Why do metal pipes make marijuana taste bad?

MegaKushMegaKush Regular
edited July 2010 in Man Cave
Why could this be? i was smoking out of an anodized aluminum pipe yesterday and realized how bad the smoke tasted compared to my glass spoon. It has been this way with every metal pipe i have smoked out of, tin foil was the worst. Is there any reason metal pipes make weed taste alot worse than glass? I wouldnt think i could be burning the metal because that seems impossible.

Comments

• Death SnuggleDeath Snuggle Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Well, burning metal isn't impossible but it won't be a viable fuel source just by smoking from it. I'm pretty sure it's just how it reacts chemically to the smoke which offsets the taste to a more metallic flavor. I've also noticed that if a metal bowl is used on a bong, you won't taste the difference. That is of course if it is filled with water.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well this reason in especially true for someing dank, but I would say it just stems from the thought that shit man I am smokeing this aswome herb out of a fucking metal pipe, I need to fix the flux capacitor I have gone back highschool?
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Erorr wrote: »
    Corncob > Everything else

Now that you mention it, I did really like that corncob pipe....

also, post # 420 :cool:
  • edited July 2010
    Metals sometimes make shit taste funny.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    Erorr wrote: »
    When i say corncob over everything its not because there some novelty piece. I dont even mean it in a humorous way.

It's mouthpiece isnt a giant gaping hole, the pull on it conserves weed and the taste is pleasant from it. That and the way the bowl is has it to where the pot actually burns at the best rate.

Since its layered and stacked so deep you dont just blast through it all in a handful of tokes. It cherries correctly and each hit turns to ash ontop of fresh bud.

You just get more out of every bowl and they last alot longer.

I genuinely love corncob pipes there perfect for me. I just wish they didnt have an ironic status cause wiping out a corncob in a social setting gets you some wierd looks and people woulnt even use it without a frown or a grimace

LuL I know what you mean, I had a buddy that always had a conrob pipe on him, and whenever he would wipe it out it would cause a debate beween the people who expect a heady glass piece or those with corncob nostalgia.

Personally I wouldent go out of my way to grt one, but Ill admit a nicely packed cob it good for sittin back an cheifin on a phat bowl.
  • KowKow Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I haven't ever actually seen a corncob pipe before. Id love to try one out.

As for metal pipes, I've never noticed a difference in taste, only the specific heat temperature.
  • edited July 2010
    Kow wrote: »
    I haven't ever actually seen a corncob pipe before. Id love to try one out.

As for metal pipes, I've never noticed a difference in taste, only the specific heat temperature.

The thicker the cob material, th better. That inner flesh is only 1" thick in supermarket corn. Perhaps fodder cobs would work better as if the are stressed, they crack along the vertical grain of the kernel spots.