Requiem Memento Mori: The first free MMORPG I've fallen in love with in a while

ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
This game is fucking bad, and I mean that in the good way, as in "this game is bad ass, nigga bitch."

It's apparently the "first" (not too sure about this) MMO to dub itself a "horror MMORPG".

requiem-zoomed-in.jpg

requiem-shine.jpg

The general ambiance certainly leaves you feeling as if you're in a hostile, cold world full of terrible creatures. The monsters truly are horrifying and even the lowest level creatures are sickening and seem like something out of an HP lovecraft story. Unfortunately this game doesn't seem to have much, if any story at all.

That honestly doesn't bother me much, as I find it much better to get baked out of my skull and just imagine the story myself, making shit up as I go along. Many of the areas are very stimulating to the imagination, the towering buildings & various constructs including the prisons & what not seem to exude darkness.

I fell in love with it as soon as my character attacked the first goblin training dummy in the tutorial. I'm sick of retarded fucking MMOs where you're attacking boars/rats/lame as fuck mobs that just disappear when you kill them. The gore is excellent, and the graphics in this game are nice enough (nothing spectacular but pretty night) that if you have a good set up & are into such things you'll probably pop a boner.

You "have" to be 17+ to play which seems to have actually resulted in a slightly more adult community, there's very little dumbassery and faggotry, at least so far as I have seen. It's not a huge community but there's enough people to party and/or PVP with. So far I haven't really done either but I do plan on PVPing the shit out of this game soon.

The XP gain is fast but not over powering, 1 v 1 most monsters you'll have no problem attacking mobs that are 4+ levels stronger than you as long as you know how to play these types of games...but after about level ~10 or so you'll start fighting mobs that will absolutely love to "call for help" or just straight rush you with several of their friends. This keeps its challenging.

There are plenty of quests to keep you occupied, a map system that makes sense and works with the quest tracking system, and various features that let you travel around quickly. There are a few light steam punk elements as well, such as the wing rider which is a plan that lets you travel to certain destinations.

There's an enchanting/craft system for those of you are that are into that, as well, though I haven't experimented much with it. In fact there's plenty more to this game that I haven't explored yet, so you might want to read these links if yr interested:

http://mmohut.com/review/requiem-memento-mori
http://www.playrequiem.com/

I play on the PVP server, "Hammerine", a level ~14 rogue "Nihilizo". Hit me up if you decide to play.

Some of the downloads for the clients are really shitty so it might take a minute to find one that works, but its worth it fo' sho'. Very few free MMOs stand out at all, most of them being straight WoW clones. This one is, in my opinion, absolutely delightful and worth a try, though.

Comments

• TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Cool I just signed up, downloading now, 5 hours left lol.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    looks good, downloading now.
    edited July 2010
    Just started playing, the leveling is pretty fast. I like this game...
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^^Which server & what not?
  • TripleDotTripleDot New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Holy piss, I used to play this. My current craptop sucks too much to run it though.
    edited July 2010
    ^^Which server & what not?

Hammerine, main character is Morningside.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited July 2010
    We should form a TOTSE clan for this game, bro.
    Anyone know how big this game is? Thinking of downloading it.
    And does it download huge updates?
    edited July 2010
    BigBro wrote: »
    We should form a TOTSE clan for this game, bro.
    Anyone know how big this game is? Thinking of downloading it.
    And does it download huge updates?

a few gigs, moderate size updates.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited August 2010
    A few gigs... to download?
    That's a no no, bro. I've got a bandwidth to watch.
    edited August 2010
    I think the download was 2 gigs.
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited August 2010
    So tell me, what does someone like you find interesting in a mmorpg?

I didn't think you would be the type of person that plays these.
    edited August 2010
    What do you mean "someone like you"? I'm nothing like anything.
    edited August 2010
    What do you mean "someone like you"? I'm nothing like anything.

avoiding the question?
    edited August 2010
    No...How can I answer it when I have no idea what you mean by my "kind" of person. What does that mean? A totse poster? A drug user? A freak, a weirdo? Why do you think I would restrict myself from anything in life instead of embracing everything whole heartedly, including datura & MMOs?
    edited August 2010
    No...How can I answer it when I have no idea what you mean by my "kind" of person. What does that mean? A totse poster? A drug user? A freak, a weirdo? Why do you think I would restrict myself from anything in life instead of embracing everything whole heartedly, including datura & MMOs?

let me reword my question

"what do you find interesting in a mmorpg?"
    Why do you think I would restrict myself from anything in life instead of embracing everything whole heartedly, including datura & MMOs?

you might as well watch reality shows on tv all day then, or murder children and rape neighborhood pets......surely you draw the line somewhere?

edit: I gotta go to work, when I get back I'll post with you some more lol
    edited August 2010
    you might as well watch reality shows on tv all day then, or murder children and rape neighborhood pets......surely you draw the line somewhere?

I watched enough TV as a child to know that its absofuckinglutely worthless, whereas I have always found great enjoyment in games. For me, they stimulate imagination & it is always interesting to enter a world created by another mind, much like reading. Adding a social aspect to gaming also creates several more layers that could not otherwise be accessed through single player gaming.

Now, perhaps if I had some hidden obsession or addiction with gaming I could kind of understand you asking "lolwtf rizzo why u so into this shit" but really there is no legitimate reason to question a persons choice of pleasure as long as it isn't harming them. As it is, I've barely been able to play this game at all.
    edited August 2010
    I'm almost level 30 now, fuck yearrr.
    edited August 2010
    I watched enough TV as a child to know that its absofuckinglutely worthless, whereas I have always found great enjoyment in games. For me, they stimulate imagination & it is always interesting to enter a world created by another mind, much like reading. Adding a social aspect to gaming also creates several more layers that could not otherwise be accessed through single player gaming.

Now, perhaps if I had some hidden obsession or addiction with gaming I could kind of understand you asking "lolwtf rizzo why u so into this shit" but really there is no legitimate reason to question a persons choice of pleasure as long as it isn't harming them. As it is, I've barely been able to play this game at all.

I can see where you're coming from.

Something about trying to gain wealth and status in an online game just turns me off.
  • 4206942069 Regular
    edited August 2010
    this link doesn't work for me, says I'm unauthorized to view the page,
    http://www.playrequiem.com/

same thing happens when I click download now

You are not authorized to view this page
    You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

what's that about?

and I'm down for a totse clan
    edited August 2010
    ^^ works for me, perhaps your internets are inferior to mine.
    edited August 2010
    So is anyone else here playing this?
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering it. Is it worthwhile? I've played MMOs before and they've been lackluster in terms of gameplay and character progression. Is it the typical grindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrind to infinity?
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited August 2010
    If this game sucks...I swear to god.
    edited August 2010
    wood wrote: »
    Considering it. Is it worthwhile? I've played MMOs before and they've been lackluster in terms of gameplay and character progression. Is it the typical grindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrind to infinity?

If it was I wouldn't play it. You level up pretty fast. I got to lvl 5 in just a few minutes on the tutorial.

As for skill progression, its more about putting more points into a few skills that you actually use rather than learning a bunch of skills that are nearly useless.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    If it was I wouldn't play it. You level up pretty fast. I got to lvl 5 in just a few minutes on the tutorial.

As for skill progression, its more about putting more points into a few skills that you actually use rather than learning a bunch of skills that are nearly useless.
    Cool. Might give it a crack. I'll download it at work later in the week, looking at the classes it looks pretty good. I was going to play D&D online but found out they don't have a druid class :o
    edited August 2010
    Cool. Might give it a crack. I'll download it at work later in the week, looking at the classes it looks pretty good. I was going to play D&D online but found out they don't have a druid class :o

I didn't even know that game existed. And theres no necromancer class either, fuck. Sorcerer looks ok, but I think I'll stick to Requiem for now.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't even know that game existed. And theres no necromancer class either, fuck. Sorcerer looks ok, but I think I'll stick to Requiem for now.
    Yeah, it's D&D 3.5 so you can probably be a necromancer as a subclass of mage... but it's not really free once you're past the lower levels.

Anyway, I'm dl'ing R:MM now, but I have no way of transferring it from work so I'll have to wait until friday either way.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's D&D 3.5 so you can probably be a necromancer as a subclass of mage... but it's not really free once you're past the lower levels.

Anyway, I'm dl'ing R:MM now, but I have no way of transferring it from work so I'll have to wait until friday either way.

let me know when you sign up, I have an alt that needs levelling and Ill help you out. and everyone else that joins lmk. sorry for barely comprehensible post.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    let me know when you sign up, I have an alt that needs levelling and Ill help you out. and everyone else that joins lmk. sorry for barely comprehensible post.
    kekek, dw I understand, it's the goon talking.
    edited August 2010
    DDO is pretty fucking down, too. Personally I'm waiting for LOTRO to go free to play, which is supposed to happen this fall.
    edited August 2010
    DDO is pretty fucking down, too. Personally I'm waiting for LOTRO to go free to play, which is supposed to happen this fall.

fuck yearrrr I'll be on LOTR if its free. Havent seen you on requiem lately, what lvl you at?
    edited August 2010
    I'm only lvl 20, I've been doing stuff like reading and learning. :(

haha
    edited August 2010
    I'm only lvl 20, I've been doing stuff like reading and learning. :(

haha

While you've been doing something productive, i've been drinking wine and advancing to level 32 haha!:o:o:o
  • 4206942069 Regular
    edited August 2010
    is there a plot, or what do i do, i'm mostly doing quests for the citizens, they seem to appreciate it

and is there a way to make it widescreen, xres=1360 yres=768 didn't work
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    Getting an error that says I'm not connected to the interwebs :(

I'll try it again in the morning. After I learn some Primus riffs.