Hard Locked Hard Drive Hard

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited March 2012 in Tech & Games
I have a couple of old lappy HDs that are hard locked. (Require passwords to access them)
My aim here isn't to fix the laptops, (They're old pieces of shit that were given to me for parts and thrown out due to age & the HDs are fuckall GB & not worth shit.) I merely wanna see what's on them. Ya know?
They're bios loaded and encrypted therefore I can't access them with a live linux cd/usb (They don't show up in my file manager)
Is there a way I can access these without downloading some bullshit software off teh interwebz? (& there are lots.)
Remember! I need my computer to recognize them before I can attempt to access them. Is there a way I can access them with backtrack. Once I bypass the encryption, I'm sweet. But I can't seem to find a BT tutorial on hardlocked drives. :(
Any Ideas?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Well, there was a program that could bypass this feature.

there was something here about it: http://hackaday.com
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    Were the encrypted with something like McAfee Endpoint Encryption formely known as SafeBoot? If so then you are screwed as that takes a client server relation to authenticate access to the encrypted volume upon boot.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited March 2012
    Evven if you can't mount them on a live cd, you should probably use dd (mind your ifs and ofs) to make an image of them. The image will still be encrypted, but at least then you can write the image file to a different drive if they die.

What brand of laptop? Model? Is it third-party or a feature of the laptop? Take a picture of the screen where it asks for a password.. that might help. Try using the drive in another computer if you haven't already (could be a BIOS thing specific to the laptop).
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    MarineBoat wrote: »
    (could be a BIOS thing specific to the laptop).
    It's bios specific to the lap top & I've dumped the lappy. I couldn't disable it from bios. (Had a specific PW for unlocking the HD in the laptops bios)
    I thought perhaps I could use scalpel to access it. But I can't see it, I can't scalpel it.
    I would however like to format one for spare parts. Any ideas?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    To format anything use Aefdisk.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the input bro. I'll check it out. ;)