House Of Leaves (Mark Z. Danielewski)

FONFON Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
Any other fans of this book? Quite the mind-fuck...The whole thing did my head in at the time I was reading it. Even the book became like a strange object to me, similar to the way the rooms in the house were described....Though I was probably just smoking too much weed at the time.

The formatting was absolutely bizarre and just the way it was being told was very odd....I can't even find the words right now to explain it (nor am I sure I can remember correctly). A tattooist poring over and writing on manuscripts written by a crazy old bum talking about a video documentary on the house? The Navidson Record I believe the videos were called....

Very eery at times...The way people would start to lose themselves once they entered the house's infinite hallways...Hearing people lost inside as if they were just beyond their walls, but were actually miles away inside the house...The descriptions at times reminded me of that painting where all the staircases are arranged in impossible ways. Upside down, vertical, horizontal etc. I can't think of the name of it...

I really must read it again. Would love to purchase a copy but I can never find it anywhere. Quite impressive seeing as it was Danielewski's debut novel. I think it had such a profound effect on me because I had absolutely no idea or expectation on what the book was about.

Anyway...Continue