Night Ops... XI? XII? Fuck knows. But it continues here.

Comments

• PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited August 2010
    Amie wrote: »
    And no shit about keeping morals out of BI, nightoppers generally HAVE morals. That's the thing that differentiates them from regular burglars.

I'm not a general nightopper. Your mind comes with a built-in ignore feature if it's too unethical for you. A true night op doesn't even involve burglary and I honestly don't give a shit if I can't carry the label as being a true operative because of that. I know that what I do works and works well because I'm able to sit here and reply to people like you instead of sitting behind bars. If and when the night ops community decides I'm against their ideals, they are more than capable of asking me to leave.

I am, however, cautious and know when not to make a mess. Not because of morals, but because doing so makes the investigation more serious. My goal is to make the investigation as light as possible. So no killing animals/people, and I did mention I only took two packs. That was hardly the entire closet. If I was there to wreak havoc I would have started dumping crushed hemlock into the water - a weed that grows abundantly around here. That's not my game.

trx100, I generally don't take pictures, but if I ever return I can take some of the security flaws and the interiors. I'm not going to take one of the entire facility as a whole for security reasons.

8/23 Edit:
    When I get some time freed up, I've got a fun little operation cooking. Nothing too wild, just something I've been wanting to do while testing equipment of mine.
  • edited September 2010
    Bumping this thread, because Night Ops is awesome.

The weather will soon be turning more rainy, colder and darker. How will this affect our NO community? Will you guys be getting out doing more ops in the wind and rain? (makes great cover :D)
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to live in a smaller town than I do now. We had a lot of fighty, drunken people there, because it was on a serious economic downturn. Jobless white guys, lookin' for fights, and soused natives trying to mug people.

I had a lot of fun nights living there. I had 10 or 20 square kilometers of light forest, government buildings, low income housing lots, and schools all stuck in this huge center block of town. Perfect operational territory. While I didn't get up to a ton of real mischief, I had a lot of fun memorizing routes and hiding spots all through this for when I met up with cars fulla OGs.

I didn't have a shit-ton of upper body strength so I kept down on ground level, but I could sprint through those forests in the pitch dark faster than most could in broad daylight. Saw a lot of people dealing/doing meth, got spotted a lot more than I should have. Got hustled often, chased almost every day for a few weeks. Fun shit!

I'd usually use mah sneaky darkness business to roll up on the 7-11 and watch wiggers get into fights. Swear to god the parking lot in front of that was like an all-night PPV tagteam event. Sometimes I'd bring a friend, but they'd always get dicey. Wish I knew some of you doods back then.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm astounded as to the amount of knowledge in this fucking thread, if only I knew half this shit when I wrote graf for a brief period.
  • edited September 2010
    stres wrote: »
    I'm astounded as to the amount of knowledge in this fucking thread, if only I knew half this shit when I wrote graf for a brief period.

What can I say bro, night-ops is awesome. I want to write some more information up, but I'm not sure what to write about. Don't worry though, I'll think of some stuff.

Guides about moving correctly, and how to stay invisible when on an Op? :D
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Guides about moving correctly, and how to stay invisible when on an Op? :D

you should do it, i can think of a few situations where disappearing into the night can be useful

Peeping-Tom.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    I really don't currently have the spare time to write that guide just yet :( It's going to be on hold for a few weeks, I have a LOT of stuff to do regarding real life stuff at the moment. That will be out of the way soon though, and the guide will follow.
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited September 2010
    On Sunday I bought 2 of these after a break in nearby: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11780

Might get some window alarms soon, which I guess might be more convenient than them, which got me thinking about other fun stuff you could use them for.

Easy and cheap way to detect when you need to hide or run? A trip wire that sets off a firework would be cheaper, but might be harder to use well in some situations.
  • edited September 2010
    Bukujutsu wrote: »
    On Sunday I bought 2 of these after a break in nearby: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11780

Might get some window alarms soon, which I guess might be more convenient than them, which got me thinking about other fun stuff you could use them for.

Easy and cheap way to detect when you need to hide or run? A trip wire that sets off a firework would be cheaper, but might be harder to use well in some situations.

A firework on a night-op? Seriously?

To detect when you need to hide or run, just check your six all the time. If someone is behind you and you need to hide, you'll notice something.
    edited September 2010
    I meant farther away from you. For example, let's say you're in a building and to be able to get away in time you would need to know when someone came through the entrance, which was out of sight.

PIRs would probably only be suitable in very few situations and the could be modded to give you a silent signal, although you'd have to be familiar with electronics.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited September 2010
    Today will be my first ever night oping experience. We're trying to find a new spot to smoke, drink, etc just between 5/6 of my friends.

Our equipment

Black everything
    Flashlights
    Backpacks for no reason...

We're unprepared but we're just looking for somewhere to go at nights.
    edited September 2010
    Combine night ops with street art or pranks, it'll make it much more fun.
  • edited September 2010
    DaSkipper wrote: »
    Today will be my first ever night oping experience. We're trying to find a new spot to smoke, drink, etc just between 5/6 of my friends.

Our equipment

Black everything
    Flashlights
    Backpacks for no reason...

We're unprepared but we're just looking for somewhere to go at nights.

Awesome man! Remember that black all over will give you a silhouette. Try and go for darker grays instead, helps you blend in.
    edited September 2010
    Awesome man! Remember that black all over will give you a silhouette. Try and go for darker grays instead, helps you blend in.

I'll tell them to go with darker grays, I only have black lol
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah. Think about it - How much stuff outside is actually pure black? Unless you're in a densely populated African village, you want to wear dark grays, or even navy blue.

Think about your surroundings - Trees/foliage? Browns and dark greens. Urban? Dark grays/blues.
    edited September 2010
    My night ops night consisted of me just getting baked with a bunch of my friends at our old spot.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm looking forward to the summer we've got ahead. I think I'm going to get myself some more opping gear, find some cool places to go and missions to do, and then document them on Totse.

Anyone else going to be doing similar things in the summer?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I have chucked smoking and srsly cut down on the drink. I am getting older so it is a bout time anyway - start of an improvement in fittness to back what it was.

There are some huge masts a couple of miles from my house that I wish to climb and while I have been up to the base of them during the day, you would be seen from miles around if you went up in daylight.

My nephews are getting to the age where they can go out and do this shit too, I have told them I will take them on some expamissions.

When I was younger, I did most of my 'night ops' thought the day - does this go against the rules of night ops?
  • edited January 2011
    Doing Ops in the day is just as cool, although it will be much harder to stay hidden. Good job though man :D

I'm getting my fitness back to where it was again, all before summer. Going to try and get it back to peak condition before I start opping and doing parkour again.
  • edited January 2011
    I totally forgot this NO thread still existed so my bad for making another one. Would the powers that be please delete that one.. and sticky THIS one!!!

Copy/paste of my flashlight post:

My collection and opinion of flashlights. First of all, ninjas got by for hundreds of years without the need for flashlights. Just another example of humanity's hopeless dependency on technology which they don't actually need. That said, I also have an unhealthy obsession with them. I have a ton of random lights, but only eight that I actually like and five that I actually use.

1. AA Minimag, upgraded with an LED and tailcap switch kit from some online store.
    2. Maglite Solataire. Tiny, and creates an equally tiny amount of light, which is perfect for situations when you need just enough illumination to see something close up without drawing attention to yourself in the dark with a brighter light.
    3. 3-D cell Maglite. Bought an LED upgrade for it from the same site. Has the option of narrowing the beam to a small circle which works well for illuminating a small area at a great distance. The LED bulb puts out slightly less light than the standard incandescent, but lasts a lot longer, obviouslty. The other reason the D cell Maglites are popular is their ability to double as a club, where need be.
    4. Shitty Chinese headlight. Very cheap but does its job. Has 3 brightness settings and is of course good for when you need light, but need both hands free for other things.
    5. SureFire 9P (incandescent). This is the most powerful of the 'small' SureFire's, putting out 100 lumens with the standard lamp (1-hour battery life) and 200 (20 minutes battery life) with the P91 upgrade lamp. The 200 lumen bulb will burn a hole through your pocket if left on. There's very little use for a light like this on a night op though. Good if you need to brightly illuminate a huge area for a short period of time. Also great for blinding people in the dark as a method of defence (believe me, it burns). You'll get no better flashlight than this.

25ui0e0.jpg
    Psychlonic wrote: »
    Even worse was a nearby standalone shed with a beefy padlock... Only problem was, the door hinges themselves were accessible and could be unscrewed, swinging open the entire assembly. :facepalm:

Like this one I found last night:

sfdkle.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    Just got back from a simple 'op'. It's a small building in the park used to store random park maintenance stuff. Purpose was simply to practice getting latches open.

The door has the usual padlock on a latch, only the latch is screwed onto the outside, with the screws exposed :facepalm: Still, it's been rusted solid in that position for probably 20 years, so it wasn't coming out without a fight. I first used a screwdriver to pry the frame part of the latch slightly, giving just enough room to get the nail-puller of a hammer round it. After much heaving the screw eventually came out and the door swung open.

Once in I snapped a few photos of myself inside and of the outside etc. I didn't even bother closing the door afterwards - that's how badass I am.

Before:
    http://oi53.tinypic.com/sfdkle.jpg
    After:
    http://i55.tinypic.com/11rf6za.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/6pq2w5.jpg
    http://i54.tinypic.com/be7lz9.png
    http://i54.tinypic.com/280kt55.png
    http://i55.tinypic.com/34g7gyh.jpg
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    Just. I didn't even bother closing the door afterwards - that's how badass I am.

That's how you get noticed brah.
  • edited January 2011
    Sure, but it's the last place on earth anyone is going to give a damn about. Considering you can see everything inside through the window they'll be scratching their heads as to why I went to all the effort to get in and then didn't even take anything.
  • edited January 2011
    I enjoyed those pictures dude, good job. Makes me want to get back into the Night Ops scene once again, although I don't really enjoy it when it's so cold and wet outside. Maybe when the weather starts getting a little better.
  • edited January 2011
    What? Stormy, wet weather is the best time to do ops. Firstly, there's practically zero chance of being seen or heard and secondly, it feels awsome being soaked and pounded with rain as you do your stuff. But then I'm not entirely sane, so... :p
  • edited January 2011
    I agree with doing Ops in the rain, that's awesome. It's just the fact that temperatures at night fall to below freezing point with some harsh winds and it sucks balls to be outside in that.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited January 2011
    As stated, it is all about planning and preparations taken before hand in combination with the common sense and capability to handle oneself whilst in the situation.
    I usually do not write out such information for obvious reasons, although this occasion was an exception.

The idea came to mind, and multiple locations were scouted before planning. Eventually decided that one location would be the most practical, and visited it a month prior during daylight, business hours, all the while making mental checks.

Leading up to date of said operation, periodically drove or walked by at night, to feel out the situation and gain a realistic sense of how it was going to be, without going over the fence. While preparedness is optimal, such a method as visiting the location must be handled with care as to not blow the main goal.

Notes that I had made the week leading up to the event, which I reviewed and made alterations as they came.
    Before
    • On drive by:
    • Sensory:
      1. Lights
      2. Cars
      3. Music/Sounds
      4. Movement
      • Angle 1 - Front View
      • Angle 2 - Side View

During
    1. Reach Entry Point:
    • Sensory Check: (Pause for)
    • Sound/movement/light from within
    • Car Lights outside
    When Clear:
    • Lift and enter

Created a pulley system prior to arriving at the location in order to lift said objects above fence, originally planned to set up upon initial entry, although ultimately decided to wait until the time of, in case of needed escape without a trace.
    1. Inside (over fence)
    • Sensory Check
    Move to position 3
    • Sensory Check
    • Prepare pick-up B
    Move to position 5
    • Sensory Check
    • Prepare pick-up A
    • Sensory Check
      • Both pick-ups were prepared and ready for exit (meaning set up to accommodate pulley)
    Move to position 3 (with pick-up A)
    • Obtain Pick-up B
    Move to exit prep. point
    • Sensory check
    • Set up pulley system
    • Prepare pick-up A & B for evacuation
    • Pause - sensory check
    Move to exit point
    • Pick-up A over
    • Sensory check
    • Pick-up B over
    • Sensory check
    • Break down pulley
    • PAUSE! - for clear exit

Notes:

Clearly, most of the time spent was watching one's ass with sensory checks. Although proved useful as a rather questionable moment presented itself and ended up waiting it out for roughly ten minutes. (kept time throughout)

First time experimenting without the use of shoes. Started with a lightweight shoe on, although ended up leaving them at the entry as even they proved to be to loud against gravel. Wore multiple layers of socks going in anticipating such an event, and proved to be rather silent, although the excess shoes were one more step when exiting.

Explanation of Locations:
    • Entry/exit point
    • Position 3
    • Position 5
    • Exit point prep.

Found it necessary to have a location close to the exit in order to prepare pick-ups without bringing any attention to individual or the location during the process.

Positions are marked as "3" and "5" as compound was rather large and used adjacent telephone poles for reference points as to my location, starting with "1" at the entry point, as they were consistently visible from within.

Although successful in the end, the solo exit would have gone over cleaner with the aide of a driver.

Overall ended up with some much appreciated Christmas gifts. :mad:
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    BI will have a night-ops sticky within the next few days. This can happen in one of two ways.

1) This thread is stickied and kaiser (or me with his permission) edits the resources and links into the OP.

or

2) I make a master night-ops thread with links to resources and all of the other night-ops threads.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I need some ideas for Night Ops or Urbex where I live. Shame it's Cop Capital :(
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I need some ideas for Night Ops or Urbex where I live. Shame it's Cop Capital :(

Cop capital eh? That's just making it a little more fun and interesting. Whatever you do, avoid the police at all costs. Take extra measures to make sure that you don't get caught, or even spotted :D Make it a little game. They're not going to catch you, so just use your night ops skills to your advantage and always be a step ahead of the cops.
    edited April 2011
    At the very least, there should be a stickied night ops thread. *hinthint*:cool:
    People having been asking for a dedicated Night Ops forum since the first thread way back when.
    Why hasn't this fucking thread been stickied? :mad:
    Psychlonic wrote: »
    It just wouldn't feel the same if night ops were actually accepted by the staff of another forum. :D Traditionally it's been the red headed step-child that everyone refuses to acknowledge the existence of.
    Night oppers rejoice!
    The long overdue sticky is here. Whenever kaiser returns, the OP can be improved on.
    edited April 2011
    I'm currently bored as shit. It's just gone 7pm (shit, time flies) and after napping today I don't think I'll be sleeping any time soon.
    Anyone have any kind of challenges or objectives for a Night Ops? I live in a nicely populated area and just need something to motivate me. Set me a challenge, albeit not ridiculous, and I'll see what I can do. Pictures are optional as that could give my location, and legal integrity away.

Edit: This is the kinda thing I am thinking about. Hmm. Time to do some Uni work and have a think.
  • edited April 2011
    Night-ops Wheatpasting session. Get your Totse propaganda, and climb up a building. Slap up your poster, paste it and get the fuck out of there :) Rinse and repeat. If you're low on wheatpaste or posters, spray paint it or something.
    edited April 2011
    Night-ops Wheatpasting session. Get your Totse propaganda, and climb up a building. Slap up your poster, paste it and get the fuck out of there :) Rinse and repeat. If you're low on wheatpaste or posters, spray paint it or something.

I'm planning on that when I'm not in my hometown or Uni town as people can go on here and easily link me with it ;)
    But that has given me some other ideas. Might just spend tonight on a recon mission/observing pissed people from the rooftops (if I can get there without CCTV watching my every. fucking. move.)
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I'm planning on that when I'm not in my hometown or Uni town as people can go on here and easily link me with it ;)
    But that has given me some other ideas. Might just spend tonight on a recon mission/observing pissed people from the rooftops (if I can get there without CCTV watching my every. fucking. move.)

Of course you... Possibly can. Do you know where the security cameras are located? You should be able to get around them. If not, you can blind them using a laster pointer.
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited April 2011
    Shaving my head tonight (hair is around 80cm long) as the weather is starting to cool down, making it perfect for some ops. Living in semi-tropical Australia, it's pretty much impossible to wear long sleeved shirts or pants in Summer. In previous 'seasons', my long hair has gotten in the way, filled with dirt and shit and generally annoying. So it's going.

Might head out tonight or tomorrow night and do some basic 'totse.info' tags around the place.
  • edited April 2011
    Shaving my head tonight (hair is around 80cm long) as the weather is starting to cool down, making it perfect for some ops. Living in semi-tropical Australia, it's pretty much impossible to wear long sleeved shirts or pants in Summer. In previous 'seasons', my long hair has gotten in the way, filled with dirt and shit and generally annoying. So it's going.

Might head out tonight or tomorrow night and do some basic 'totse.info' tags around the place.

That's very, very long.

Following my post on flashlights I'll be doing a brief guide on gloves a bit later.
  • edited April 2011
    That's very, very long.

Following my post on flashlights I'll be doing a brief guide on gloves a bit later.

Looking forward to that! It's definitely getting into Night Ops weather now so expect to see some NO threads containing stories and other shit which I encounter on the way.
    edited April 2011
    That's very, very long.

Yep, took 4 years to grow it. Now it's all gone:)

Looking forward to the guide on gloves...
    edited April 2011
    Just got back home from a quick op. Nothing extreme, mainly just recon to get me back into the swing of things.

Left at 1835, hoping to get back around 1905. The temperature here is still quite high andl, even though it is Autumn, it almost felt like a long, midsummer night. Because of this, long periods of time on foot were never going to be acheivable, hence the half an hour time frame.

Two objectives tonight:

1- Mark 'totse.info' in as many places as possible
    2- Check out some skips around the place

Walking to my first destination, an area with a large amount of street signs which were perfect for some totse 'advertisement', I noticed a boat parked in a driveway, with a variety of fishing rods, tackle and a cast net lieing on the ground next to it. As a very, very keen fisherman, this opportunity was hard to pass up, but, alas, I went on without taking anything. I was almost tempted to write something like 'take better care of your stuff, or it won't be yours anymore', but I left quickly after neighbourhood dogs going nuts and heard a gate open roughly 20m away.

I finished my 'advertising' on a few street signs and made way to the next objective: looking at the contents of some skips. Skips are basically large dumpsters that people rent to pile rubbish in, which the company then takes away. These skips are usually full of treasures, and in the past I have found trolleys, working TVs, skateboards in good condition and, once, a 3hp outboard motor (which I reconditioned and sold for $400.) Tonight however, results were negligible.

First skip contained nothing but empty cans of XXXX, broken slabs of concrete and other garden mess. Nothing exciting, so I moved on. Next was more exciting, containing a well-used pillow, gardening tools, a baby's cot (which seemed to be in good condition) and a few piles of newspapers. I would have taken the gardening tools, but I had no backpack on me and did not want to carry them home, so I left them there.

Arrived home at 1938, half an hour after I wanted, but had fun. It felt good to be back out there in the dark again.
  • edited April 2011
    Just got back home from a quick op. Nothing extreme, mainly just recon to get me back into the swing of things.

Left at 1835, hoping to get back around 1905. The temperature here is still quite high andl, even though it is Autumn, it almost felt like a long, midsummer night. Because of this, long periods of time on foot were never going to be acheivable, hence the half an hour time frame.

Two objectives tonight:

1- Mark 'totse.info' in as many places as possible
    2- Check out some skips around the place

Walking to my first destination, an area with a large amount of street signs which were perfect for some totse 'advertisement', I noticed a boat parked in a driveway, with a variety of fishing rods, tackle and a cast net lieing on the ground next to it. As a very, very keen fisherman, this opportunity was hard to pass up, but, alas, I went on without taking anything. I was almost tempted to write something like 'take better care of your stuff, or it won't be yours anymore', but I left quickly after neighbourhood dogs going nuts and heard a gate open roughly 20m away.

I finished my 'advertising' on a few street signs and made way to the next objective: looking at the contents of some skips. Skips are basically large dumpsters that people rent to pile rubbish in, which the company then takes away. These skips are usually full of treasures, and in the past I have found trolleys, working TVs, skateboards in good condition and, once, a 3hp outboard motor (which I reconditioned and sold for $400.) Tonight however, results were negligible.

First skip contained nothing but empty cans of XXXX, broken slabs of concrete and other garden mess. Nothing exciting, so I moved on. Next was more exciting, containing a well-used pillow, gardening tools, a baby's cot (which seemed to be in good condition) and a few piles of newspapers. I would have taken the gardening tools, but I had no backpack on me and did not want to carry them home, so I left them there.

Arrived home at 1938, half an hour after I wanted, but had fun. It felt good to be back out there in the dark again.

You built a time machine? :D

Sounded fun :thumbsup:
    edited April 2011
    Come on, there's gotta be a few others going out lately? From what I know, it's starting to heat up a fair bit over there in the states, and it's just starting to cool down enough here in Australia to be able to get some night ops in. Anyone done anything at all?

Might be going out tonight, possibly a black op rather than a night op. Might find something worth taking.
  • edited April 2011
    I've been going out every day for the past week, practicing my skills. There hasn't really been anywhere I'd like to explore lately so my ops have all been based around practice. I've been working on walking silently, climbing, hiding/blending in with surroundings etc. I need to work more on my upper body strength (it's gone to shit since I stopped going to the gym), and dropping silently.

Just two days ago, I went out on an Op and found two people in a car, making out in the middle of fucking nowhere. At first, it looked like two girls making out! I went over to the car to get you guys a picture, and one of the girls turned out to be a guy :facepalm:
  • edited April 2011
    Come on, there's gotta be a few others going out lately? From what I know, it's starting to heat up a fair bit over there in the states, and it's just starting to cool down enough here in Australia to be able to get some night ops in. Anyone done anything at all?

Might be going out tonight, possibly a black op rather than a night op. Might find something worth taking.

I'd be terrified to op in Aus in the summer with all the spiders you guys have there. I'm not scared of any snake; no matter how big or poisonous; spiders however...

1. Funnelweb spider
    2. Black Widow (Redback)
    3. Huntsman spider
    4. Brown Recluse (Violin spider)
    5. Scorpions?

All those spiders are likely to be encountered in bushy places; exactly the places you'll be moving in on many ops. Black widows are everywhere in urban areas. Piles of wood, behind drain pipes, under window ledges; basically anywhere relatively undisturbed. It's not just the fact that they're very dangerous but they look fucking awful and the thought of them getting into my clothes and touching me... :(
  • edited April 2011
    ^ I see your problem man :( we have spiders too, but they're basically harmless. They still creep me out though, but when you're in the dark you can't really see them anyway. I usually just disregard things like that when I'm out on an Op, as there are other things to be concentrating on.
    edited April 2011
    I'm not scared of any snake; no matter how big or poisonous; spiders however...

But just about every snake in Aussieland is venomous. FFS even the fish down there are venomous.
    edited April 2011
    Spiders and snakes don't generally worry me. It's getting too cold for there to be any snake problems now. I'd be much more concerned about having a syringe go through my shoe, infecting me with some HIV junkie blood, than getting attacked by a snake or spider.

That being said, I did have a spider bite about halfway through Summer this year. It got me on my little finger, and the skin dried, ruptured and cracked apart a few days later, looking somewhat like a healing burn. Healed fine though.

And most of the snakes you encounter here aren't venomous, around where I live at least. The most common species of snake I see are the green tree snake and whip snake, followed by the very deadly, very aggressive brown snake.

Anyway, back on topic. I didn't get to do an op last night. It started pissing down around 16:00, so I decided against going out and had an early night.
  • maxman551maxman551 Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    going out tonight, thinking of doing a little "car shopping" noones posted here in almost a month but ill post what i get when i return... still not time to go out yet though its only 5:12 but im just a little excited :) havent been out in awhile
  • edited May 2011
    It's best not to admit to crimes on the internet, even if you meant that hypothetically. Anyway, get back to us and tell us how you got on :)