Like button

SpinsterSpinster Regular
edited July 2012 in Help and Suggestions
Sometimes when Im browsing the forums I read a post that I like so I want to show the member that wrote the thread/post that I thought it was funny/informative but I dont have anything useful or constructive to add, But a short three word "good read bro" seems a little pointless.

This is why I think we should introduce the like button.

Yay or nay?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    I can use the Facebook like button if you want :D.

EDIT: Going to test Facebook like feature.
  • edited June 2012
    Dfg wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't want this place to have anything to do with Facebook. It's a bit like this;

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/21386-Facebook-Like-Button--Privacy-Violation--Security-Risk.html

We've discussed about having a thanks system in the past but we concluded that it would be much more beneficial for users to say thanks in an actual post. If you think that saying a mere "thanks bro!" is too short for a reply, why not add some additional thoughts and feedback onto the end of it?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012

Totseans and facebook?

Goes against the ethos of read know and do. I can understand getting traffic via facebook but maybe an internal like button is better - not one linked to Facebook. A place that will end up owning us is not one to be messed with. I'd gladly hold a weapon with a hair-trigger to Zuckerbergs' head.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012

trx100 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't want this place to have anything to do with Facebook. It's a bit like this;

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/21386-Facebook-Like-Button--Privacy-Violation--Security-Risk.html

We've discussed about having a thanks system in the past but we concluded that it would be much more beneficial for users to say thanks in an actual post. If you think that saying a mere "thanks bro!" is too short for a reply, why not add some additional thoughts and feedback onto the end of it?

RemadE wrote: »
    Totseans and facebook?

Goes against the ethos of read know and do. I can understand getting traffic via facebook but maybe an internal like button is better - not one linked to Facebook. A place that will end up owning us is not one to be messed with. I'd gladly hold a weapon with a hair-trigger to Zuckerbergs' head.

No facebook and I will hold his head.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Fuck no. I don't want to see us linked with facebook in any way, shape or form.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Okay okay, no facebook.

Jeez.

*looks for his buttplug*
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    Okay okay, no facebook.

Jeez.

*looks for his buttplug*
    Hey! That's a good idea.....Howbout.........A "Buttplug" button? :eek:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »

You tempt me :D
    edited June 2012
    That is pretty tempting for a "me no likey" button...
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited June 2012
    It has nothing to do with Face book.

I did some research and it appears that add on is called the face book like button. BUT!! urban dictionary had the like feature before You tube or face book! so most likely Mark Zuckerjewname stole it from there.

Looks like the vote is not in favour of the like button anyway, thanks for your input.
    edited June 2012
    Okay okay, no facebook.

Jeez.

*looks for his buttplug*
    bornkiller wrote: »

I am Darth Beaver and I support ^this message.

Paid for the the Darth Beaver for the Buttplug Button Comittee
  • edited June 2012
    Looks like the vote is not in favour of the like button anyway, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your suggestion! I hate seeing ideas get shot down, but surely you can understand the negative feedback on this one? Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:
    edited July 2012
    Hrrrmph, I am still waiting on the buttplug button.:angry:
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    I have no horse in this race (as i don't have facebook).

If you look at a "like button" as a way to recommend a page, then it has some merit. I personally think twitter would be more effective, as facebook is too personal.
  • edited July 2012
    Here's a suggestion - the social buttons we currently have on the forum are right at the bottom (Twitter, reddit, etc) and they're very out of the way. In fact I rarely scroll down far enough to even see them there, so maybe we could get those moved somewhere else on the page and make them a bit more accessible? It might help people share things on other sites a little easier.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited July 2012
    I'm sure someone suggested this a while ago. I think this would drive us into a Facepunch style, where people just bitch about the likes, or the 'dumb' selections and stuff. Personally, I think it'd mean a lot more if you liked a post, you TELL them you like it. :)
    edited July 2012
    Hrrrmph, I am still waiting on the buttplug button.:angry:

DaGuru may have an arsehole the size of a small planet if that came along.

I approve!