Got my lockpicks

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited August 2012 in Man Cave
Brought these the other week http://www.lockpickshop.com/C801.html. They finally arrived today and just picked my first lock :D. Managed to pick it in about 3 minutes which IMO cant be too bad for a complete newbie. Definitely taking them along with me when I go to have a proper look at this mental hospital as all the doors are locked.

Lockpick set:

IMG_0389.JPG

Locked:

IMG_0385.JPG

Picked:

IMG_0384.JPG

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited July 2012
    Cool as man, i have always wanted to learn how to pick. today at Polytec out tutor showed use how to unlock a car with a steel ruler (slim jim).

I might need to practise and make a how to.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    Cool as man, i have always wanted to learn how to pick. today at Polytec out tutor showed use how to unlock a car with a steel ruler (slim jim).

I might need to practise and make a how to.

I used a wire coat hanger once to unlock my car. Took me two hours to get it open.
    edited July 2012
    I used a wire coat hanger once to unlock my car. Took me two hours to get it open.

Try 1 minute.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    Envy :(

I would get in trouble if I got those but I love to pick locks.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited July 2012
    I'm sure we have some guides on lockpicking somewhere- have you had a search? I know you said you've already got the hang of it, but no one can stop learning!
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Exactly the same as mine :D nice job on picking. Honestly, for the first few days, you'll look at every lock and think how to pick it.
    See if you can do a padlock. Commonly used and apart from Tri-Circle, pretty damn easy (or challenging, but despite the name, Master brand ones are pretty easy).
    edited July 2012
    I got a master brand padlock yesterday and managed to pick it after about 45 minutes. Went out on a night op last night and managed to get a few doors open just by pushing the saw rake into the lock. No effort what so ever and it unlocked. I was quite surprised really since it may set around 2 to 3 pins in any of the locks around home and the rest have to be picked individually.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    It is scary just how easy it is to pick some locks. I went on a mini night ops as there is an allotment near the end of my road and I thought I'd see just how many padlocks I could pick on the sheds there. I must have got through at least 80% of them.
    Didn't take anything as I'm not a dick, but I felt like leaving a notice saying to replace their locks. A lot of people just don't think about it. Plus there's no point in having a fat, reinforced padlock if it is set on a piece of metal/wood attaching it to the door which you can take off with a screwdriver or crowbar.

Plus I'd love to come on a Night Op with you. No homo.
    edited July 2012
    One lock last night gave me problems. No matter which way I turned the plug I couldn't get it to turn any more than about a third of a turn in either direction. It almost felt like the pins were catching as the plug was rotated.
  • edited July 2012
    One lock last night gave me problems. No matter which way I turned the plug I couldn't get it to turn any more than about a third of a turn in either direction. It almost felt like the pins were catching as the plug was rotated.

Possibly had security pins in it which can really fuck you up if you don't know how to pick them properly. I suggest reading about it!
    edited July 2012
    From what I can gather about security pins is that they catch on the shear line. With the lock in question, I could get all the pins to set and the plug to turn as it would with the key. I tried at least 5 times and at the most could only turn the plug 180-200 degrees at most. It almost was like it would jam or catch on something inside. Maybe some security method I haven't yet read about perhaps
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2012
    Have fun with them. I haven't done much picking for about 8-9 years now, but it was crazy how easy most locks can be opened. security pins can be a major PITA.
    edited July 2012
    My mate forgot his keys for his tool box a Polytec today. So I picked it open in less than three seconds with a 45thou feeler gauge :D

Then I locked it again at the end of the day for him too :cool:

they are not very good locks, but they have pins on both sides like a car. it was quite easy but in saying that there was some technique involved, at first it was dumb luck. but I spent sometime during the day perfecting it.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2012
    The funny thing I've found is that some wafer tumbler cam locks are easier to pick open than they are to relock. :D
    Also, while most car keys are double sided, not all the locks are. Many locks are actually single sided, and the key is double sided to keep the usable life of the key the same as older designs that used separate keys for both door and ignition. For instance, some of the older double sided ford locks have the pins oriented at the top of the door lock facing (driven) down (as most standard locks are installed), and the pins in the steering column/dash are oriented on the bottom facing up This is in order to even out the wear on the key. Nowadays, most people don't even use the key to open the door anymore due to keyless entry systems, so the life is increased even further.
    edited August 2012
    So I just discovered just how cheap and poorly designed "master lock" branded padlocks really are. The one I have can be picked by either setting each pin as you normally would when picking or by applying plenty of tension, then jamming each driver pin down far enough that its tip sits below the shear line and the plug turns normally. There is just so much of a tolerance in its design, its bullshit.

If you want security, don't buy master lock padlocks.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2012
    From what I can gather about security pins is that they catch on the shear line. With the lock in question, I could get all the pins to set and the plug to turn as it would with the key. I tried at least 5 times and at the most could only turn the plug 180-200 degrees at most. It almost was like it would jam or catch on something inside. Maybe some security method I haven't yet read about perhaps
    That doesn't sound like security pins at all. Was it an old lock? Locks that have been exposed to the elements for a long time are more difficult to pick. Having some graphite powder with you to lubricate the lock may help. Don't use liquid lubricants on locks that you plan on picking more than once because it will make the pins sticky.

So I just discovered just how cheap and poorly designed "master lock" branded padlocks really are. The one I have can be picked by either setting each pin as you normally would when picking or by applying plenty of tension, then jamming each driver pin down far enough that its tip sits below the shear line and the plug turns normally. There is just so much of a tolerance in its design, its bullshit.

If you want security, don't buy master lock padlocks.

Most master locks are shit. If you want a good lock, then use the American 5200. I gutted one once and to my surprise found that they have serrated pins and drivers. I was never able to pick one, but like all locks, they can be picked. Very difficult.

You can learn lots more about locks by finding one that isn't laminated and disassembling it. Try putting it back together as well.

Is the lockpicking thread still here? There were a lot of great links in it.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2012
    With the lock in question, I could get all the pins to set and the plug to turn as it would with the key. I tried at least 5 times and at the most could only turn the plug 180-200 degrees at most. It almost was like it would jam or catch on something inside. Maybe some security method I haven't yet read about perhaps
    180'd lock
    edited August 2012
    ^That's interesting to know.