Open Source Your Way to a Drone Strike

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2012 in Tech & Games
Imagine a world where you can create a library for Linux platform and find out later that most of your code was used to create a tactical missile system that killed millions of innocent people. Granted most of us wouldn't give a shit, hell we might actually make something that will backfire and kill everyone if possible. There is a slight possibility, since most Military Contractor companies are developing new technologies, they do tend to use Open source code in some of their projects. In future you will see more and more development on this front. Here is a quick article that explore this subject.
I think the GPL and use of the code in mutions gives some rather absurd situations.
Assume that someone fires a cruise missile on you and that there is a GPL component in the cruise missile.

Further assume that the missile is a dud. Ain't you lucky?

Now, you have recieved a device with a copy of GPL software, and we can assume that you aren't part of the senders organization, so I suppose there have to be a written offer somewhere on the missile where you could ask for a copy of the software.

What happens if you exercise your rights? The GPL does not say that the sender can't send a commando team to deliver your code (and execute you) so would you dare to use the rights? (Incidentally I think it do say that they can't charge you for the commando team but that is not much help in this situation)

Is this a loophole in the GPL?

He is referring to GPL code, I have the example of Linux Platform, there is a difference here but I hope you got the idea.

via

Fun Fact: Normal GPS devices that we use or are available to consumers have an auto shut off function that activates when the GPS detects that's it's either traveling around 1200 mph or is at an altitude of 60,000. This is a fail safe implemented to make sure the GPS devices aren't used in guided missles.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2012
    The GPL doesn't cover output. The output of GPL software is not GPLed. It is actually legally impossible to copyright software output.

Also, state of war = suspension of international treaties.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    I remember you used to be able to intercept Drone data with things like LANGrabber if you could connect to a military network, or something to that effect.

If i could make an open-source program that I could fire somewhere and kill a few hundred thousand people with no repercussions, I wouldn't leave my room for code....
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    I remember you used to be able to intercept Drone data with things like LANGrabber if you could connect to a military network, or something to that effect.

If i could make an open-source program that I could fire somewhere and kill a few hundred thousand people with no repercussions, I wouldn't leave my room for code....

I actually have the program somewhere, basically you used a Satellite and connected to their Internal network.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    *holds gun to the screen*

Send it, NAO! I have some Military ebooks I'm posting in printed matter now and would love to wind up my Military mates.

"Erm Delta-niner, we have a bogey assuming control of drone #Alpha Hotel one, how copy?"