Vernons Spelling Test

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited June 2012 in Spurious Generalities
I've been doing spelling tests with a student of mine for a few weeks now, and I've been slowly going through Vernons Spelling Test. The only problem is I have now lost it, and I've been googling all morning. Is there any chance anyone knows where I could grab a copy?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Spelling test

is

sick

young

royal

am

story

honey

million

see

grass

pencil

honest

up

cold

thumb

straight

do

letter

office

arrive

red

head

always

except

bit

fire

reason

length

gun

paint

complete

whose

down

chair

shovel

region

milk

earth

crowded

suitable

Red words

Orange words

Yellow words

Green words

• Test children on red, orange, yellow and green words – you could do this in two or more shorter spelling tests rather than all at once! You could also test the children in groups, for example only testing lower ability children on red and orange words.
    • If a child gets any words wrong in a set, start them on test 1 of that colour. If a child gets no words wrong, start them on blue words. For example, a child who spelt complete wrong would start with yellow words, even if they got some green words correct.
    • There are three sets of words for each colour. All children should start with test 1. Give out the list of words for that colour – you may want to photocopy the lists at 90% size so that they can be trimmed and stuck into homework books.
    • Children will have to score 100% twice on each test to move up to the next list, for example:
    Week 1 Test 1 = 100%
    Week 2 Test 1 = 100% Move up to test 2 (same colour)
    Week 3 Test 2 = 90%
    Week 4 Test 2 = 100%
    Week 5 Test 2 = 100% Move up to test 3 (same colour)
    Week 6 Test 3 =80%
    Week 7 Test 3 = 100%
    Week 8 Test 3 = 90%
    Week 9 Test 3 = 100% Completed colour!

• After completing all three tests, children will receive a certificate in assembly and then be given the words to learn for the next colour.

Administering the tests
    • Children can find the tests by going to our Wikispaces website and then clicking on the side link for ‘Upper KS2’
    [IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRoot%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.jpg[/IMG]
    • The link should take them to the complete list of spellings. From here they can click ‘Games’ to practise their spellings (at school or at home) or ‘Test’ to be tested.
    [IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRoot%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image004.jpg[/IMG]
    • Children will need headphones for the test – the word will be read out to them when they click on the white box (on its own and in a sentence). To listen to the word again, children click on ‘Say it’ and ‘Sentence’. Make sure children listen to both, as some of the words may be homophones.
    [IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRoot%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image006.jpg[/IMG]
    • Children then type their answer in the white box.

• When finished, they click on ‘Check Me!’. They should then wait for the teacher to come over – you will need to record their score as it will not be saved by the computer. Tell the children not to click on ‘Print report’ or ‘Certificate’ (Certificates will not be printed from the website).
    [IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRoot%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image008.jpg[/IMG]

Spelling test
    Name: Date:

Interesting isn't it.
  • edited June 2012
    Did you just take all that out of the Word document I posted above? :D When I said I couldn't open doc files, I meant that most of the text was encoded weird but certain parts of the text was still readable. But anyway, I hope that's what Thirdrock is after.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited June 2012
    I already for the spelling test from another teacher, but I will still check to see if that is it, trx, because It'd be great to have it on my PC for backups, and it'd be more amazing if you found it online. I was talking to a friend at work and he said it'd be hard to find it online.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Make sure you teach them well, ThirdRock. Too often I meet people my age and they can't spell for shit. I was always good at language (writing, spelling, phrasing etc) but crap at maths. But when you are at College and your best mate spells it "Collage", alarm bells start to ring. Much like my mate who is a Staff Sergeant and no exaggeration, I have to read his texts multiple times because they are literally an incomprehensible jumble of letters and numbers.

Fuck knows how he survives in Kandahar or wherever, especially with his rank :facepalm:

Also what do you do at this school? Volunteering? And how long for? Just interested.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for asking Remade- I used to volunteer there while I was learning to drive, and after I passed and had all free time, I was offered an apprenticeship, so now I'm there 5 days a week, 8.30-3.30/4ish. I also help out with their holiday clubs, and I help out in other places just so I can say I done it. I've also go loads of work/units to do, and it's satisfying when I get it done. I've been doing it since about November, and it's definitely what I want to do for the rest of my career. Maybe I can teach the totseans about child care, or maybe I'll be that one little glimpse that shows everyone we're not all child molesters! :)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    I was talking to a friend at work and he said it'd be hard to find it online.
    He's obviously not a totsean then. :p
    RemadE wrote: »
    Make sure you teach them well, ThirdRock. Too often I meet people my age and they can't spell for shit. :facepalm:
    qooted fur troof! :thumbsup:
    edited June 2012
    Lol, BK y du u ave 2 rub it inn? ;)

And that's a pretty sweet position. I recall hearing about your schooling experience before but never asked the backstory. Always intrigues me how people get to where they are now. I volunteered at a special needs school for 6 months when out of College due to my Crohn's. Now that was an interesting time 0_o valium suppositories, fingers in plug sockets, sex ed and hot MILF teachers.
    I'd love to go to a school with a ToTSE ethos ;) it's quite heart warming to read that we aren't all cold bastards who hate the world *turns gaze to TDR, the big steel-covered teddy bear*
    edited June 2012
    I have to stick to curriculum that teachers decide to teach- but I think some of it IS bullshit. Like when they're in ICT they teach them that pop-ups are signs of the devil, where as matter of fact, they're just annoying. And most of the time, they can just be removed due with a add-on. I usually tell them to just keep their wits about them when online, and don't buy into anything. If they're unsure, ask an adult. I TRY to anyway, but other teachers get more input then I do, so what I try to teach them doesn't always go in. It's really weird having to tell them off for swearing, or swinging on their chair. It takes me back to me and trx, trying to swing on our chairs for as long as possible :P But y'know, I try to keep them free-minded, but make sure they stick to their work and get stuck in. I sometimes have to be a bit hypocritical, but all for a good cause, eh?
    edited June 2012
    Sounds a lot like me when I volunteered at a school. Nice work with it - I wish I had a teacher who told me to keep an open mind. Unfortunately too many kids these days are being brought up to resent the system and thus failing as a result because they are more preoccupied with social networking bullshit etc.

Also that spelling list at the top, I scrolled past and saw "redhead", "horny" and "petite". Don't ask.
    edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Also that spelling list at the top, I scrolled past and saw "redhead", "horny" and "petite". Don't ask.

Why were you scrolling past your YouJizz search history?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Why were you scrolling past your YouJizz search history?

I think he was or just using words on top of his head or something.

I hate teaching, not really into it, I can teach pretty well because I can do speeches or stand up to an audience.
  • edited June 2012
    I'd quite like to teach IT or something, and teach it well. My problem with a lot of teachers is that they can teach the curriculum, but if they're not passionate about the subject at hand then it's often boring, straight-up information or just not taught very well. I'm pretty passionate about IT so I think I could teach it in such a way that other people would enjoy as well as sticking to the curriculum.

Also I'd much rather teach in college than a school. If you're taking IT at college, it means you WANT to be there. A lot of people in school only take IT because they HAVE to be there, and teaching people who don't want to be taught would be super shit.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    I have to stick to curriculum that teachers decide to teach- but I think some of it IS bullshit. Like when they're in ICT they teach them that pop-ups are signs of the devil, where as matter of fact, they're just annoying. And most of the time, they can just be removed due with a add-on.
    Nope! They're mostly java related.

I remember when I did my web design cert and commented on a js exercise.
    "We spend most of our browsing time blocking popups with add ons, etc, yet here we are creating them....Whats up with that shit? :confused:
    They weren't very impressed by my comment. :(