Remembrance Day

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2012 in Spurious Generalities
So the 11th of November. I thought I would write this as we have members here from all over, some from Commonwealth Nations and others from Nations bordering those we are bombing the living shit out of.

I went to Remembrance Day - something similar to that of "Veterans day" in the USA but times they are-a changing.
Why?

The WW1 and WW2 generations are dying off.
History is becoming something which may be interpreted by Political Parties, Groups and Individuals. Instead of having those who lived through the experience and can give a first-hand account, we will soon live through the History books, family accounts and soon enough, a generation that have just "heard" about WW1 and WW2. Just think, there are kids now who weren't alive before 9/11, so they may think the world has always been in this state of turmoil. Lol, turmoil.

By doing that, people can easily manipulate History, and to both good and bad ends.

Good because it allows Revisionism, and a different perspective of the events between 1914-1918 and 1939-1945.

The bad side is down to Political Parties and how they can easily hijack the emotional aspect, saying "Your Grandfather would be proud" or "Your Grandfather would be disappointed" then add an agenda to it.

Anyway, to the actual day, I went along as my Grandfather who was a Tank Commander/Recon Scout and Bren Carrier Driver died earlier this year.
I inherited his medals and paperwork (among other personal effects).
The Village he and my Nan moved to, I am seen as something of a Messiah (no ego-wank meant). Seriously, everyone there welcomes me, shakes me hand, buys me drinks etc. This doesn't include the Father of the girl I had done unspeakable things to that owns the local shop. But that's besides the point.

After a very emotional time at the Church, surrounded by Veterans, Families of them and Locals, I go to the local British Legion and am subjected to a mix of questioning and praise. Phrases like -
"You best be proud wearing those medals, Son" and "Why aren't you joining up?" are thrown at me from everyone that served in WW2 to the Falklands.
I have my own reasons - namely wanting to join the RAF but not being able to due to Mental and Physical Health reasons.
I mean seriously, would you trust a guy who swings from one extreme mood to the other with a fighter jet, rifle or other ordnance?

That said I whisper to my Nan, saying "brace yourself for complaints about Muslims, Taxes and the good old days".
I ended up making this to post here - as much as I get on with these people, a few in exception as they annoyed the hell out of me, as I had heard one or more people mention the topic as a discussion point.

In short - instead of realising the futility of war and instead promoting peace and DOMESTIC defence, it just rolls over and says "yeah ok, they died, God loves you. Let's keep on fighting!"

So here's some good ol' fashioned Bingo for me to play next year.
NineEleven.png
Now I do take a risk posting this as my Username is known by some. However with the way History is changing and in my view, being warped by those who control it - namely Politicians, I feel it is necessary. Attending a Church service about those whom had died in the name of God, King and Country I do not understand why the HELL someone, who fights under God, thinks they are better than a Muji who is fighting under their God. Or placing their faith in a God they believe exists when their Son comes home from Afghan with half his head blown off in a casket?

It really doesn't make sense to me and I had to bite my tongue so damn hard. People are slowly shifting their perception but for the most part, it continues as normal and the cycle continues.
No more Lord Kitchener, no more "For King and Country!", but instead other methods of propaganda, and people give me shit for a different point of view that I don't push on them, rather put out there to test the water. It almost seems as though "if you don't wear a poppy, you hate our troops and your heritage..AND FREEDOM". The last thing I expected, but it's been here for a few years now, and only recently have I experienced it.
In fact, most active-duty Soldiers I know were in bed that day and totally ignored the 11am 2 minutes silence.
Why? Because they go through a shitload more than any Civillian could ever imagine, and deal with death on a bigger, more realistic and less romanticised scale.

Until next year. When there will be even more to remember, and no lessons learnt.

Some modern propaganda?

Even Veterans have pointed out the bullshit over here (2010 article).

Yep. The Marines financed this. I do recognise the bias of the site but it's not gonna take a Primate to realise - in order to shoot the video, you need the permission of the people who run the base. Yep. Sealed that deal. Not even gonna begin on the anti-Men message there. That's for another day.

Poppy, eh?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2012
    I need to have a clear head before I can read this post, but I will add that I just celebrated Firefly Anniversary yesterday & I didn't have a clue about the Veteran day. So, times are indeed changing :(. Sorry mate but I just for 3 hrs of sleep :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2012
    In the U.S. we call November 11th Veterans day. In the ancient Norse tradtions Novemeber 11th was the Feast of the Einheriar or the Festival of the Einherjar is also known by other names including the Festival of Odhinn, the Feast of Fallen Warriors, Heroes’ Day, the Salutation to the Heroes and Old November Day. In other words we honor our fallen warriors on the same day that one of the most successful warrior societies in history did.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2012
    Most of the active duty guys I have known over the years pay little attention to veterans day, the younger ones any way. Most of the men in my family have served at some point so around here it is just one of my family's many excuses to cook ridiculous amounts of food and get drunk.
    edited November 2012
    What is kind of weird is that the ancient Norse remembered their fallen dead on Nov 11 and the U.S. made Nov 11 veterans day because that is the day the armistice began which ended the fighting in WWI.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Now I've learnt something new! November 11th will be a date I see with Norse ties :) thanks for the enlightenment, TDR.
    As for the Veterans Day in the USA, I see blogs, news reports and videos of just how patriotic the day is andyou're right there Arkansan about active serving members of the Armed Forces - many over here don't "celebreate" the day as the public or former Armed Forces members do. Talking to a friend of mine who is a Warrant Officer, he said (paraphrased) that when a troop/soldier/comrade whatever dies in action, they reflect on it at the end of the day and move on until they come home. There is no point in getting bogged down in a warzone as death is all around you, but you just have to believe in what you are doing, do the best you can and once you return home from deployment - then is the time to reflect, meet their family (as you know them rather well given they are most likely a friend) etc.

As for the patriotism aspect over here in the UK, it's been a weird year what with events for the Queen, the Olympics and Remembrance day. Waving a Union Flag is often seen as a Right-Wing thing, but this year it's broken that "taboo" and patriotism is, to me, at an all time high. It's quite funny really - I like to think I am observing from a distance and see how History repeats itself within Society.

I also found out my Grandfather refused promotions within the Army/WW2 as he couldn't be bothered with responsibility and would have rather dug toilets in the desert and dick around in a tank than command a load and whatnot.
    He was a Lawyer.
    A good one though. Gave a lot of his time for free. I also have his documents from the War as well.
    edited November 2012
    I would rather dig latrines than fuck about in a tank.