpinster Regular
edited December 2011 in Man Cave
Here is a website my tutor showed me when I was studying automotive. Its really good, most cases all you will need to find out what is wrong with your car is a paper clip and this website. So go save yourself a few hundred dollars!

http://codes.rennacs.com/

:cool:

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure about other brands but the American cars on that site are all outdated. The most recently used connector for them on that site was 2001.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure about other brands but the American cars on that site are all outdated. The most recently used connector for them on that site was 2001.

Yeah but alot of people still use older cars. especially in New Zealand! besides people who own old cars sometimes cant afford to take them to the mechanic, like me..
    edited December 2011
    Do you know of a source for this type of info for newer cars?
    edited December 2011
    http://www.freeautomechanic.com/diagnostictroblecodes.html I found this site, It has more American cars there. Its seems most American car manufacturer use a standardised SAE system, its called OBD I. Now this is funny there is a OBD II (late model)but I did some reading and found out why there no fault codes for late model american cars on the net(OBD II) the site reads,
    The Lawyers for SAE International have politely requested that the OBDII Diagnostic Codes and Definitions be removed form this page. So we regret to inform you that we have had to comply and remove them. Any availability of SAE copywriten works will continue to fall under the Electronic Reserve Guidelines of the Fair Use act for future availability to the public via controlled means.
    The codes will be out there somewhere, But I figure if your car is that new it should still be under warranty so you should take it to the garage otherwise work you do yourself would void the warranty.
    edited December 2011
    Figures. The fags are just as bad as Microsoft. You buy the car and own it but are not allowed to have the "source code".
    edited December 2011
    There is plenty to be said for finding faults the old fashioned way!
    edited December 2011
    And what would the "old fashion way" be?
    edited December 2011
    figuring out what is wrong with the car without using a computer or the flashing check engine light metheod. Its does get a bit tricky with these EFI car though.
    You would be pretty screwed if you car threw up the check engine light because it only really tells you if one of the many sensors is stuffed, but car manufacturers have developed a system to detect mis-fire.

when does your car have an issue TDR?
    edited December 2011
    My car has no issues but it is only a matter of time before it does. They all shit the bed sooner or later and I figured if I had more information before hand I would be in a better position when the eventually occurs.
    edited December 2011
    you could by a Haynes manual or something like that. You could join an online owners club too, Its always good to get advice from people who have the same car as you that have had the same problems too.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    You can always get a diagnostic scanner that reads the Diagnostic Trouble Codes off the cars computer and tells you what is wrong with the car (cars past 2001 I think): http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_GCR25.html That one in the link is for European cars, but you can get American ones.
    edited December 2011
    My way is cheaper