REDDIT CONFIRMED FOR CORRUPT

In an interview recently conducted with an ex Reddit moderator, details have emerged that suggests initial speculation on content manipulation within Reddit.com for the purpose of profit for 3rd parties to be not only true, but common place in practice among certain members of its moderation team.

Although the source of these accusations has declined to comment on specific cases of such behaviour, IndieJuice has been informed that content manipulation for 3rd party profit is part of a much larger issue within Reddit’s internal posting and user relationship structure. The extent to which is currently unknown. Original allegations of content manipulation arose from members of Reddit’s own community as part of an online controversy surrounding allegations of nepotism within the video game industry.

Such allegations were dismissed by a member of Reddit’s administration team as the work of another online community, in an attempt to discredit a known games developer, as well as embroil their associates in a sex scandal, by method of an ‘internet raid’.

Given new light on the matter, such claims are only partially valid. While an attempt was made by an alternative online community to influence specific content on Reddit.com, the practice of content manipulation is itself an issue that has been common place on specific subreddits by members of their own moderation team.

IndieJuice’s source on this matter has suggested that moderators on particular subreddits have engaged in the practice of content manipulation to unfairly benefit specific websites, as well as platform favourable discussion for a 3rd party, at the price of ‘luxuries’. All of which remains unknown to the subreddit’s subscribers.

Though the source was unwilling to provide specific instances of such behaviour, examples were given. Trading ‘content flair’ and an ‘ask me anything’, for particular users, was ‘standard’ in a ‘favour for favour’ trade. Though the purpose might vary for a moderator accepting such a request, it was implied that such trades are made at an equal benefit for both parties involved.

The implication of such evidence in the case of pre-existing questions of nepotism raises further concern for the question of corruption within the video game industry. Current discussion on the matter has only ever suggested at the existence of such corruption and has, as such, been limited to possibility.

The form of corruption suggested by IndieJuice’s source is extensive. It is also very particular, in that it extends itself far beyond normal questions of ethical conduct and acceptable practice.

Though IndieJuice is unable to mention further specifics that implicate members of Reddit’s administration team in general, informal, misconduct despite the interview revealing as much, what may be said is that specific moderators are involved in the original controversy of ethical press coverage itself.

The scale of this entire issue has yet to make itself known, though the source did hint at the fact that major video game news sites, and members of their associated press, might also be involved; or at the very least, specific well-known individuals acting of their own accord.

Though the original controversy raised on Reddit focused specifically on a game developer, recent events have caused the entire ethic of journalism within the video game industry to come into question. This also includes quality of content and the nature of favourable reviews in the instance of pre-existing relationships.

Reaction to this issue has been mixed, by those both within the scope of controversy, and those beyond. What may be said is that it is no longer an issue of ‘misogynists’ on the loose in social media, but of the ability of those whom wish to express themselves being able to do so safely. On both sides of the argument.

Audio file is back up and backed up.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    Hardly a suprise. Digg went down for the same sort of thing. Call me cynical but I always suspected reddit had a dark underbelly in terms of moderation. All sites that rely on community volunteers do.

If you look at Wikipedia and how editors and contributors work you'll see the same problem.
  • Hardly a suprise. Digg went down for the same sort of thing. Call me cynical but I always suspected reddit had a dark underbelly in terms of moderation. All sites that rely on community volunteers do.

If you look at Wikipedia and how editors and contributors work you'll see the same problem.
    Dude, totally agree, I listened to the talk and I was like, fuck me. Reddit and other communities alike are pretty much self centered.