Brian Eno

FONFON Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I was introduced to the bizarre world of Brian Eno at around age 14...Took me about 4 years until it actually clicked, but the man has some great ideas and his originality is unquestionable. Any other fans here? Favourite albums? Songs?

I had Another Green World and Here Come The Warm Jets for a long time but Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy) was the album that made his music click for me...Probably the fact that I was tripping balls on acid helped. That album has some seriously mindfucking songs on it. I would say that he is very hit or miss with his tunes though. No album is perfect, but there is always flashes of brilliance.

For those unfamiliar with his music, here are a few songs... contained within the spoilers to save space

Third Uncle (Taking Tiger Mountain - 1974) - The scratchy, manic strumming in this song really did my head in the first time I heard it. Considering it was released in 1974 I'd say it was leagues ahead of its time.

The Big Ship (Another Green World - 1975) - By far my favourite Eno song. Every note is perfect, nothing is overdone, the way it slowly builds upon itself, the imagery it gives...Like being on the bow of a yacht sailing toward a sunset...Or something along those lines :P

Blank Frank (Here Come The Warm Jets - 1974) - This song has always reminded me of something Zappa would do. Energetic, zany and chaotic. Contains Robert Fripp on guitar.

Comments

• parachristian teenagerparachristian teenager Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    When I die, I would like a proper Viking funeral with my casket set aflame and floated out to sea while "The Big Ship" blasts on loudspeakers. Either that or "Maggot Brain".
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    When I die, I would like a proper Viking funeral with my casket set aflame and floated out to sea while "The Big Ship" blasts on loudspeakers. Either that or "Maggot Brain".

Best. Funeral. Ever.