So, I have a 400 MHZ G3 tower, what should I do with it?

TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
Its a nice system running a fresh install of 8.6. I don't really want to upgrade the OS despite it can run 10.X without any real issues. Its really a toy, but I want to make it capable of doing something of value, just for the the sake of it. I want to maybe make it an internet box or something but I have it in my basement, which is far away from my modem, which is on the second floor of my house. Are there any wireless cards that would be compatible with my OS? It's not feasible to run Ethernet such a long distance.
I was thinking maybe upgrade the Processor (Have an extra 500 MHZ Sonnet G4 in with my spare parts) and install Classilla 9.2, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Things I would do:
    A) Torrent Box.
    B) Proxy Server
    C) Internet Server Box [ A custom solution, combines, twitter and other social accounts and uses a client which always stays logged in, pretty useless if you don't want to whore yourself]
    D) Bot Box [Spam bots or social networking bots]
    E) Content Server [NFS etc]
    F) Rendering Node [for lulz I guess but every mhz counts]
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, hopefully I will read this tomorrow when I'm sober, and actually do something worth posting about tomorrow, or with in a week (just because I;m really that lazy and pathetic).
    edited September 2010
    Well, the drive in it died, so I bought a 120 GB Western Digital drive to put in it. I'm going to install OS 10.4 Tiger on it and then go from there. I've given up on 8.6 as there isn't too much I can do with it without hunting down a lot of vintage software.
  • edited September 2010
    Run some kind of service for &T.
    edited January 2011
    Update: I bought a sonnet aria wireless card for it, but I haven't installed it. I was trying to install tiger on it for a while with no success, but I haven't given up completely. I haven't really done anything with it for a while (since a month after this threads last post) but I've recently started thinking about it again. The the sonnet processor needs a firmware update in order to be compatible, but I think once I update that I'll be able to install tiger on it. I've been busy learning a ton of new stuff at work because of a promotion, but I hope to be able to get back to some of my projects soon because I will have a little more money to throw at them, hopefully along with a little more drive to complete the project.
  • edited January 2011
    Awesome, good luck with it all. Keep us posted in this thread, I'm pretty interested on how it's going to go.
    edited June 2011
    Update: I bought 10.2 for it due to the issues I was having with tiger. After attempting to install it several times, I did some research and discovered it has a Rev A logic board, and apparently there were some issues with the built in IDE controllers on them. From what I've read, the only way to install OSX on them is to use the original drive, which is dead. I'm still figuring out a workaround.