Firearm restriction to certain persons within the United States

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2012 in Man Cave
So I was Googling around after watching a show on TV (Hardcore Pawn, for those who wish to know - basically a show where black people sell shit for crack, including a Cadillac with a dead body in the trunk, and a crazy white woman selling "Nazi Memorabilia" which was clearly fake).

But anyway, I was wondering - If I, RemadE, were to move to the States (yes, the US of A)

a) How long would I have to wait until I could legally own a firearm?

and

b) I am diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (not that it means much) but it is a recognised Mental Illness.

Would option "b" impact my ownership of a firearm at all? I have looked but can only find discussions, no actual laws/statutes. I'm guessing it differs from State to State. Also it's hypothetical. I'm not planning on moving to the States anytime soon (I'd be moving to North Africa long before then just because it's like the Wild West)

Also update for my trip to Virginia next year - my Nan is petrified of Snakes, to the point where she wanted to cancel the trip altogether. After a good metaphorical slapping around I convinced her to go, but the people we are staying with.
Well, they are Republican mad and the Husband of the Family is a Lawyer.
Might pretend I'm gay. If I get shot, then I apologise.

But anyway, what definitions are there for restrictions on firearms in the United States? EG - convicted Felon etc. and will these laws cover my mental illness? (although i don't see it as that, just an eccentric side to me, which has the odd peak and trough at times - they can result in euphoria to suicidal and homicidal tendencies, however) but everyone gets that at one point or another in their lives.

Comments

• ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited August 2012
    Gun laws vary quite a bit from state to state. I don't off the top of my head know of any states with law preventing those with diagnosed mental health conditions from purchasing a weapon, felonies are the only real stumbling block I can think of. Arkansas is very lax on its gun laws, guns aren't even registered here. Citizenship would be the only stumbling block off the top of my head, you would have to prove legal residence in your state for at least 90 days as a legal alien, I.E. a resident alien. However in many southern states this can be overcome fairly easily by the fact that many newspapers have a gun listing in their classifieds where private citizens sell weapons they no longer want or need, I have never bought a firearm this way that I saw the person concerned with anything other than whether you had the cash on hand. I would advise being careful were you to do something like that however, as I am not sure what the penalties, if any, would be if you as a non resident alien were found in possession of a fire arm.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2012
    There is no record of your "mental illness" in the U.S. so that would not be an issue unless you brought it up. But as Arkansan said it varies widely in all 50 states and being as the bill of right is applied to everyone equally when it comes to matters of due process of law for sovereigns, citizens, and foreign nationals alike it would be legally arguable at the Federal level (if it was not corrupt) that as non sovereigns can be held accountable by all laws permitted by the U.S. Constitution and are due the same due process of law as provided in the 5th Amendment that they should be due the same rights as provided in the Constitution's other Amendments unless they are expressly reserved for sovereigns or citizens (which none are other than the three regarding voting 17th, 24th, and 26th).

5th Amendment
    No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
    (Note that it states any person not ay sovereign or any citizen.)

But again what is legal under the constitution on paper when it comes the the 2d Amendment (which is a simple straight forward one sentence statement with little room for interpretation regardless the rhetoric which the neo liberal freedom stealing gun control lobbyist spew) and what is in practice are not only two different worlds but vary in all 50 states.

Here is a state by state list of gun ownership laws as per the language of the actual statutes as passed by the several states respective legislatures.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/criminal-laws/gun-control/
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did figure citizenship and felonies would be the big hurdles.
    The adverts in "southern paper" for firearms, I think I would steer clear from just in case any eyebrows were raised - "Oh you're an alien (lol, that term..) and you have an unlicensed firearm?", fuck I don't even want to imagine the consequences.
    I was gonna say, the 2nd amendment can't go far wrong as it's not long. Which makes me wonder how it differs so much but I think the legal way is the most safe one to take. Either that or go to Canada, eh ;)
    But I didn't know about Arkansas. That's mad. Guessing firearms are rather widespread there (pretty stupid question considering the States..derp)

Ps. Hmm, Virginia.."mentally incapacitated". Heheh. What they won't know won't hurt them :hai:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2012
    Arizona is probably the most permissive of all 50 states. They have no waiting period, no permit requirement, and the only persons prohibited are "1. Anyone found to constitute a danger to himself or others pursuant to court order and whose court-ordered treatment has not been terminated by court order; 2. Convicted felon involving violence or possession and use of deadly weapon or dangerous instrument and whose civil rights have not been restored; 3. Imprisoned or in correctional/detention facility".
    edited September 2012
    Guns in Arkansas are so wide spread that no one even thinks about them. Most homes have at least one rifle and one shotgun, everyone I know owns multiple guns. We have gun shows all the time as well. Even with gun ownership as common as it is gun crime is mostly relegated to a certain ethnic group. White Arkansan culture, particularly in rual areas is still a fist fighting culture so it tends to come as bit of shock in those areas when a shooting does happen.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited September 2012
    The gun laws in my state suck!
    Last year me and the wife took a gun safety course with the thought that we could then get a permit for a home defense type weapon.No way hosey not that easy.
    After the safety course there is the permit application process,which ends in an interview with chief of police in your town.If he don't like your face no permit, no ifs and buts about it,he has the finial say.
    So until I move I'm not going to bother trying to get a permit.Me and the Chief have met a few times and he don't like me.
    edited September 2012
    You have to have a permit to have gun in your home? Fuck that noise, shit move down it practically rains guns down here. To get my carry license all I had to do was take a 50 dollar class and pay 150 for the actual paper and that was to concealed carry in public, at home you can have whatever you want basically. Arkansas is a shall issue state to, meaning unless your a felon, if you take the class and pay the fee you WILL be given your carry license.