TOTSE, motivate me to go get a job

MegaKushMegaKush Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So ive been "job hunting" for 3 weeks now on the internet, posting resumes on craigslist and looking on sites like Monster or Snagajob for work. This hasnt been effective at all.

I realized a while ago that i have to go out (into the real world) and ask for applications in person. To me it seems awkward for some reason to just walk up to a cashier and say "hey, could i have an application please?". I know this is what i have to do to land a job but i have hesitated each time i have thought about going out. All the jobs i had in the past came to me, now i have to actively look for one.

Any words of advice? Motivational statements you can give me? I really need some support here.

Comments

• eindeind Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    In the 'real world,' you must suck up to people. Even if you'll hate yourself, do it. Set aside your principles and give people what they want. Eventually, you'll get what you want and others may be sucking up to you instead.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    MegaKush wrote: »
    So ive been "job hunting" for 3 weeks now on the internet, posting resumes on craigslist and looking on sites like Monster or Snagajob for work. This hasnt been effective at all.

I realized a while ago that i have to go out (into the real world) and ask for applications in person. To me it seems awkward for some reason to just walk up to a cashier and say "hey, could i have an application please?". I know this is what i have to do to land a job but i have hesitated each time i have thought about going out. All the jobs i had in the past came to me, now i have to actively look for one.

Any words of advice? Motivational statements you can give me? I really need some support here.

That's strange because EVERY person I know getting hired is getting hired through Craigslist or Monster or some other online job resume site. I am old fashioned and will never do that online crap even when it's the norm. Even today it's about 1 in 4 places that actually have papers to fill out. Nearly every business now has a dedicated computer to fill out the application when you walk in.

Shits a changing man and I DONT LIKE IT! Only motivation I could give you is for an interview. Own that shit, speak as though it's YOUR business already you are working for regardless if it's a burger joint or a position for CEO. Show pride and enthusiasm to begin contributing and they will take note. Don't prepare for interviews either. You should walk in with a civil attitude and treat the person as a "friend" in the form of someone you are comfortable with who isn't strange. Don't pat them on the back or anything gay like that or take it overboard, but there is no reason not to treat the person as someone who isn't intimidating being they hold your fate in their hands.

Preparing for interviews is how a lot of people fuck shit up. They start making up those cliché one liners and the typical high school teeny booper bullshit that does nothing for the interviewer in terms other than "She has a nice ass." Speak from the heart and mind while trying to watch your language. Be honest and don't lie just to get the job. State how you feel and why, if the question is personal or goes sour. Explaining yourself is the key, not whether or not you just said something you know they didn't like to hear.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    lol even I don't find it awkward to ask for an application. I just got depressed with never hearing back from employers when I'd go out and drop 30 resumes off in a week so I stopped looking.

I'm looking at volunteer options now so I can beef up my resume a bit.
  • Fetus-SmasherFetus-Smasher Regular
    edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    In the 'real world,' you must suck up to people. Even if you'll hate yourself, do it. Set aside your principles and give people what they want. Eventually, you'll get what you want and others may be sucking up to you instead.

Sucks to say but this is very true.
  • edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

Oh god, yeah. Suck up SO much, and they'll think you're willing to do anything short of kissing thier shoes. It's a great way of showing you're keen too, even if you're not.
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited July 2010
    grab your balls and talk to the manager. It's the only real chance.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yesterday I went to 6 places to look for a job. I just need any old shitty, random ass job. I don't care if it's best buy or whatever, just something halfway tolerable. My experience was: lots of places make you fill out applications online. There is no paper one anymore. That, or they said bring in a resume and we'll let you know.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the support guys. Someone responded to my CL posting, they emailed me with a phone number. I am so excited now, if they responded to my shitty ad then im pretty sure i have a good chance of getting the job
  • Pill PopperPill Popper Regular
    edited July 2010

If you don't get off your lazy ass
    My foot will go up your ass

Think about the drugs/booze/women you could get if you had cold hard cash
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »

Really

I heard they treat their employees like shit
    edited July 2010
    money is money. best buy seems like a fun place to work
    edited July 2010
    Really

Lmao, welcome to America, where everyone is treated like shit unless you're rich. Any job on that level is going to be full of lots of angry customers and incompetent management. I'm applying for jobs at bookstores. Angry people never go to bookstores, and people who are mad about book purchases are easy enough for me to deal with. I've thought about working at best buy simply because I'm good with electronics and I won't try to get people to buy a usb cable when they asked for a sata one, like the incompetent jackass did when I asked where the sata cables were.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I'm applying for jobs at bookstores. Angry people never go to bookstores, and people who are mad about book purchases are easy enough for me to deal with.

Quick, deal with this customer:

"What are you talking about? This book comes in 3 unique covers! I already own 2 of them! I just phoned this store 10 minutes ago asking if you have the cover with the unicorn on it and the woman that answered the phone said there were a bunch in stock! No no, that's not a unicorn! That's a horse! I WANT THE UNICORN!"

"Ma'am? You called me a Ma'am? I'M A FUCKING SIR DAMMIT! JUST BECAUSE I WEAR A SPORTS BRA TO SUPPORT MY MOOBIES DOESN'T MEAN I'M A WOMAN!"

"NO! SHOVE THAT CHILL PILL UP YOUR ASS!"
    edited July 2010
    I'm very sorry to hear about that. I'll check and see if we have any in stock.

Unfortunately it looks like someone bought the last copy right before you came in. I can go ahead and order you one and put it on hold for you.

Those are very nice moobies, by the way.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited July 2010
    Really

Every minimum wage job is going to be shitty. Just suck it up, we all did it. You have to start at the bottom, unless your daddy is a minionaire with a golden titty, you're going to have to do just like we all did. Quit being a pansy, you have to stay persistent. And call them back.

I was a store manager at an auto parts store, and unless someone called back, I just threw the application in the box and let it sit there. Show some initiative. Because if you don't, someone else will.
    edited July 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Every minimum wage job is going to be shitty. Just suck it up, we all did it. You have to start at the bottom, unless your daddy is a minionaire with a golden titty, you're going to have to do just like we all did. Quit being a pansy, you have to stay persistent. And call them back.

I was a store manager at an auto parts store, and unless someone called back, I just threw the application in the box and let it sit there. Show some initiative. Because if you don't, someone else will.

I ain't ever gonna work there
    I actually love my job
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited July 2010
    Fact: Even I have a job....
  • vOmitreevOmitree Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Online applications are pretty much meaningless to employers unless they're desperate(see dishwashing LOL) or you actually take the initiative to approach them after sending an application and announce who you are and that you're interesting in working for them. It can be awkward at first, but if you keep doing it over and over again, you'll start getting a systematic approach to the ordeal. I find it also helps to dress up and speak confidently, and without desperation(unless uuuzz a bitch). BEst of Luck!
  • MaddoMaddo New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    I've gotten two jobs this year through online applications followed by face to face interviews.

I quit the first one because it was selling AUSTAR (Pay TV/Cable for you Americans/Euro's) door to door, and i'm utterly useless at dealing with people. I start my mechanics apprenticeship next week.

I also applied for a job with the State rail service, but they got back to me after i signed up for the apprenticeship. So i'm really 3/3 from online applications.

I've filled in two paper applications, and am 0/2 from those (both were retail).

TL;DR = Online > other.
    edited July 2010
    yeah i just called some telemarketing guy thats less than a mile from my house and he said to come in tomorrow for an interview, hourly pay plus compensation. Im guna be that annoying prick that calls your home phone right when ur about to fuck ur wife haha.

Has anyone else been a telemarketer before?
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited July 2010
    megakush u gotta get a job
    wake up in morning
    dont b a slob
    tuck in ur shirt and ware good shose
    do wut i say
    and u wont lose
    hit starbucks hit safeways
    hit chilys hit fridays
    hit berger king and lows
    hit the blax with there corn rows
    aply at gardin stors and six flags
    there u mite check bags
    remimber i-contact and handshake
    wate till after the interview 2 bake
    look cleen tidey and smile a lot
    ull b hired ull b glad u fot
    :o:o:o:o:o
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    Watch Yes Man, it's pretty inspirational.
  • Fetus-SmasherFetus-Smasher Regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah i just called some telemarketing guy thats less than a mile from my house and he said to come in tomorrow for an interview, hourly pay plus compensation. Im guna be that annoying prick that calls your home phone right when ur about to fuck ur wife haha.

Has anyone else been a telemarketer before?

I've done that before. It's fun and frustrating. But no joke find out who does the best and try to learn from them, some of those places pay well in commissions.
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited July 2010

Just get the word out on the streets that you take it up the ass for money. Then proceed to make a profit out of horny black men.
    edited July 2010
    brandon wrote: »
    megakush u gotta get a job
    wake up in morning
    dont b a slob
    tuck in ur shirt and ware good shose
    do wut i say
    and u wont lose
    hit starbucks hit safeways
    hit chilys hit fridays
    hit berger king and lows
    hit the blax with there corn rows
    aply at gardin stors and six flags
    there u mite check bags
    remimber i-contact and handshake
    wate till after the interview 2 bake
    look cleen tidey and smile a lot
    ull b hired ull b glad u fot
    :o:o:o:o:o

As much as I dislike brandon, this post was actually really good advice. As an expert holding 3 degrees in literature, I can safely say that this poem was good.
    edited July 2010
    yeah that poem was awesome. im going to Ross in a bit to get a nice dress shirt because the only clothes i have now are 2xl Pro Clubs and baggy Dickies