Netgear DGN2000 Review - Overheating Problems, Save Your Money.

edited June 2012 in Tech & Games
aXGd0.jpg

Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N Modem Router - A Short Review

Being a tech-fan, I was happy to take this router off my friend's hands last night after they had recently purchased another one in an attempt to win the battle of Wireless connectivity in their house once and for all. They've been having problems getting Wireless signals to communicate through the thick walled house for as long as I can remember, so they purchased a Netgear DGN2000 router as they thought it might be the solution. But they were wrong.

It comes in a standard box, the same size as you'd expect for any other Netgear router. Various features are advertised on the front of the box, such as;
  • High Speed
  • Secure Connection
  • Wi-Fi and Power On/Off Buttons
  • Parental Controls
  • Better Range
  • Multiplayer Gaming

Nothing to be amazed at, it's all fairly bog-standard stuff which comes with pretty much all other household routers of today. However, the Netgear DGN2000 DOES offer 270Mb/s Wireless-N connectivity, which is pretty cool.
The Worst Part - Overheating Problems

This router gets HOT. So hot that people have had problems with the router bricking itself, Ethernet ports overheating and getting damaged, and even overheating during Winter in Finland!

Some people have cut holes in the router for ventilation, often adding fans to improve air-flow and cooling but it's just too much effort for such a crappy router.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I would recommend taking the cover off and adding a fan on it. That reminds me, I should do a review of my router.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    I believe over clocking the wireless range on a modem with the help of a 3rd party upgrade like "DD-WRT" can cause similar issues to over clocking a cpu. Perhaps you could use this to your advantage to bring down the range slightly. This may reduce the heating issue.

Whether the DGN2K is supported by DD-WRT is another story. Anyways....Here's the Life hacker page out of my way back bookmarks.

http://lifehacker.com/178132/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router
  • edited June 2012
    Underclocking the router might work, no idea how you'd do that though. I checked the compatibility on DD-WRT and it's not even listed which is a shame :( Could try anyway and see what happens :thumbsup:
    I would recommend taking the cover off and adding a fan on it. That reminds me, I should do a review of my router.

You could but I honestly think it's more hassle than it's worth. The router isn't even that special - I have the model DOWN from this one (DGN1000) and it works great. No overheating problems at all, and it handles a home connection with ease. For the sake of keeping costs down, I'd pick the DGN1000 over the 2000 any day.