Voices in my ear

edited June 2012 in Life
.redacted.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Okay, this is going to sound spooky. But in my family or most Islamic families or Pakistani families in general hearing voices is generally associated with paranormal, like ghosts and what not. I am not going to contest the existence of these beings considering my past. In my humble opinion these things are usually associated with some stress, like when I tried to sleep in one room I just couldn't dose off, I would always feel the same way. Everyone else in that room had this sort of feeling, to make sure I troll every one; I hyped up the story and checked if people around me responded to it. Turns out, they did.

An elderly person who is a professor (well, the correct term would be teacher or something but it's hard to translate) told my Dad regarding this Ghosts and supernatural creations. They’re just stories that got translated in our heads. Every child is told some weird ghost story about something happening to their parents or grandfather; children at that age take everything to heart. As we grow up that little spot of fear grows in our minds making those stories into actual facts. The more stories you hear, the more you believe in them which ultimately make you scared of things that no one notices. Plus in great stress you start to imagine things, lack of sleep does that too.

If you told this story of hearing voices, the typical response you would get is simple, someone has cursed you, there is some black magic here, read this and it will go away and bullshit. Honestly, it's just your head. I would advise just in the name of science to place a voice recorder near your head and record it while something like that happens, in doing so you will cancel out the possibility of some lame prank. Next, focus on something like reading a book, diverting your attention towards some other activity might reduce its effectiveness. . We need to check how powerful these voices are or either they're triggered by something or are they time dependent.

Like in my case 2:45~3:15 Am is the ideal time for something paranormal to happen. Currently I am not affected by the fear that I was entrapped in for years, you just have to solve the problem using science. If nothing works, than consult the head guy, at least you can show him that you did investigate and tried to find a logical answer.
    Still having trouble, write about it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    I've woken up once while just drifting off to sleep with a scream in my ear. Convinced it was real or paranormal, I got up and stayed up all night. Only seen a psychiatrist for other issues, as I don't have voices or the like.

Dfg has some good advice, too. Cultural input is always interesting. Hopefully the Psychs can find something and you don't come across as the Paranoid-Schizo type, so hopefully there's a more down to earth explanation. All the best, DC. Missed you as of late!
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited June 2012
    Sounds like you may be suffering from bouts of sleep paralysis. I have these from time to time. They can manifest themselves in many different ways, often you aren't even aware that the body is technically asleep and sufferers often swear that they can move just fine, but auditory and visual hallucinations are very common with this condition. I myself usually feel strangled and as if someone is bearing down on my body and quite often hear sounds or see bursts of color. I wouldn't be too worried about this though it sounds like a classic variation of sleep paralysis, I would recommend a sleep study as sleep paralysis often goes hand in hand with central sleep apnea, a condition in which the brain doesn't properly regulate respiration during sleep.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    I have never heard voices but I saw them on acid once.
  • edited June 2012
    It's common to hear sounds or see things just before you fall asleep, it's called "Hypnagogic Imagery" and I've been awoken by it many times. Really annoying, actually! Anyway, read this;
    Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also just reading through that, it reminds me of when I wake up in the morning and imagine that my girlfriend is actually talking to me. I'd hear her say something loud and clear, but it's all in my head. She thinks I'm mad when I respond in real life, because she never said anything in the first place. Mental!