Remaking myself.

ArkansanArkansan Regular
edited September 2012 in Life
So as many of you know I had a stint in the hospital a few months back, before that I had started losing weight. I had been trying to get back to where I was when my wife and I were dating. Well since I have been out of the hospital and my diet has changed for the better I have lost about 35 pounds, all total I have lost 55 pounds putting me about 7 pounds from my ideal weight of 215. Since I have a child coming I have been really motivated to improve my lazy ass, these past three weeks I have been lifting weights again and walking about a mile and a half a day. I am trying to get myself back into the shape I was in when I was involved in amateur mma, needless to say I have a ways to go.

I have also been trying to improve my mind, I have been teaching myself to write left handed, I am also in the process of learning my ancestral language, welsh, and I have been revisiting many of the old works of philosophy I was once more familiar with. Anyway I was wondering if any of my fellow totseans had more ideas on ways to expand my mind, cool skills to learn, or just general advice?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2012
    Gimme a few hours and then I will response in full. But mostly aim for stuff you know you can change easily and then commit for longer changes.
  • greenspam2012greenspam2012 Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2012
    Arkansan wrote: »
    So as many of you know I had a stint in the hospital a few months back, before that I had started losing weight. I had been trying to get back to where I was when my wife and I were dating. Well since I have been out of the hospital and my diet has changed for the better I have lost about 35 pounds, all total I have lost 55 pounds putting me about 7 pounds from my ideal weight of 215. Since I have a child coming I have been really motivated to improve my lazy ass, these past three weeks I have been lifting weights again and walking about a mile and a half a day. I am trying to get myself back into the shape I was in when I was involved in amateur mma, needless to say I have a ways to go.

I have also been trying to improve my mind, I have been teaching myself to write left handed, I am also in the process of learning my ancestral language, welsh, and I have been revisiting many of the old works of philosophy I was once more familiar with. Anyway I was wondering if any of my fellow totseans had more ideas on ways to expand my mind, cool skills to learn, or just general advice?

It's good you're walking outside, I havn't been able to workout much other than leg lifts (due to an injury). I was going to suggest a stairmaster and some 8 pound weights to use. you could use 25 pounders but it will wear you out pretty fast, those small weights will get your Heart rate up when lifting them above your head while walking or hiking. treadmills are good too but take about 30 minutes I'm told (by a physician) before pounds melt off. a treadmill starts in about 10 minutes. you only need about 20 minutes of climbing?
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited September 2012
    Yeah I like walking outside much better than I do walking on a tread mill. Right now I am lifting with 15 lb weights until I am cleared by my cardiologist to go heavier. I have found over the years that when working out for general fitness dumbbells from 8-15 lbs are more than enough if used properly.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited September 2012
    I know this might sound stupid but stretching,toe touches stuff like that can help a lot.
    For the last three weeks I have made it point to stretch every night,simple stuff but its done wonders for my shoulder and my right foot.
    The pain I have been living with for the last 4 years has been reduced by at least half.Funny my doctor never recommended it.
    Remember to stretch before and after your work outs.
    Good luck with the baby on the way.:)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2012
    It's the diet. A change in diet changes your entire mental state. I notice I'm at my mental best when I'm hungry for instance. Try eating less then you need for a while.

My only advice is: break routine. Routine kills you. If you drive home the same way everyday, try to drive a different way occasionally - that sort of thing.

If you muck about with your life schedule, you'll literally be exposed to a new way of life.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2012
    Try this also as you need to work your mind and body.

http://www.worldkungfu.com/clearmind.html