Remove Post Count From SG, B&M and HB

da teachada teacha Regular
edited July 2010 in Help and Suggestions
edit: Remove Contribution to Post Count in SG, B&M and HB

Some people care about post count, so instead of 'rewarding' them for spamming up the converation forums with their shite, we should be encouraging them to look further afield and to contribute to the meaningful forums.

I personally think post counts should be removed altogether, as they serve no purpose. However, I doubt that will happen here, so whilst they're still intact, they should be some kind of measure as to how much that poster has contributed here: something which will not work if there's a +1 for SG, HB and B&M; where nothing of real value really gets posted.

Comments

• Pill PopperPill Popper Regular
    edited July 2010
    Now why would a troll be complaining about post count

Oh yeah because you are getting picked on

STFU troll
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Removing, adding post count doesn't make a difference. You can easily see the results on Zoklet. Just ignore it. I have the second highest post count on Zoklet and the second highest on Totse. I am telling you, it doesn't make a difference.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Removing, adding post count doesn't make a difference. You can easily see the results on Zoklet. Just ignore it. I have the second highest post count on Zoklet and the second highest on Totse. I am telling you, it doesn't make a difference.

This.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    Some people care about post count, so instead of 'rewarding' them for spamming up the converation forums with their shite, we should be encouraging them to look further afield and to contribute to the meaningful forums.

I personally think post counts should be removed altogether, as they serve no purpose. However, I doubt that will happen here, so whilst they're still intact, they should be some kind of measure as to how much that poster has contributed here: something which will not work if there's a +1 for SG, HB and B&M; where nothing of real value really gets posted.

Nobody is spamming, yet knock on wood. Spammers can be dealt with, &Z did it the wrong way from the get-go and also this isn't &Z. Totse had problems with spam and IIRC it didn't implement any policy to discourage regulars and rather focused on eliminating the spam problem.

Post count is a double edged sword, of course the count represents nothing in reference to content of a post, but it can help newbies immediately recognize who the more regular folk are. When I go to any forum to this day I pay less attention to the guy whose been around for a year or more and only has 100 posts vs the guy who has thousands and many years on the forum. Reason my habits never changed is because it always proves to be accurate in judging the persons response. Seems shady to say it but those who contribute more are taken more seriously by outsiders than those who don't. It's just a natural human response.

Try it out and see for yourself, at least it proves itself to the half-dozen forums I frequent.
  • edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    Nobody is spamming, yet knock on wood. Spammers can be dealt with, &Z did it the wrong way from the get-go and also this isn't &Z. Totse had problems with spam and IIRC it didn't implement any policy to discourage regulars and rather focused on eliminating the spam problem.

Post count is a double edged sword, of course the count represents nothing in reference to content of a post, but it can help newbies immediately recognize who the more regular folk are. When I go to any forum to this day I pay less attention to the guy whose been around for a year or more and only has 100 posts vs the guy who has thousands and many years on the forum. Reason my habits never changed is because it always proves to be accurate in judging the persons response. Seems shady to say it but those who contribute more are taken more seriously by outsiders than those who don't. It's just a natural human response.

Try it out and see for yourself, at least it proves itself to the half-dozen forums I frequent.

There have been circumstances where expertise was not relative to post count (see you all can etibem on shroomery) but often I find LSA's observation to be a common phenomenon.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Letting people have their post count will encourage those that really care about it to keep their spam in those forums. Those are the forums that encourage quick posts, so taking away the post count from them would probably result in the people who really want to up their count to make shitty posts elsewhere.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Now why would a troll be complaining about post count

Oh yeah because you are getting picked on

STFU troll

LOL, wtf are you on about? I'm trying to suggest things to make this place better because Totse was an invaluable resource for me, and I don't want to see this site go the same way as Zoklet: i.e. where dramafaggery > exchange of useful knowledge.
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »

Nobody is spammiing? Are you fucking joking? Look at SG; it is absolute horseshit, full of kids creating wanky topics. The place is a joke, and a shadow of its former self.

You say post count helps identify who the regulars are; the ones newcomers naturally think are the good posters. Who do you want the newcomers to think they are: the kids spamming up HB with 1000 shitty posts, or those with 1000 posts in BLTC?

We shouldn't be encouraging people to spam up the general conversation forums with a load of shit: put the emphasis back in exchanging knowledge in the real forums so we can actually generate some content.
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Letting people have their post count will encourage those that really care about it to keep their spam in those forums. Those are the forums that encourage quick posts, so taking away the post count from them would probably result in the people who really want to up their count to make shitty posts elsewhere.

Firstly, at least it will get them out of the convo forums, and into the other forums, where they might just find something interesting to contribute to.

Secondly, if they do decide to spam up with useless shit, do we really want those kind of posters here? They'll be swiftly banned and everybody will be better off.
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »

Error in title. I meant contribution to post count.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited July 2010
    My opinion is simple.
    While post counts do not particularly contribute to the functionality of the forum, they do not hinder it either.
    Therefore, they are harmless. Sure, you will get a few trolls trolling every now and then, but that's what moderators are for.

However, post counts serve as a good medium for weighing up a user's legitimacy. If you see someone posting something potentially inflammatory, their post count would be a good reference of character. Whereas a 120+ post user is probably serious, a >20 post is probably just trolling.
  • edited July 2010
    Firstly, at least it will get them out of the convo forums, and into the other forums, where they might just find something interesting to contribute to.

Secondly, if they do decide to spam up with useless shit, do we really want those kind of posters here? They'll be swiftly banned and everybody will be better off.

I thought SG was the home of stupid shit and shooting the shit. Does it really matter THAT much? I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. And seriously, may I ask what qualifies as spam to you? The closest to spam I think we've had is brandon. and that Nigger guy who spammed us up a little.
  • edited July 2010
    I say keep them. I don't care about them, but they're just nice to have. It encourages posting. I wouldn't spam here, because I value this place way too much. It's probably the same for a lot of people here.
    edited July 2010
    Nobody is spammiing? Are you fucking joking? Look at SG; it is absolute horseshit, full of kids creating wanky topics. The place is a joke, and a shadow of its former self.

You say post count helps identify who the regulars are; the ones newcomers naturally think are the good posters. Who do you want the newcomers to think they are: the kids spamming up HB with 1000 shitty posts, or those with 1000 posts in BLTC?

We shouldn't be encouraging people to spam up the general conversation forums with a load of shit: put the emphasis back in exchanging knowledge in the real forums so we can actually generate some content.

The only one I've noticed "spamming" was Rainycity a couple days back. Immaturity has always existed on SG/HB/BLTC. They aren't quite the most serious forums, never were unfortunately even back in 2002 when I joined. BLTC was probably more serious out of the three, but it quickly took a nose dive soon after I joined which is why I quit posting in there.

I agree content should be prime, of course, but when I compare Old Totse to &Z to New Totse I can't hardly notice except there are fewer people who still have a hint of &Z in their posting. It's also the forum moderators job to set the standards for the forum they moderate. They should create a Sticky thread with a well detailed intro, but until then things are just a little chaotic.

The knowledge is there and content is being generated (from what I see). Maybe not to perfection or quick enough for your liking, but at a steady pace nonetheless. I just don't see how we can make a comparison to the original &T because 8 years ago it was far smaller and never what you thought it was. We should strive for what you're saying though, but at this point Moderators have to set down some sort of law aka guideline that outlines things in a way that doesn't piss everyone off and bring back the "Awww is this &Z?" Post count isn't the reason quality or complete shit is created. Look at BC and other forums on &Z.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    I lol'd at the title of this thread when I saw it on the main page. Seriously? Who gives a fuck? This is like a Zoklet-quality thread. :facepalm: I can imagine Zok replying to this now, saying "Hmm this is interesting, blah blah blah" or some shit.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Remove post count as a whole in all forums.
    edited July 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Remove post count as a whole in all forums.

Best post in this thread by far.
    edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    I lol'd at the title of this thread when I saw it on the main page. Seriously? Who gives a fuck? This is like a Zoklet-quality thread. :facepalm: I can imagine Zok replying to this now, saying "Hmm this is interesting, blah blah blah" or some shit.

I didn't want to say it first, but that's exactly what I thought. IMO it just has nothing to do with anything. People won't change because it's there or isn't, but rather on whether or not the place they visit is worth enough time and energy to make worth while contributions. Nothing is going to change that which is why guidelines have to be created per fora by those in-charge. Also the original Totse was 100% free speech as long as the thread/post was on topic. Off topic posts should be dealt with in accordance by staff members when the problem persists.

FYI just an observation people should note. Contact staff when you see a problem instead of making threads/posts about it. It eliminates the "nagging" effect that drives people bonkers and looks hypocritical. Kind of off topic but I think it needed to be said in advance. Either way I could really care less, I just don't personally see eye to eye without a decent debate on this.
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't know HB had post count. Lol.

Keep post count in SG tho.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    HB always had post count. At one point Jeff fucked something up or deleted the HB posts. I forget what happened, but everyone lost all their HB posts, and some people's post count went down by thousands. Was pretty funny.

We need to keep post count so people can easily see who is an active member and who is not. I think this is important.
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    HB always had post count. At one point Jeff fucked something up or deleted the HB posts. I forget what happened, but everyone lost all their HB posts, and some people's post count went down by thousands. Was pretty funny.

We need to keep post count so people can easily see who is an active member and who is not. I think this is important.

However, is the trash in SG and HB the kind of activity which we want to show?
  • edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »

I thought the like to be honest. Seriously, it doesn't add or subtract to the net value of the forum. It may influence individuals' estimations of a user, but that's about it. Let the lulz live.