Defense bill repeals military law on animal sex

white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
kinda old news from December 8th just read it today

WASHINGTON (AP) – Recently passed Senate legislation would make sodomy and sex with animals legal under military law, ending long-standing prohibitions and triggering cries of perversion from conservative groups.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin says the repeal was simply a legal change.

By Chip Somodevilla, Getty Images

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin says the repeal was simply a legal change.

Enlarge

By Chip Somodevilla, Getty Images

The bill, which the Senate passed 93-7 last week, would repeal Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice that states any person who engages in "unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy." Those found guilty of sodomy would be subject to court martial.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., said Thursday that the repeal was simply a legal change because it's no longer constitutional. A 2003 Supreme Court decision struck down a Texas ban on sodomy as an unconstitutional intrusion on privacy.

The committee said the changes in law were recommended by the Joint Services Committee on Military Justice and the secretary of defense.

Senate negotiators are working to reconcile their version of the bill with the House-passed measure and produce final legislation that sets policy for the Pentagon. House Republicans oppose the repeal and want to leave the provision intact.

A congressional aide close to the negotiations said late Thursday that it was unlikely the repeal would stand. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private talks.

Conservative groups angered by the end this year to the ban on gays serving openly in the military were outraged by the proposed repeal of the sodomy provision.

"Now, in its rush to accommodate the left, Congress may have inadvertently opened the door to even more perversion," Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council said in a statement. "As part of the defense authorization bill, liberals are pushing to make sodomy a legal activity under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. In its haste to make gay sex an official part of military life, the left could be unintentionally repealing the ban on bestiality too."

In an interview, Perkins said he has been talking to House lawmakers involved in the defense negotiations as they push to leave the provision intact, including House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Calif.

"This blowup over bestiality shows the sloppy nature of this repeal," Perkins said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2011-12-08/us-defense-bill-sodomy/51753518/1

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I find it strange that the Conservative groups who appear to be against perverse sexual acts are usually the ones who have their job cut short because of their involvement in perverse acts.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    So let me get this straight, in the US military you will now be able to fuck dogs but you will go to jail for fighting them.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited January 2012
    lol your user title makes you look like a bad menstrul cycle
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2012
    The bill, which the Senate passed 93-7 last week, would repeal Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice that states any person who engages in "unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy." Those found guilty of sodomy would be subject to court martial.

If this is removed it would also legalise gay sex and anal sex. I don't understand the fuss, the less rules the better. It's not as if the law is stopping people from wanting to fuck animals.

I doubt they'd "legalise" bestiality anyway, the ban will probably come back in some form or another. The military will want some control over sexual contact just in case things get out of hand.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    ^^^ This. I was thinking the same thing. It just so happens the bestiality was lumped in with the buggery in the original law.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2012
    This is the way changes to the law work. Its is easier to in effect repeat the entire atical and write new code for it.

As for the effect that it could have for the US? Well, I cannot imagine an Afghan being too pleased about very camp homosexual soldier having some kind of power over him, let alone if he were to question him. To them, it is like another kind of polution we can send. It may be a chance, depending on how long we stay in Afghanistan, to roll some culture over.

I look forward to a new release of 'In The Navy'.